Partial diagnosis

Paulm80

Ok so have got my hbac1 results which was 6.0 far to high for someone my age (38) cholesterol was good tho bad fats very bad (knew that) . Gp is positive that with lifestyle changes I can control it and is not giving me any medication for 3 months! Does this sound all pretty standard?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My own Hba1c is 42, which is, I think 6.0 - the top end of normal. ( oh thank you bulkbiker)
I got here from rather higher numbers simply by cutting out the problem - high density starches and sugars.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She said diabetic range was 4.3 to 4.8 mine was 6? Does that sound right?
No - it sounds totally wrong.
Now, prediabetic is 42 to 47 (used to be 48) - maybe she has the units all wrong.
48 and higher is diagnostic of diabetes

Paulm80

No - it sounds totally wrong.
Now, prediabetic is 42 to 47 (used to be 48) - maybe she has the units all wrong.
48 and higher is diagnostic of diabetes

She may have well of said 42 to 47 anyway she said mine was 60 and that was far to high

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She may have well of said 42 to 47 anyway she said mine was 60 and that was far to high
Did you get the printout like we said? Im guessing not.. 6 or 60 without the units are two very different things..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was 60 not 6 obviously
Not really obviously at all..
Any chance you could call back and get the

1. Numbers
2. The units

from the receptionist?
Sometimes they will give them out sometimes not.. but it would be very helpful for you and for us to know what the figures actually were.

D

Deleted Account

@Paulm80 regardless of the numbers, a good place to start on the forum is here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

But don't stop there, take a look around www.diabetes.co.uk. This website is more than the forum is a great library of diabetes related articles.

In my mind, the numbers are useful to track your diabetes journey but now you know you have diabetes, it is time to make the necessary lifestyle changes such as diet and, maybe exercise,

Reactions: Paulm80

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so have got my hbac1 results which was 6.0 far to high for someone my age (38) cholesterol was good tho bad fats very bad (knew that) . Gp is positive that with lifestyle changes I can control it and is not giving me any medication for 3 months! Does this sound all pretty standard?
So... Did he also mention exactly how you're supposed to change your lifestyle? Did he mention low carb? I have to say, no, this is not the standard. It *should* be though. Most docs would put you straight on metformin, while even metformin's leaflet says you have to try a lifestyle change for 3 months before being put on it. So I'm hoping your doc's more up-to-date than most, what with giving you 3 months to sort it out the "proper" way. Well, in any case, you might want to read The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung, this forum's website, Dietdoctor.com and maybe this, my little quick-start-guide: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ You should be able to get a grip on this in about a month or so, if your HbA1c is indeed 60. You'll be fine. Believe it or not. ;)
Hugs,
Jo

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

It is important to get the right numbers/units, so please contact your doctor again and clear this out.

The reason is that there are two alternative ways of measuring hba1c and unless we know if your score was 6% or 60 mmol/mol we can not interpret it correctly.

A score of 6% is equivalent to a score of 42 mmol and is an elevated score for a non diabetic at the lower margins of pre diabetes. Pre diabetes means that you do not have diabetes yet but that if you do not change your lifestyle/diet you are at risk of developing diabetes.

A score of 60 mmol/mol is equivalent to 7,6%, which is well into the diabetic range suggesting that you may already have diabetes (although two A1C scores above the diabetic threshold of 6.5% or 48 mmol/mol are required to formally diagnose diabetes).

Did your doctor actually say if you have diabetes or not.

Irrespective of which of the above applies you need to manage/reduce your glucose levels by increasing physical activity and reducing the amount of carb rich food (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, sugar) in your diet. Best way to know how much to reduce is through trial and error by obtaining a glucose meter, testing before and two hours after each meal and reducing carb rich food consumption until the after count is no more than 2 mmol from the before count.

Best regards

Pavlos

Last edited:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Paulm80 I am really just echoing the others, it's best if they give you a proper number and to chase them up about it, you deserve a proper diagnosis than being left in limbo like that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Many GPs, like mine did, wait 3 months before any prescribing. You should have been given some good diet advice e.g. making sure you diet is low-carb. Don't worry at the moment about your cholesterol figures as they have nothing to do with diabetes and may improve anyway once you reduce the carbs. Together with low-carbs have enough fats and protein. Have you considered going online with your surgery systems including your test results? Local CCGs now encourage this. I now look at my test results and order scripts online.

Paulm80

Hi

It is important to get the right numbers/units, so please contact your doctor again and clear this out.

The reason is that there are two alternative ways of measuring hba1c and unless we know if your score was 6% or 60 mmol/mol we can not interpret it correctly.

A score of 6% is equivalent to a score of 42 mmol and is an elevated score for a non diabetic at the lower margins of pre diabetes. Pre diabetes means that you do not have diabetes yet but that if you do not change your lifestyle/diet you are at risk of developing diabetes.

A score of 60 mmol/mol is equivalent to 7,6%, which is well into the diabetic range suggesting that you may already have diabetes (although two A1C scores above the diabetic threshold of 6.5% or 48 mmol/mol are required to formally diagnose diabetes).

Did your doctor actually say if you have diabetes or not.

Irrespective of which of the above applies you need to manage/reduce your glucose levels by increasing physical activity and reducing the amount of carb rich food (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, sugar) in your diet. Best way to know how much to reduce is through trial and error by obtaining a glucose meter, testing before and two hours after each meal and reducing carb rich food consumption until the after count is no more than 2 mmol from the before count.

Best regards

Pavlos

Hi there there, yep we are def at 60 so well into diabetic range, this is just off one test tho so I’m hoping it may come down when I have the second next week, I was very unwell with a stomach infection 1st time round and inactive - I’m normally pretty active , so we shall see! Not kidding myself though although active my lifestyle was pretty back constant junk food etc ! Hopefully this will be my wake up call!