1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Olympics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IanD, Jul 23, 2012.

1. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The games and the coverage has been first-class so far :thumbup:

2. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The sports have been excellent - the organization and coverage of the road cycling kinda sucked. No time-checks for the viewers or the cyclists is pretty poor.

3. Paul1976

Paul1976 · Well-Known Member

Indeed it has! The multiscreen option for picking events has been really good too and I'm getting into events that I never used to watch before such as beach volleyball! I was on the edge of my seat when GBR womens were playing Canada,a great result by GB in the end! :D

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes thank goodness for the red button :D

5. borofergie

Pervert!

6. Paul1976

My cover is blown!!!! In honesty,I enjoyed it more than the missus did! :oops: :D

7. borofergie

Ha ha! Guess what Olympic Sport I'm going to see next Saturday morning? :thumbup: :wave:

8. Carbdodger

Carbdodger · Well-Known Member

Poolside has to give the best view of fit men for us ladies. Off to see mens diving for me.

BF - guess you're off to see fencing?

Cd

9. neil0907

neil0907 · Newbie

I thought we was in a recession so where did all the money come from to build the stadium. Instead it could have been used on some thing like the NHS.

10. etmsreec

etmsreec Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I used to be one of the complaining hoardes with regard to sport. I didn't like football, didn't like Wimbledon, hated the Olympics.
    Since taking up swimming and being more active, I'm now quite happy watching swimming and diving on tv too. I sometimes watch football and judo, and quite often watch boxing too.
    I still can't stand Wimbledon, but that's just personal preference.

Good Luck Team GB in the rest of the swimming, diving, boxing, and all of the other sports. We could do with something positive!

11. etmsreec

etmsreec Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lottery funding. One of the swimming teams quoted this morning was running on a budget of about £100,000 prior to lottery funding. Now they get over £2million.

12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I am eagarly awaiting the track and field events and looking forward to the womens gymnastics ( can't wait :lol: ). No Olga Korbuts, Nadia Comenach or Nelly Kims, but cheering for Beth Tweddle :thumbup: :clap: Show jumping is on now, but it's not for me though :| RRB

13. rizzo

rizzo Type 2 · Member

I live on an Olympic Route Network and it makes doing simple journeys more complicated and time consuming. In a way, I can't wait for it to be over even though I love watching sport, and usually love the Olympics. That said, I wish Team GB a lot of success.

Just for fun, try this:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139

I matched with Jillian Tyler, a Canadian Swimmer which is fine. I was expecting to be matched with one of the Russian weightlifters or wrestlers :)

14. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dont forget that every Londoner who pays Council Tax is coughing up over £2000 towards the costs :(

15. JohnJ

JohnJ · Well-Known Member

Total waste of money!
    It is 'playing' games…
    You play games and spend money on recreation when…
    You have fed the children…
    OAPs have enough money to switch on another bar on the fire…
    You don't have to sell your house to raise the money for that operation or course of drugs, or buy testing strips!
    I could go on…

16. borofergie

Worth every single penny! I hope we get the World Cup next.

On one hand everyone is bitching about childhood obesity, and a lack of positive role models for kids, and on the next they're complaining about the cost of the olympics.

I don't see cost. I see endeavour. And courage. I see people reaping the rewards of tens-of-thousands of hours of hard work. Most of all I see inspiration. Every night, as I watch the Olympics, I am inspired to lace up, and to go out and run further, run faster, and run harder.

Bit like this lad:
    [youtube]LsXRj89cWa0[/youtube]

17. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Will you be at Horse Guards parade?
    I'll wave to you from Hyde Park where I'll be at the triathlon followed by Badminton in the afternoon and a meal in the evening.

I should think that the amount we spend on that day, plus fares to the UK and spending in the UK will help towards the subsidies. Sometimes I'm thinking I'm daft and that's a huge amount of money when I could have spent the week at home watching it on the tele (especially true when it rained today) . When I booked, I thought it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

18. Paul1976

I totally agree!! I'm loving the olympics 100% and who knows if it will come here in our lifetime again so to anyone who has tickets...ENJOY!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

19. borofergie

Wow Phoenix, what a great day out! Which bit of the Triathlon are you going to watch (or do you get to see all three bits?).

I'll be at the Beach Volleyball on Saturday, the Athletics on Monday night and BMX on Thursday. I'm really very, very, excited.

Not sure about the tourism though. This week London is deserted, and all of the shop keepers are complaining that their takings are down, compared to a regular July week.

20. Paul1976

Shame about Dampney-Mullin earlier with the GB-ITA Beach volleyball! I was gutted for 'em!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook