Not having a very good experience with the freestyle libre :(

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put mine on the back of my arm as far away from any muscle (not too difficult with my build ) and closer to my armpit rather than my elbow.

I could live with the error a couple of times a day but sometimes I can't scan for a couple of hours and there are gaps in my daily graph which coincide with the periods I get the error, so the sensor isn't recording any data at all.

I'm now 7 days into my current sensor and I've had my first day without errors!! I've had steady readings all day between 4-7 so a really good day for me

I have made 1 change which I don't know if it would effect the sensor or not. I normally drink a lot of sugar free energy drinks throughout the day (I mean a LOT) and have stopped completely for the last two days. It's something I needed to do anyway because they're so bad for you and if that's why my sensor has decided to start working then great but I'll never really know that. All I can tell you is caffeine withdrawal really sucks haha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had exactly the same problems. 4 sensors in, 3 were faulty and have been returned. I don't believe this is completely reliable at the moment.

Make sure you return your faulty sensors, they've replaced all mine for free and it's in all our interests to help them make this a reliable system.

It's a massive improvement over finger pricks (when working).

Good luck.

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree. At the end of the day, when this thing works I feel like I'm not a diabetic anymore, it's even fun to be able to scan my arm and my friends do it too if I'm out drinking with them! it's a breakthrough in diabetes management and I would rather give the company my feedback so as they can improve in the future than sit here moaning about it. I think Abbott need to be more open about error messages and what they mean. Together we can all benefit :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had four sensors so far, one I broke myself, one gave readings i now think far too low. the third gave readings far too high which is being replaced and the fourth is even worse. Based on the evidence so far I am going to have to get than one replaced after xmas too. I too would dearly love it to work, but at present the figures are not at all helpful.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great experience with the 3 sensors I've used so far!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First one that I accidentally placed too high and gave me low readings could mot have my usual tubi grip put over it.

Had another hot sweat tonight and accidentally caught it on my jumper when removing it.. and it fell off!!

Ggggrrrr. My fault. Put slightly too high...

Annoyed at this, knew it was wrong after it went in.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I put the 2nd sensor the width of two fingers further up my arm.. which was more toward the lower part of my shoulder part of arm really. It was the highest place I had put it, totally my fault and I think this also reflected in the readings. Probably getting used a lot more when stretching/walking etc... not that this should be a reason but having no fat in that part at all, it was more in working muscle I would say. Further down my arm I have now lost some muscle and I do have slight skin looseness for sensor to be better placed for me.

Totally my fault, I would say. Lesson learnt!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the best place for my sensors is - hold arm out in front with palm down. Grab hold of the fleshy bit between elbow and armpit, and slap it on there. It avoids any muscle areas and is more protected from accidental knocks, and in my case gives me the most accurate readings.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have found the best place for my sensors is - hold arm out in front with palm down. Grab hold of the fleshy bit between elbow and armpit, and slap it on there. It avoids any muscle areas and is more protected from accidental knocks, and in my case gives me the most accurate readings.

I was just trying to give that area a rest... wish they did. Stomach ones. Still should be getting the Guardian in January.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you men the area underneath your arm instead of at that back?

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I haven't read the whole thread but I've been using a freestyle for about three months now (best thing I've ever done. My HBA1c has really improved and I now feel like I am in control of my Diabetes for the first time in 18 years )
I had a few of these errors a few weeks ago, and I'm sure I read that it can say this if your body/meter (not sure which one) isn't the right temperature? Please don't quote me on this, but the thought came to my head when I saw this post. I didn't see any consistent problems so didn't need to change my sensor

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Look at the tip of where armpit is, go to the back and that was where my sensor was

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I find that's really best place for accurate readings too. Also as you say it's more protected from knocks.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
First one I've had inaccurate and came off, so can't moan really. Just wish could go other places than arm. After 6 months I am running out of spaces really on this arm and can't wait to give it a rest when I get the Guardian.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a few of these errors a few weeks ago, and I'm sure I read that it can say this if your body/meter (not sure which one) isn't the right temperature
Recently I've been running in low temperatures in short sleeves - and was not unsurprised to see a message on the reader halfway round a cross country that the sensor was too cold for the reader to read it!

For my next few runs I wrapped a thin knitted neck gaiter, doubled up and all snugly popped over my upper arm, to keep the sensor cosy, and it read without a problem all the way. So that's the policy for me from now on!

Will be doing that at parkrun tomorrow, although if it's as frosty as it was this morning I might have to run in thick top to toe knitwear......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As regards temperature, our glucose meters and strips can suffer with cold. On these recent very cold days and nights I have kept mine warm in my knicker drawer. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meters will not work below or above certain temperatures. I definitely confirm that from leaving my meter in car whilst gardening in winter and summer!!

Abbott staff member did tell me for my cgm from them when I had probs to keep arm outside duvet when sleeping.....duvet heat could affect it.