Nurse & Low Carb Diet

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Ally
I take it we are talking Union here ? Wales v Australia I think I might hazard a guess as to who you want me to support ! Good job I have Welsh connections. :D. Anyway one of my mates is from Builth so I would be in the doghouse if I supported the Kangaroo mob !
:twisted:

Enjoy the match - whatever happens

Ken xx

jopar

Dillinger

There's no need to dispair on my behalf... I'm doing very well thank you...

For me there isn't any benefit in following a extreme low carb diet and it probably just cause more problems for me...

I know just by looking I wouldn't be able to stick to it for any length of time, I know that I'm not a great carb eater, but I do like my roast tatties with my Sunday dinner...

I only use an average TDD of 17 units of insulin, hence the need of an insulin pump, could I by following a extreme low carb diet dispense with the need of a very expensive insulin pump and save the NHS hoordles of cash?

Err nope, I'm already on a very minimal amount of insulin, to be able to follow an extreme low carb diet I would have to start diluting my insulin as I can not survive without it... Goodness knows what sort of problems that would cause but more likely more cost for the NHS, and dire health issues for myself.

So as you can see, this is why it's important to give individuals as much information about diabetes, control methods what certain medication can achieve or not as the case maybe... So with their health care professionals, they can find not only the right diet, but also what medication they do or don't need to maintain control...

I don't eat candy floss, as I know that their isn't a way that I can match my insulin to cover its impact on my blood glucose... But I do know when I can treat myself to a kitkat without it impacting on my blood glucose.

And with the right help and information this is what the OP should be able to do in the long run, understand how foods impact, when is the best time to have a treat and build a diet or should I say food palette that sustains them healthwise etc and doesn't create a wagon that they constantly finds themselves falling off... Makes life a lot easier in the long run..

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
agree on the serotonin that's very much part of my studies at the moment.
interesting paper, maybe relevant http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16862243 :lol:

In general though, I don't think anyone on this forum suggests eating huge quantities of carbs from any source, merely that it's a good idea for all round health not to exclude a whole food group.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
jaykay said:
definition? I say, if asked, that I low carb as it seems easier to say rather than explain that I don't eat potatoes, pasta or bread and reduce wholewheat rice /quote]
Rice is not wheat so I don't think that you meant to say that.
Seems to me that the OP is doing extremely well to have brought their figures down to under 7.0 in such a short time by cutting the carbs and not increasing the meds. If they had been progressing much slower then increasing meds might have had to be the answer.
Congratulations and well done!
Alison

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
This article although not particularly diabetic friendly does explain the serotonin mood connection quite well.

com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/serotonin-what-it-is-and-why-its-important-weight-loss

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'd like to see the research data that article is based on. Recent studies show that it's the interaction of Leptin And Ghrelin wich controls appetite. Not seratonin. Also a number of sudies have shown that whilt all diets[low cal; low fat low carb] have high attrition [drop-out]rates, low carb has the lowest. that doesn't chime with the serotonon theory.
Hana
I no longer trust this kind of stuff unless I see the raw data. I'm not a statistician but I know they can vary the appearance of results to fit their theories and often do. I also get pointed to irrelevant, if correct, data, which are used to put a point. I am good at logic and recognise a non-sequitur

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Does this article mean that eating a low carbohydrate diet makes you want to eat more and means you can get depressed? :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ally
you say we lower carbers are deficient in fibre. How does that fit in with recent suggestions that we actualy don't need fibre at all. Sorry #i can't remember the refrence! However it does make the point that breasfed babies get zero fibre and rarely have any trouble producing poop, which is any case mostly bacteria.
I eat salad every day [large portions] and Ido like my low sugar probiotic drink. My alimentary canal works well. There's plenty of fibre in leafy vegetables and things like celery and cucumber. And yes it is possible to eat large portions of these. I do
Hana

ally5555

Hana - havent read the study but based on my experience I am not convinced. I am not sure why there is a link with breast fed babies but after 4 months breast milk and formula milk cannot provide enough nutrients so food has to be introduced. The poop from bottle fed babies is very different!
Babies cannot tolerate much fibre anyway - so perhaps it is related to the development of the gut as they grow. Would be interested if you could find a reference. Does the paper make any suggestion about what to eat or has it used a particular food group, in practice I find that alot of fat causes excess poop! ( not me lol!)

Hana low carbing does mean lower fibre and it seems to be mentioned on here alot.

