not sure whether I should be offended or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Please beware that this could make your relationship even more strained and sour than it is already, I don't know how long you have to go till the end of your course and if it's worth the hassle. It is your life and your choice. Did you get on with your lecturer before this happened? I've had an arkward boss before who after 2 years didn't know anything at all about diabetes! We never got on, ever, ever, ever. His behaviour makes your lecturer sound pleasant he was so obnoxious. All the best.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
martwolves said:
Please beware that this could make your relationship even more strained and sour than it is already, I don't know how long you have to go till the end of your course and if it's worth the hassle. It is your life and your choice. Did you get on with your lecturer before this happened? I've had an awkward boss before who after 2 years didn't know anything at all about diabetes! We never got on, ever, ever, ever. His behaviour makes your lecturer sound pleasant he was so obnoxious. All the best.

That's sort of what I was getting at ! You may get your apology but at what cost ? Good luck whatever you choose ;-)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Agreed, Mo. It's a tricky one and a difficult call, especially not knowing what the outcome will be. It is a matter of principle, I understand, but it could be a right old proverbial can of worms and you may get your apology, but worse conditions overall. I hope it turns out for the best.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Dizzyrj.

At the end of the day this person is going to twist things in her favor.
You should have complained as soon as she made her offensive comment. (I know that is easy to say now)
I think you should put it down as a bad experience, maybe give her a pleasant little note to remind her that her comment was in your opinion very unprofessional on this health & social care coarse.
Your young and you may make mistakes that you may regret in later years and think whops "deja vu."

Best of luck

Roy, :)

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Gosh that's really shocked me, I've come across many people who have said the similar typical statements 'you can't have this, that' etc but usually after explaining and educating them a little the 'person' is all thankful that they now now. This lecturer sounds very odd. I hope all goes well with whatever you decide to do in the end. You also have the discriminatory & disability act to call upon if you do take it all the way. She is also being very discriminatory in my opinion. Good luck, let us know what happens.

dizzyrj

I am going to sleep on this about writing the letter of complaint.
While I do not want a huge can of worms opened, I just mearly want it just to be raised on that she needs to think on what she says and have an apology.
While I only have this lecturer for 1 more session on Friday then I have finished this module. I really do not want this sort of thing happening to someone else who may get even more upset and distressed about it.

punto53

Hi dizzy RJ
I'm sorry things didn't go well for you today. Some people are so callous and thick skinned they don't see themselves upsetting others around them. Well let us know how you get on !! Good luck
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Throughout life, you will no doubt come across some very nice people, loving people, ignorant people and plain nasty people. This is just life. I'm not saying let people walk all over you but sometimes it's easier just to ignore the bad people and spend time and effort concentrating on the good people. Don't get me wrong, if someone is wrong, I will put them right. If it were something worth pushing, I would push all the way. Just not sure if it's worth all the effort over a cake ! I understand how upset you were at the time but some people just won't change and you could end up feeling worse. This is just my opinion and I understand others may think differently. As I said before, whatever you choose, good luck and hope you can move on !

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dizzyrj said:
I am just after an apology & just make sure that she thinks before she speaks.

I am not in the mood to sue as
1. too much paperwork
2. silly thing to be suing about. Apology just needed

Hopefully the college will take this seriously

Sue For what? Damages? Defamation of character?

What she did, if it was in such a crass way could be seen as discrimination if you want to look at it that way. Deliberately excluding you from the groups activities. I am assuming the treats were an incentive or reward so in effect you were not incentivised or rewarded by her actions. Of course this doesn't mean that she can never bring in sweets or treats because you are in her class, just that she needs to put a bit more thought into it and maybe ask what you can and can't have etc.

She has ddiabetic family and is using her own personal experiences to judge and rule on what you, a non related person, can and can't do. Very odd behavior.

I recently got made redundant and at the end of the contract we had a buffet lunch. My boss knew about me being diabetic and trying out this new low carb diet and so made special provisions for me to have my own salad platter. It really was no inconvenience to her but meant the world to me.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would complain loudly and DONT let her get away with it!! people like this need educating via carrot or stick. You tried carrot, it didnt work.

Just think about this through younger genorations' eyes, as far as I can see we are all trailblazers and although we sometimes get the rough edge, we sofen things for those who follow us.

Good Luck Dizzyrj, but stick to your guns and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. :mrgreen:

dizzyrj

Well Today was a very different experience.
She bought me a bottle of vodka.. I love the stuff (I am 20 so its k) :crazy: and did a full on sinser apology in front of the class.

Looks like I wont be going with the complaint, I think she actually realised what she said really upset me

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Result
Well done Dizzyrj
Roy, :)

Mr Happy

Have the other class mates put in a complaint because they only got sweets? Are you able to sue if you end up a raging alcoholic?

This teacher seems to be a disaster!

Bikerchick1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's the problem when people don't know anything about our condition and they can not be bothered to ask. They presume that because you are diabetic you can not have sweets or treats. Just give her some diabetic chocolate or sugar free mints and sit back and relax lol. No,but she does need to know that you are normal like every other person in the class you just have a condition. She should have thought a bit more before she opened her mouth. X

dizzyrj

OH GAWD, not the diabetic chocolate
My friend bought me some as a joke.

Jokes on him from the end result ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.