Off premix, On to basal/bolus, Help!

jopar

lilibet

wavy bg and no food, the reason for this is your liver is delivering glucose into the blood at verying rates durning the day... The lowest ebb for this delivery is same as the ebbing of other hormones in the body, around about 2-3am...

With injecting insulin what you are trying to do is build a flatish profile as possible, so over a fasting period your BG shouldn't increase or decrease by 2mmol/l from it's stating point... If you used an CGM it owuld be easier to see the basal profile does have peeks and troughs to it...

This can effect the bolus injection, as if you inject as you are going up towards the peak, then this could mean that you have too much insulin floating around in your body, but if you inject heading towards a trough means that you may not have enough insulin to cover what you've eaten..

This is why it's important to sort out the basal, and try to work out where peaks and troughs are to, so that when you are correcting or calculating a dose of insulin for food, you have a good idea what suttle adjustments you have to make to compensate for the basal profile..

lilibet

Thanks jopar
Woke up again this morning within 1mmol of BG so basal overnight seems ok
FBG today was IDENTICAL to bg pre dinner today so basal during day seems to be fine

However, only small doses so do think its running out about 10 hours (pre dinner) at times as had pre dinner BG that are 3mmol higher than lunch time and DNS doesnt think its likely to be ratios wrong at lunch time, so have two choices as I see it

Take it later in the morning and compensate on waking with novorapid
Take it early, compensate witih novorapid later in the day.

Decided not to have brekkie today - bg rose by 1mmol within 45 mins so assuming its DP and Im going to have to either take novo at any rate whether i eat or not, and prob add in correction dose to compensate /set ratios higher. Dont seem to get DP at the 5am onwards mark, mines seems to hit when Im up and about

That would certainly explain the shocking spikes on premix - DP plus imprecise dosing

Still, its only been 3 days since I moved and havent seen a bg above 9 at any point so am hopeful........