OK, what I'm I meant to stick my ham between???

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Klang180 said:

Er bread, this is the non low-carb forum after all. As long as you cover it with the appropriate amount of insulin then you are fine.

Some of us Type 2's are not on insulin. And, although we are not exactly low-cabing, we still need to be careful of how many cabs we consume in a day and a meal as, for some of us, 2 slices of bread makes us go over 8 when we do our 2 hour test :(

Klang180

Hey Lucy

Fair enough, i guess one person's low carb is another persons non low carb. For me anything under 100-150 is low carb but i guess that is high carb for others. I eat about 300-400 a day.

I didn't mean to offend and take your point on board, so thanks for pointing it out.

For the OP, sandwiches are just so boring but maube you should ditch the ham, it isn't good for you :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair enough, i guess one person's low carb is another persons non low carb. For me anything under 100-150 is low carb but i guess that is high carb for others. I eat about 300-400 a day.

Hi Klang189. That is a very good point. I eat around 120-150g of carbs a day, which is considered quite a lot of carbs for a diet-only T2. Its interesting to learn different ways of looking at the terminology. I am not considered a lowcarber by any means amongst my particular diabetic type.

and not offended at all. I am always happy to learn.

I have 3 generations of type 2 in my family, and no type 1's so its good for me to learn about it.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Sourdough rye bread? Thin cut. Better than a lot of breads available - but it's still a personal thing. It might not be ok for you, but it works for me. I'm talking small thin slices though.

elainechi

all bread is frozen in my house as my daughter rather liked bread..but too much effort to defrost it!!!!!!!!!
however i wonder if i ever become in her situation would i crave all these carbs....im not keen on bread crackers sponge i.ve never made a cake or biscuits...we just never have them in the house!!!!
i use to hate it when i was little and had to have crackers with cheese...grandad was always allowed to have cheese on its own or with an apple.....now i do so do my kids xxx

LesleyAnne2

WhitbyJet said:
Make yourself a very quick low carb bread.

Mix together 1 egg 2tablespoons of ground almonds 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Make sure you really mix well, or you will have bread with scrambled egg in it. Add a little salt and ground spices but that's optional.
Place in a buttered dish suitable for microwave and in the shape and size of a breadroll or breadslice, you know one of those little plastic food storage type containers. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes and leave to cool them slice in half and make up your sandwich.

Thank you for this recipe, I use it a lot. I also use it if I fancy a bit of cake and substitute dessicated coconut for the linseeds, other than that no changes :)

pms543

LesleyAnne2 said:
WhitbyJet said:
Make yourself a very quick low carb bread.

Mix together 1 egg 2tablespoons of ground almonds 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Make sure you really mix well, or you will have bread with scrambled egg in it. Add a little salt and ground spices but that's optional.
Place in a buttered dish suitable for microwave and in the shape and size of a breadroll or breadslice, you know one of those little plastic food storage type containers. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes and leave to cool them slice in half and make up your sandwich.

Thank you for this recipe, I use it a lot. I also use it if I fancy a bit of cake and substitute dessicated coconut for the linseeds, other than that no changes :)

This sounds so easy and doeable, Thanks

Think my microwave is a 750watt so am assuming the bread recipe is for one around this?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stick yer ham between two crisp little gem leaves:smile:

@myroomsadisco

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I have a diabetic support leaflet here that says you need 300g carbs a day to maintain your body

WhitbyJet

Ok if you havent got a breadmaker, try this bread, doesnt taste eggy or of linseed, its lovely toasted as well.

300g oatbran (from H&B or online)
4 slightly heaped tablespoons ground linseed (prefer to use golden linseed)
1 x 250g tub Quark
150g plain yogurt
1 tsp sea salt
1 heaped tsp ground coriander
1 heaped tbsp baking powder
6 eggs

Mix all ingredients together really well, tip mixture into a greased 10" x 5" loaf tin, smooth out the top, sprinkle with sunflower seeds or sesame seeds, bake at 170 degrees (fan assisted) for 40 - 50 minutes. Test with a skewer or knitting needle, if it comes out clean the bread is done, switch off the oven, but leave the bread in the oven for a further 10 minutes with the oven door closed.
Then remove from the oven, leave on a wire rack to cool.

