Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that Montignac used to claim that eating low carb would enable your body to arrive at the correct weight for you. That might include weight gain. Or loss. Or allow you to change over time.

No idea if later editions of his book stopped saying this.

I'm tempted to think that our bodies do not use BMI, mirrors, aesthetics, amount of baggy skin or dress sizes to choose ideal weight. They probably use age, activity, fertility, climate, food availability/frequency, hormones and nutrition...

@Bluetit1802
Maybe your body is far happier as it is now than if you forced it to gain a few extra pounds.

Maybe it is, I certainly feel healthy and fit. I think my concern is losing even more rather than gaining a few more pounds. I'm not actually complaining, I was just trying to point out that with LCHF done properly, it is far, far easier to lose than gain. Gaining requires a finer balance that isn't easy to find.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! I'm a star! :)(not in a reasonably priced car though 'cos my car is broken) :(

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Cool :cool: news - upon finding this link :)

Would it be worth starting a new thread to ask members who actually cant shed
weight as easily whilst following the LCHF .
Maybe put it in the Diabetes Discussions forum too .
See what it throws up ?

There aren't any nay sayers here - just some other persons may well struggle more than others .

It could help us all understand more - how or why others struggle more or less with this .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I just read the Diet Doctor's book and he says that a healthy LCHF diet will increase the weight of someone who is under weight. It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who has had that experience

I have been LcHf for around 9 months now. BMI 22 when I started, I lost a stone in weight and went down to BMI 21, I did not want to loose weight, but managed to put the weight back on by going higher fat. My diet is now around 5% carb, 15% protein, 80% fat. And I have maintained my weight with BMI of 22 over the last 6 months..... But it is actually quite hard to maintain my weight, I find it very easy to keep carbs down to 5%, more difficult to keep protein below 15% and fat at or above 80%.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have been LcHf for around 9 months now. BMI 22 when I started, I lost a stone in weight and went down to BMI 21, I did not want to loose weight, but managed to put the weight back on by going higher fat. My diet is now around 5% carb, 15% protein, 80% fat. And I have maintained my weight with BMI of 22 over the last 6 months..... But it is actually quite hard to maintain my weight, I find it very easy to keep carbs down to 5%, more difficult to keep protein below 15% and fat at or above 80%.
I'm guessing it's a bit different for type 1 diabetics? Also, 5% carbs sounds very low. Still, a BMI of 21 is not considered under weight.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it is, I certainly feel healthy and fit. I think my concern is losing even more rather than gaining a few more pounds. I'm not actually complaining, I was just trying to point out that with LCHF done properly, it is far, far easier to lose than gain. Gaining requires a finer balance that isn't easy to find.
You don't have problems with appetite? If you aren't hungry I can see it might be a problem to keep your weight on but then you may have some other health issue that needs checking.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. I eat around 30-60g carbs per day (40 yesterday). That was about 6.5% of my total calories. I got 25% from protein and the remainder from fat. At this level of calories (around 2500) I have a reasonably stable weight. If I drop to 2000 my weight drops.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been LCHF for about 16 months but have maintained my weight throughout as I had none to lose (BMI 20.4). I track my macros with MFP and am always surprised that they remain fairly constant - I'm typically 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fat.

As a T1, I find it quite easy, although annoyed if I drop low and have to take on glucose - but if I do it's not significant carbs, just 3-6g to get back in range.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just read the Diet Doctor's book and he says that a healthy LCHF diet will increase the weight of someone who is under weight. It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who has had that experience.

One observation I've made is that most people I know who are not overweight don't seem to worry much about eating in a healthy manner. Come to think of it, most overweight people I know don't seem to worry much about eating in a healthy manner. I really need to buy some stock in processed food companies.

I have to express a difference of opinion with this dietdoctor book:-

1) i have been size 8/10 for 40+ years and only once put on any weight.. When being advised to eat porridge ir toast for breakfast.

