Painful Cannula's :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

So for the past two weeks all of my cannula's have been so painful for no absolute reason :( Last night was my worst one yet....As soon as I put it in I was in so much pain that it bought me to tears...there was no blood no nothing...I took it out obviously but even after taking it out it still hurt for about 20 minutes. I put another in another spot after which wasn't as bad but it now hurts today! I don't know why as I have been fine on 6mm for ages :(

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this a few months back. Turned out I had a faulty batch of cannulas. Ring your supplier and ask for another box to try.

I also use bio oil to heal sites :)

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sounds like it could be dodgy cannulas............but could be your just hitting nerves............

what sites are you using at the moment.........?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you drinking enough? I have heard that dehydration can be a casue of painful cannulas and/or injections :(

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use my upper thighs as well as my belly.............

basically anywhere you used to inject can be used........

the stomach has better absorption than anywhere else, allegedly.........;)

I don't notice a difference though.....

D

Deleted member 83869

I use my upper thighs as well as my belly.............

basically anywhere you used to inject can be used........

the stomach has better absorption than anywhere else, allegedly.........;)

I don't notice a difference though.....

my thigh's and bum used to be my fave place to inject lol! Just don't know how I would do it on my thighs as I wear my pump in my bra lol!!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my thigh's and bum used to be my fave place to inject lol! Just don't know how I would do it on my thighs as I wear my pump in my bra lol!!

it would just need to come up from your trousers/skirt etc, there may be an issue with the length of the tubing, but longer ones can be obtained.....

have you considered clipping it to the belt.....?

D

Deleted member 83869

it would just need to come up from your trousers/skirt etc, there may be an issue with the length of the tubing, but longer ones can be obtained.....

have you considered clipping it to the belt.....?
haven't got a clip thingy for it to go on my waistline lol :/

D

Deleted member 83869

Have a go with the Flexlinks. Are you going to get the Insight or stay with the Combo?
I've only been on the combo for a year now so probably stay with this one...what's the flex links?

iHs

Have a look at the Accu chek website for info on the Flexlink. It fires into the skin using a spring inserter and is no more psinful than inserting a Rapd D. Its a nice set

D

Deleted member 83869

Isnt
Have a look at the Accu chek website for info on the Flexlink. It fires into the skin using a spring inserter and is no more psinful than inserting a Rapd D. Its a nice set
isnt that the plastic cannula though?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I moved from Rapid D's to Flexlinks and have had no issues.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Get some longer tubes and wear in your bum. I can sometimes feel a rapid d going in or just to prick against my skin, but I know to not put it there again, and try somewhere else.

With flex links you are advised to have a machine that inserts them for you. You also need to order sets with tubes, and just sets as well, and you need to inserted in case one breaks or goes wrong. You also need to prime the set when it's in you.

Best speak to DSN as they have to give you training...

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi there, I was interested to read your post as I have had quite a few painful sets recently and have got a bit worried that I may be doing something to cause the problem, I just don't know what!
There are a couple of areas on my belly that I know from experience tend to bleed and be painful if I insert there so I avoid these.
However I am now having painful sets quite often in different places and two days ago I had one which was terribly sore and then I noticed that for about 15 cms from insertion the contents of the tubing was discoloured with blood, this was slight, not extreme I was having no absorption or delivery issues, just the pain but I had no idea how the blood could get "up" the tubing.
I put on a new set of course but again it is quite painful (totally) different area. No blood this time.
I wondered if anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi there, I was interested to read your post as I have had quite a few painful sets recently and have got a bit worried that I may be doing something to cause the problem, I just don't know what!
There are a couple of areas on my belly that I know from experience tend to bleed and be painful if I insert there so I avoid these.
However I am now having painful sets quite often in different places and two days ago I had one which was terribly sore and then I noticed that for about 15 cms from insertion the contents of the tubing was discoloured with blood, this was slight, not extreme I was having no absorption or delivery issues, just the pain but I had no idea how the blood could get "up" the tubing.
I put on a new set of course but again it is quite painful (totally) different area. No blood this time.
I wondered if anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yes, @RHNtype1 , although I didn't leave it in long enough to get the blood in the tubing: I inserted a nylon (aka Flexible) cannula 30 degrees angle into the stomach and had caught a capillary or something... blood came shooting up the cannula and out the back! Pulled it out sharpish and tried another site.