Old fashioned treatment....

Wing Michael

Having been a type 1 diabetic since 1979, I am definitely old school preferring disposable syringes and vials to insulin filled pens.

I find that the pens are a complete faff, and in comparison to the syringes, they hurt. In addition, if we are out, syringe and vials in pocket is easy. My jeans pockets are not deep enough for the ridiculously long pens!

Anyway, to the question..... The pharmacy is struggling to get my Lantus insulin (long acting) and disposable syringes. Are the rights of those of us who prefer to use this method of treatment being compromised? Are manufacturers moving away from syringes and vials?

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and ROE100

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are manufacturers moving away from syringes and vials?

I suspect so, but am surprised you are having trouble with syringes ( I use them as an emergency back up if I either mislay or break my pens.) As for the lantus, could you use the 3ml pen cartridges to fill your syringes? That is what I do when I don't have a pen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having been a type 1 diabetic since 1979, I am definitely old school preferring disposable syringes and vials to insulin filled pens.

I find that the pens are a complete faff, and in comparison to the syringes, they hurt. In addition, if we are out, syringe and vials in pocket is easy. My jeans pockets are not deep enough for the ridiculously long pens!

Anyway, to the question..... The pharmacy is struggling to get my Lantus insulin (long acting) and disposable syringes. Are the rights of those of us who prefer to use this method of treatment being compromised? Are manufacturers moving away from syringes and vials?
Hi,

I’m old school of 1976. I switched to MDI using reusable pens in the late 1980s.

I work in engineering production. (Nothing to do with pharma. But we do supply some big industry.) What I know is recently production is constantly getting held up due to the availability of parts.? (There is a short supply of other stuff to, which would be irrelevant. Like chipsets for the product we make.)

I kinda suspect certain materials rubbers/latex? Alloys. Are the issue. Certainly regarding the rubber membrane on the vials?

So I feel there maybe a compromise on the type receptacles the insulin comes in?
Syringes; that’s another matter. With the recent events & high demand (along with the latex for gloves.) may have drawn attention away from the usual applications for them.

I personally feel it an interim move by the insulin firms to keep supply going as best they can?

ROE100

I'm with you on vials & syringes. I did change from Lantus to Tresiba so had to go onto a pen but at least I know from my experience I will not go that way for my short acting as it will not work for me.

Hopefully it is just a manufacture issue than moving away from vials.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those of us on pumps (except those with pre-filled reservoirs- though not convinced many have those) need vials so I cant see them moving away from vials

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with you on vials & syringes. I did change from Lantus to Tresiba so had to go onto a pen but at least I know from my experience I will not go that way for my short acting as it will not work for me.

The more I read about flooding & leaf blight? Coupled with high demand for rubber.
Especially after “fact” checking where the bungs & rubber membrane origins from.
The more I’m convinced that’s the issue. Regarding availability.
(I could leave some links. But many are clouded with the “concern” over latex in insulin.?? Which would detract from this topic.)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @Rokaab says, we fill pumps with vials so this are unlikely to go. However, pumps only use fast acting insulin so slow acting like Lantus could become difficult to source. As this is only taken once (or twice) a day at the same time, @Wing Michael could you take it at home using an insulin pen?

Regarding syringes, again, many of us with a pump have syringes as back up (insulin pens as back up when out would mean wasting insulin cartridges). I don't often request new ones but, when I do, I have never had a problem getting them.

iwhoadmin

How did your change from Lantus to Tresiba go ? I am switching starting Monday, did you experience and issues ?