Nurse & Low Carb Diet

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on no medication and have reduced my Hb1Ac to 5.5 from 6.8 with a low carb/low GI diet. I test every morning and more if my bg is high . I feel very grateful that I actually get a tub of strips on prescription monthly and it was initially from this that I found out what my body would and would not tolerate. The only time my fasting sugars were up was about a month ago when I was in Singapore - I couldn't get them down from 6.2- it may have been the heat - who knows. It's back down to <5.5 every day now, often 5.1.

An interesting thread!

I was diagnosed in September, after having 3 fasting BG tests of 6.7 to 6.9, which I was told was 'pre diabetic'. As a result, I was sent for a Glucose Tolerance Test, which was 15.1, and confirmed that I am diabetic. My Hba1C level was 5.6!

I insisted on being given a BG meter and some test strips, and have been asked to test once a day at varying times. I've also bought my own meter and strips, so that I can test more often. Apart from the occasional blip, my results are well within the NICE guidelines. I am on 2x500g Metformin a day, and eat more or less as I did before, which was a heart friendly diet, because I have Heart Failure and Ischaemic Heart Disease (both unrelated). I have changed the bread to granary, but I normally eat only a small amount of carbs anyway - say 1 small new potato, or 1 tbsp Basmati rice, and a couple of slices of granary bread a day. The only thing that seems to increase my BG is pasta, which I very seldom eat.

I have lost over a stone in weight in three months, although I find exercise is difficult as my mobility is severely reduced due to my heart problems, and I am mostly wheelchair bound. I trust I am doing ok?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How interesting as I have never been offered a Glucose intolerance test!! So what is more important the Hb1Ac or the Glucose intolerance test? In my books your Hb1Ac woulkd not have warranted medication!!!

I didn't ask for a Glucose Tolerance Test, and didn't even know it existed - but clearly the result showed that I'm diabetic.

My GP suggested control by diet only, but the Diabetic Nurse prescribed Metaformin due to my heart problems. My BG levels do vary - for instance, tonight they were 10.0, 2hours after dinner which was a doner kebab, because I wasn't able to be at home to cook, and sometimes they go up to 11.9, but if I cook at home, which I usually do, they remain below 8.5 most of the time.

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I remember when I first started Exenatide my diabetes nurse gave me a 'diet' sheet, and I use the term loosely, and told me to eat plenty of carbs. The carb section on the sheet advocated between 7 and 14 portions of bread a day!!!! Can you believe that???? Luckily my own GP is very good and when I told her I was extremely low carb she didn't bat an eyelid cos she sees what wonders it's done for me.
I do however agree that it doesn't work for all of us.......or does it?? How many people have poo-pooed the idea but never actually given it a go, even for a few days???? Power to the diabetic I say :lol: :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sue32 said:
I remember when I first started Exenatide my diabetes nurse gave me a 'diet' sheet, and I use the term loosely, and told me to eat plenty of carbs. The carb section on the sheet advocated between 7 and 14 portions of bread a day!!!! Can you believe that??

Crikey! :shock: How many potatoes was she suggesting to eat as well as :roll:

Thankfully I've never been given a diet sheet like that, if I did I would need a insulin drip 24/7!

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I dunno - 14 slices of bread... That 7 Marmite sandwiches.

My kinda diet!!! :lol:

ally5555

This is always a problem - other HCP giving out diet sheets.

I actually have a diet sheet amnesty going on in the surgery - will be ineteresting to find out what some of them are giving out to pts .

Allyx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What the DUK leaflet says is 7-14 portions of starchy foods (so the potatoes weren't extra!)
It also says

A good way to see if you are achieving the right balance is to
think about how many portions of these foods you normally
eat and see how it compares to the table below. Remember,
everyone’s nutritional needs are different and you may need
more or less portions than those suggested.
and
If you are trying to lose weight, the sizes of your portions
may need to change. Check with your dietitian for more
specific advice.
I think that part needs a lot more emphasis, people are bound to focus on lists of what they can and cannot eat rather than the text between.
In their losing weight leaflet they give examples of how a 1500 calorie diet for women and a 1700 calorie a day for women works out with fewer carbs than the other example. (though not low carb by any means)
Breads and cereals 90 calories per serving women 5 servings men 7 servings
90 calories is about
2– 4 tbsp cereal
1 slice of bread
1/2 small chapati
2 tbsp rice, pasta, noodles, mashed potato
2–3 crispbreads or crackers
2 egg-sized new potatoes or 1/2 baked potato
Ideally though people should get to meet a dietitian but I believe they're very few and far between.