One 1/2cm slice has roughly 6 carbs.

Google health benefits of oatbran!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
carlrr said:
I have a diabetic support leaflet here that says you need 300g carbs a day to maintain your body

I'm afraid that's a complete myth.

All carbohydrates are turned to glucose in the body, which goes round in the bloodstream to fuel our organs etc. Excess glucose is stored as fat - mainly triglycerides, I think, which are not good for us.

But carbs are not the only source of fuel for the body and brain; about 20% of the protein we eat is slowly metabolised into glucose; in addition, in a very low carb situation, the body goes into a state called ketosis, in which fat is metabolised into ketones which are also used as fuel. NB this is not to be confused with ketoacidosis, when ketones go up, blood glucose levels go up, and you feel very ill. You can read about it on this site.

A Type 2 with insulin resistance has problems getting the glucose into the cells for use as fuel; blood glucose stays high, until eventually the excess glucose is pushed into the fat cells - which very sadly do not get insulin resistance :roll: . In fact, insulin resistant Type 2 diabetes makes you fat!

I work on the principle that, as my body cannot handle carbs properly, it's best not to give it any. Usually I eat below 50g daily, and often below 30g without any ill-effects. My BG stays within the non-diabetic range, my BP and my cholesterol/blood lipids all go down, and I lose weight. Since Christmas I've been eating a bit more carb than usual - between 100g - 150g daily - and sure enough my BGs are up and I've put on weight. If I ate 300g daily my BGs would be through the roof and I would be almost visibly expanding :shock:

One of our members, Hanadr, is a scientist and understands things at a more technical level than I do. She says she has never seen anything in the scientific literature that proves we must eat carbs. No one she has asked has ever been able to point her in the direction of any peer-reviewed papers that say carbs are essential.

We are all different; some people can eat many more grams of carb daily than I can. But I think you'll find that most diet-controlled Type 2s limit their carb intake in some way, whether by carb-counting, portion control or going for low GI carbs instead of quick-acting. The other option is to manage blood glucose by medication, up to and including insulin. Speaking personally, I intend to stay on minimum meds (I take Metformin) for as long as I can.

Each to his own - we are all different! :D

Viv 8)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I tend to agree with Viv regarding carbs.

I think there are 'carbs' and then again there are 'CARBS' which are what I'd call big and obvious 'CARBS' like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cakes, sweets, biscuits. I call those CARBS and try to avoid them and I don't believe anyone actually NEEDS them to stay alive. They're more what I'd call 'bulking agents' that we use to fill ourselves up rather than nourish. Maybe over time and through times of shortages of protein foods or shortage of the money to buy them, we've learned to use these CARBS to fill ourselves up.

The other 'carbs' are the ones I believe are present in vegetables, fruits, protein too. And I think probably they are all the carbs we really need in our diet.

What I've confirmed since being diagnosed with diabetes is that I can certainly leave the CARBS out of my diet without any detrimental effects, but if I try leaving protein or fat out of my diet, it doesn't take long before I'm feeling awful. I don't eat meat every day, but if I didn't eat it for a week I'd begin to notice myself feeling a bit dizzy, weak, tired etc even if I've substituted other proteins such as cheese or eggs. As soon as I have a good steak or stew I'm fine again.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I like my ham between two slices of bread, either Burgen or Tescos Wholegrain Farmhouse bread, which reminds me Ive not had lunch yet and a ham sandwich it will be :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Burgen soya and linseed is a tasty seedy bread with about 12 grams carb per slice.[ available at most supermarkets]
However, the lettuce leaf suggestion is a good one. I wrap home made burgers in lettuce leaves with all the trimmings.
What about just having a ham salad?
Hana