2) I have a friend in a eating disorder unit and she is being absolutely stuffed with carb laden foof to put on weight. I mean total carb overload and their plan is working because the carbs are making her crave more carbs. There has been no education on a healthy diet just a total carb overload constantly. Thats a way for sure to put on 3stone in 9 weeks!!!!

3) as for most people NOT being overweight not worrying about healthy food? Absolute tosh... I for one always consider only eating good, proper food. So do my few other lean friends that aren't overweight. Its the larger friends that constantly stuff takeaways every single night and drink etc.

4) i was speaking to a member of WW this week. They have young ladies that don't even know how to cook and had no basic education during their teenage years from either parents or schools on nutrition or cooking.

I at least had home economics when I was at school as did my brothers and hubby. It appears that even these basic skills and learning are not given nowadays.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't have problems with appetite? If you aren't hungry I can see it might be a problem to keep your weight on but then you may have some other health issue that needs checking.

No appetite problems at all. I have a good appetite, and am never hungry with 3 meals a day as evenly spaced as possible. As I said, I am fit and healthy. My bloods are spot on, I have plenty of mental and physical energy, sleep perfectly at night, am not on any medication, which many my age can't say. (other than a low dose aspirin when I remember). I lost my weight at the recommended pace of between 1 and 2 pounds a week. All I am trying to say is that it is not easy to maintain weight on LCHF. I am not alone in this. I am not complaining, just saying it is easier to lose than maintain or gain.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No appetite problems at all. I have a good appetite, and am never hungry with 3 meals a day as evenly spaced as possible. As I said, I am fit and healthy. My bloods are spot on, I have plenty of mental and physical energy, sleep perfectly at night, am not on any medication, which many my age can't say. (other than a low dose aspirin when I remember). I lost my weight at the recommended pace of between 1 and 2 pounds a week. All I am trying to say is that it is not easy to maintain weight on LCHF. I am not alone in this. I am not complaining, just saying it is easier to lose than maintain or gain.

Totally agree. I'm the same. Having been a LCHF pretty much all my life then I actually don't recall having any pangs of hunger ever. My appetite is totally supressed. It is harder to maintain or gain.. Definitely.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree. I'm the same. Having been a LCHF pretty much all my life then I actually don't recall having any pangs of hunger ever. My appetite is totally supressed. It is harder to maintain or gain.. Definitely.

...... and there are others here on the forum who have experienced the same problems.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While I have a healthy appetite and can eat enormous amounts of food when I feel I need it.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I did the X-Pert course last July,and the nurse talked from V7,printed in August 2011.
All realy a bit of a waist of time and money.
I did ring for a up to date book and was told to go on the web site and buy it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just read through the thread and reply to queries. Version 12.1 of the X-PERT Diabetes Educator's Manual became available in September 2014. X-PERT Educators needs to be updated every two years to remain registered. We realise that there is a lag time but we have to be realistic and practical about the frequency that we can expect Educators to attend update training. These Educators are in the main employed by NHS organisations and we do not have control. It is very difficult for Educators who have not attended updating training since September as they are being asked questions and do not always know how to respond. We have written a position statement (attached) and we do have an Educator Newsletter to try and address this but it isn't perfect (Rome wasn't built in a day!). The updated manual does not prescribe the low carb, high fat diet for all as the X-PERT Programme is based on the empowerment approach. Therefore it is about providing people with evidence based and updated information and then if they wish to adopt the low carb/high fat lifestyle, it is another option for them to lose weight and improve glycaemic control if they wish. We hope that over the next 12 months all Educators will present the options and support people with the informed decisions they make. For those who choose this lifestyle, we have adapted the eatwell plate: 5-9 portions of fruit & veg (as previous); 5-14 portions of fat (avoiding processed vegetable oils); 2-4 portions of protein; 2-4 portions of full fat milk & dairy products; 0-2 portions of carbohydrates.

Trudi - Did you consider "re-naming" the Eat Well Plate? I think there is the potential for the redefining exercise to cause confusion, rather than clarification.