Over the moon!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today it's been exactly two weeks since I started on the pump, and I have to admit that already I would never want to be without it!

I saw my DSN last Monday for a regular check to change the basal and bolus doses. We changed a few things in my basal and I am pleased to announce my BG readings of yesterday and today:

Yesterday: 4.4 / 6.7 / 4.4 / 6.4 / 4.1 / 3.8 / 7.5 / 5.4
During the night: 5.0
Today: 5.4 / 5.4 / 3.7

I have yet to find out whether the hypos are down to the basal or bolus, and I did eat 10grams of carbs after the 5.0 I measured last night so I'm thinking my basal during the night will need a bit of tweaking.

I'm planning on doing a fasting test in the weekend to sort out my night-time basal to make sure I don't dip down too low in the morning.

I usually suffer from DP between about an hour before I wake until I have my breakfast at work (which is 3 hours later). I'm pleased to announce that today (and yesterday) for the first time my levels remained fairly stable (4.4 to 6.7 and 5.4 to 5.4) between those times! I think it might have been effectively dealt with! :D

Never in my diabetic life have I managed consecutive levels that were this low or this stable on MDI! Part of me is thinking this is too good to be true and it will only be a temporary thing, but it works really motivating as well! Now I just want to make sure that every day from now on will look like this :D I am so happy that I'm finally getting somewhere! I'm so looking forward to what my next HBa1C will be like!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Attachments

• woohoo.gif
    woohoo.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 766

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well done fantastic results we love ours too altho dylan doesnt have numbers quite as good as urs still but hes always been awkward we do feel he is alot more stable on the pump tho and that is a big relief.

well done again long may it continue

anna marie

iHs

Hi Levy

Like many people I too was really happy to use a pump and thought this is great my bg levels are a lot more even but then ................lol

My bg levels started to change for whatever reason (who knows...... lol) and I found myself needing to change some of my basal rates usually within a certain time block and also sometimes a change to the insulin to carb ratio. All would be well for a while and then bg levels would start to alter again and I would find that I would then have to change the rates again. I'm a tiny bit like BarkBark.

Enjoy your pump but remember that the bg levels you are getting now won't always be the same and will change over the next 4-6 weeks.

One thing for sure is that using a pump does make you test your bg levels a lot more often than using MDI and that you will be the one that will need to make the changes in your pump settings according to what your bg levels are.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree that they are much better, but like iHs says, your levels will not necessarily stay like that and you will need to be fully proficient yourself at tweaking them. Me personally, I don't like running at anything under 5, as it is too close to hypoland. Are you confident at altering your basals and bolus doses yourself now. Summer and winter weathers can alter the basals we need, especially the heat we are expecting in the next few days could send your levels further down...

It is great news that your levels are more stable, well done. Just be aware that levels of 4ish are quite near to hypo's expecially as our meters can have a 10% variance in them. Just a bit concerned that you may be sailing too close to the wind.....

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all thanks for your concern I understand. I don't mind being in the fours at all, I have excellent hypo awareness and I start feeling the symptoms as soon as I dip under 4 and treat accordingly. I guess it's different for everyone :)

I am aware that it won't stay like this forever and that it will need tweaking now and again and I am completely happy and comfortable doing that. I'm sorry if I seemed too giddy, I'm actually quite down to earth about it. I've been a diabetic for over 8 years and have been putting a lot of effort in recently before I started the pump (testing 5-10 times a day, accurate carb counting, pretty much what I've continued to do now) and I'm just very happy about the fact that now I'm on the pump I can actually see a positive result back from all this effort. It never seemed to make any difference when I was on MDIs. Don't worry, I will stay on top of it I am by no means considering resting on my laurels :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Levy said:
Hi all thanks for your concern I understand. I don't mind being in the fours at all, I have excellent hypo awareness and I start feeling the symptoms as soon as I dip under 4 and treat accordingly. I guess it's different for everyone :)

Not being funny but 'excellent' hypo awareness is not knowing that you are actually having one, levels under 4 mmol/l ......but that you are aware that your Bg level is dropping too low BEFORE you drop into the hypo zone which is set at (less than 4 mmol/l). If you only know when you have dropped into that zone....that isn't excellent hypo awareness........you should be having some signs and symptoms before then, probably around 4-5 mmol/l. That is what is known as hypo awareness.

I have to agree with DD.....be careful....... :|

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Big improvement Levy, just watch out for those lower readings and try and treat before they get to that level.

Nigel

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news on those results :D

Similar to you, I'm on my 3rd week of being on pump and my blood levels have evened out and no signs of hypos!

Long may it continue!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yay Richard that's great news! Hope we can keep it this way!

I just generally feel so much better! Before I was either always too high or I had several hypos a day if I tried to keep tighter control (in the ones and twos generally) and now things are so much more stable! I can count the hypos I've had since I started on one hand and they've never been lower than 3.7 so I can definitely see progress here! Not been much too high anymore either unless there was a problem with the pump. I finally feel like all the effort I put in is paying off and getting me somewhere :D