Out of Curiosity thread, an update ?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Three threads have been started and well over 200 posts in all, so I would take that as the large majority are not to pleased with many of the changes that have taken place.
I'm not sure that statistic really holds up to scrutiny, considering that over 30 of the posts in this thread alone have been by you yourself - and I probably account for a handful too. With another nearly 30 of yours in the other 2 threads, is approaching 30% of your 200 stated posts by you alone. There may have been over 200 posts, but probably only from around a dozen or so people - less than 1% of the people currently viewing the forums as I type. That would suggest that, statistically at least, the 'large majority' are ambivalent, don't care enough to comment or haven't actually noticed.

I'm not diminishing the concerns of those that have visual difficulties in any way (I don't much like the red top banner aesthetically, but it doesn't cause me distress or difficulty), which for a forum of this nature is perhaps more relevant than with many, but those numbers simply don't support your assertion that 'the large majority are not too pleased' with the forum updates.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm not sure that statistic really holds up to scrutiny, considering that over 30 of the posts in this thread alone have been by you yourself - and I probably account for a handful too. With another nearly 30 of yours in the other 2 threads, is approaching 30% of your 200 stated posts by you alone. There may have been over 200 posts, but probably only from around a dozen or so people - less than 1% of the people currently viewing the forums as I type. That would suggest that, statistically at least, the 'large majority' are ambivalent, don't care enough to comment or haven't actually noticed.

I'm not diminishing the concerns of those that have visual difficulties in any way (I don't much like the red top banner aesthetically, but it doesn't cause me distress or difficulty), which for a forum of this nature is perhaps more relevant than with many, but those numbers simply don't support your assertion that 'the large majority are not too pleased' with the forum updates.

Okay and thank you for your post. It was over 3 threads, one locked, started by June C and another one regarding other changes to the forum and this one. I didn't think of counting my posts :oops:

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Ok folks sorry for the late replies here - busy bee as usual. If I've missed any questions you feel should have been addressed please let me know :)

Thanks @Giverny for getting the "Watched threads" button reinstated...
No problem, glad it's all working again!

I understand things must progress or at least stay current. I'm sure none of the forum's members would want the forum software to not be updated.

I would suggest it's more to do with how the updates have been implemented.

I understand there are a whole host (no pun intended) of issues with running a website and forum as popular as this one, however, do you not have a test area for new features, software updates, security patches, fixes, etc?

If I released new code straight to a production environment and had the issues of this latest forum update; I'd be in deep do do!
We do thoroughly test all forum updates in our own test environment.

Thanks so much for reinstating New Posts - I was beginning to think it was gone forever, so it was a great surprise to find it again. Just to show that we're all different yet again, I hate the way Recent Posts works so it's a relief to have my preferred option available again :happy:
No problem, glad that's solved your issue!

@givenchy, do you have a set of users that you provide access to a test enviroment to do some UAT? That might help with feedback on updates.

Secondly, when an update is planned, would it be possible to provide 24 hours notification that change is coming?
We don't currently. In the nicest way possible, due to the nature of the site's audience, I feel that it would be difficult to gain valuable/detailed enough feedback for us to effectively troubleshoot any issues. If there are any tech-heads about that do know their stuff and are interested in helping me develop a group of testers, I'd be more than happy to set up a UAT style system.

I agree with 24-hour notice. In future we'll put out a notice on the forum homepage regarding any planned updates.

I'm not bothered as to what my 'title' is.
Like RRB, I do find the whole look seems to be very bright and brash but I suspect that's my age.

More importantly, how does this forum look for someone who is red/green colour blind? I noticed the green flag at the top is against the red background . Can someone with this problem distinguish it? (don't know, it's a genuine question which could affect 8% of potential male members)
Protanopia: http://puu.sh/iaVZJ/8091275633.png
Deuteranopia: http://puu.sh/iaW1x/589b53220d.png

I have a condition among my many impairments, Scotopic sensitivity syndrome. This causes perceptual difficulties and some colours cause visual distress. For me bright red on screen triggers severe visual discomfort. I have turned the brightness down on screen but that makes it difficult to read the text. Sunglasses and adaptive filters I have for my spectacles don't help here. (Got someone else to type this for me). Last night looking at the DCUK pages I had a severe sudden reaction that caused pain and distortion of vision for several hours. The bright red colour will restrict my use of forum pages.

More info if anyone is remotely interested in easing my discomfort and reducing the brightness of the red www.irlen.org.uk

Tagging @Giverny
Hey Pipp - I'm so sorry that the redesign has caused you this issue. Scotopic sensitivity syndrome isn't something I'm familiar with, so thank you for the insight. I'm working on a design that's easier on the eyes for those who are either experiencing discomfort due to the bright header, or those who simply don't like it.

This will take a little while to fix as it does involve a fair few elements that'll need changing - but rest assured that it's something we do take seriously, and we'll be adding a colour toggle side-wide. Is it just the header that you find troublesome or are there other aspects of the forum that cause you any discomfort?