I am certain I have read several papers about low levels of serotonin and depression - but cannot remember where they were? Anyone got any ideas ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hana,
Sid's link explains the linkage between carbohydrate/ insulin/trytophan /serotonin very well.
The developing understanding of the role of serotonin as amongst other things a mood regulator and an appetite supressant is not the result of one study. A search on pubmed of serotonin and appetite or mood will give literally thousands of resultsIt is a field where for example brain imagery has enabled our knowledge to grown rapidly in the last few years. Fitting all the bits of the jigsaw together is definitely a work in progress.
An example of the practical use of this research has been the development of SSRIS such as Prozac. You could start with this brief Wiki article on Richard Wurtman, it has links to his published works and links to his lab webpage where some of the earlier works are availalble.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wurtman

As to leptin and serotonin,you may like to view the simple version of a recent hypothesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0S6gazpXds
and a bit more detailed but fairly easy explanantion
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 163552.htm
The full paperby Vijay K. Yadavis et al available but is extremely technical.
Leptin regulation of bone mass, appetite and energy expenditure relies on its ability to inhibit serotonin synthesis in the brainstem

Back from academia, it's like so much in the body dependent on balance, not too much, not too little. Too little serotonin is implicated in depressive symptoms but people can also use food (fast carbs) to enhance mood. It's one explanantion for behaviours such as binge eating and 'falling off the wagon' something that we read about it some people on low carb diets. There's a very light article by Judith Wurtman comenting and contrasting the differences in eating in Florence and the US. She doesn't use the word, but moderation comes to mind.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j- ... 59398.html

ally5555

I know it is 6 months but you and I know that most babies do not get to 6 mths without solids partly because some are starving! I also know that researchers are beginning to question this blanket figure of 6 months. Alot of food policies in the Uk still say 6 months but it is acceptable at 17 weeks. We are not giving feeding advice on here now are we!

However what I mentioned was the 4 month iron stores!

I see alot of babies at the surgery by the way so I am not giving out of date advice but there are times when babies will not wait until 6 months - one more thing for mums to feel guilty about

Ally

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
ally5555 said:
. I am not sure why there is a link with breast fed babies but after 4 months breast milk and formula milk cannot provide enough nutrients so food has to be introduced.

I am appalled and saddened that this advice might be given to new mothers by a HCP. No wonder the rates of exclusive breastfeeding in the UK are one of the lowest in the western world. It is simply incorrect. Thankfully this is NOT the advice given in Australia, we have much higher percentages of exclusively breastfed babies at all stages up to 6 months and we do NOT have a nation of iron deficient breast fed babies!!
It is suggested by several studies that an early introduction to solids leads to overweight babies then adults.
Alison

ally5555

Cherry picking!
The advice in the UK is the same with a proviso - some babies may need solids at around 6 months.
In the Uk we do have alot of iron deficient toddlers partly because they consume too much milk - of what kind - and do eat properly.
Breast feeding rates are not brilliant in the UK .
I feel sorry for parents because infant feesing guidlines are changed so frequently. If weaning is done with care and using home foods babies do not get fat but there will always be some who cannot wait until 6 months.

Interesting point about the obesity though - doesnt OZ have the highest rate of increase in obesity in the world? Why is that?

Ally

anniep

Our grandaughter was a big baby born, and still is a big child. She was starving by 4 months, and reaching for the food on our plates.
The Health visitor's guidelines were what ally said. 'We say 6 months but that is general advice, some babies particulalry the big one need food earlier'. She said that fact she was trying to eat the the food off our plates was probably a sign she was ready for something more.

jaykay

This is why you can't give a one size answer fits all! My son was 10lb 8oz when he was born and is now a strapping 6'2" prop forward. He's HUGE! :) But he was on breast milk only until he was 8 months old. He would NOT wean, try as we might with every sort of food.

DazG

Getting back to the OP...

I discussed low GI with my DN and she agreed it was a good idea, by doing this and taking 1500mg of SR Metformin daily, my HbA1c went from 6.8 to 5.9 in a matter of weeks.

I dont know enough about high/low carbs just yet to discuss further with everyone, but these results tell me my new way of eating is working, I hope.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If they really knew anything we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. Eating more carbs. is the typical mantra from the ADA here too. They don't recognise the glycemic index (it wasn't invented here in the US) so they tell people to just measure their carbs. Problem is the carbs. they recommend are mostly high glycemic - bagels, fruit with syrup, breakfast cereals, pancakes and waffles, crackers, etc. We're already eating more carbs. thanks to all the low fat hysteria. They just took the fat out and put in more high glycemic carbs. Now we'll all be fat and diabetic!