@Giverny , I hate to be a pest but I have noticed when using the tagging system because of the size and colour of the advert strip on the bottom of the page the Tags can disappear into the advert especially if there are a lot of same names, not sure what if anything can be done to make it easier for those of us that have visual problems but I'm sure we all would appreciate your looking into it.
Looks like a transparency issue, should have that fixed shortly. Cheers for raising this!

EDIT: The transparency issue should be fixed now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people
S

Sable_Jan

Hmmm...is it really that much of a big deal? Laurence Llewellyn Bowen did not just sneak into your house whilst you were out and 'boudoir' up your living room in garish red! It's just a forum. Surely the colour and layout isn't particularly important so long as the information and support remains strong and valuable...
Have to disagree... A forum should be user friendly in all respects, ease of use, ease on the eyes and also be intuitive....the very basics of software design....if it isn't easy to see and use people won't use it no matter what degree of excellence the content carries......

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

One thing that stands out for me about those who have a diabetes diagnosis and are frequent visitors to this forum is that they are some of the greatest examples of adaptation I have ever come across. The colour/contrast is not exponentially changed from before in my humble newbie opinion. Over 100+ comments by a tiny clutch of people out of thousands and thousands of members. You're absolutely right, changes must be made immediately!! Or you could just change the contrast of your screen. Or whack some shades on. My point remains the same, in the grand scheme of diabetes, not so pressing and important of an issue...
It is a VERY important issue when the display causes headaches and nausea. I find the remarks about "putting shades on" very flippant indeed .... and screen contrast shouldn't have to be changed for one forum....

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

First off I Do Not define myself on my diabetes alone and Will Not be placed in some internet higher archy because you say I should. Beyond the fact that I have diabetes, you know very little about me. I would rather implement a sarcastic tone, than a bullying one. Well done you.
Further, the length of time I have been on this forum is not directly related to the amount of knowledge I have on the subject of diabetes, or if I should dare to have an opinion on something. You cannot possibly know how quickly I assimilate information and knowledge. Its a diabetes forum, not a 'login and kiss butt to your diabetic superiors' forum.
Nor do you know about the problems caused to some people by the visual changes....

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

We have somewhere to help each other at no cost to ourselves. None of this other stuff is really anything other than a minor irritation at worst.

We can use it or not.

We can also give people time to make changes. i am sure they have a real world/work outside of here.
But the point is it ISN'T a MINOR irritation......it HURTS my eyes and causes nausea in others and in some makes the whole page difficult if not impossible to use......I'm having to use the App .....

S

Sable_Jan

I value people of any length of having diabetes and any length of time on the firum. Just because I'm a supposed LeGend I still learn from others everyday. Whether new or old member. My colours on iphone app look just the same to me. Perhaps I've now become colour blind?
Doesn't seem.to be any difference with he App, hence my using the App instead of website

Reactions: 5 people

kellsbells

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, consider me well told off and repentant.

After legend, maybe Demi-God...

Might go and watch some Bill Hicks and redress the balance of my life.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just looked at something different on signing in from app.. It lists so many people with high postings!! Didn't even know mine was 8000+.. Must get a life!!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's worth anything ... I HATE being a Veteran! .. I was a legend before the changes ..that was nice ... So do I have to keep opening new profiles then I can at lest be a newbie, that sound much better than veteran ..... Or do I stay being an old fart ..as that's what the word veteran means to me ! :banghead::bag::(

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Giverny

Glitch Alert. ;)
I just noticed something - on a thread with say, 10 pages, the first 9 pages have a small box, bottom right, saying how many more msgs there are.

Since the upgrade, this box seems to be black text on black background. Presumably just a matter of changing the text to white?

:)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it's worth anything ... I HATE being a Veteran! .. I was a legend before the changes ..that was nice ... So do I have to keep opening new profiles then I can at lest be a newbie, that sound much better than veteran ..... Or do I stay being an old fart ..as that's what the word veteran means to me ! :banghead::bag::(

No, think of it as meaning wise . . . OK, maybe a wise old fart! :D

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I prefer the military understanding of" Veteran " . Think of it as us being battle scarred, bloody but unbowed, heroes and heroesses of the war with diabetes and still damned well determined to win ;)

That's us :D

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Giverny

Glitch Alert. ;)
I just noticed something - on a thread with say, 10 pages, the first 9 pages have a small box, bottom right, saying how many more msgs there are.

Since the upgrade, this box seems to be black text on black background. Presumably just a matter of changing the test to white?

:)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer the military understanding of" Veteran " . Think of it as us being battle scarred, bloody but unbowed, heroes and heroesses of the war with diabetes and still damned well determined to win ;)

That's us :D

Signy
I rest my case ..... It's not sounding nice is it M < that's the M in question that I now know how to edit :confused:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And how do I edit my post now ...need to remove a stray M ?
Found it .....hiding in the tool shed !