Patient access

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got round to registering for patient access to my records etc all went fine that end and I could see my list of meds for repeat and able to make appointments but not able to see test results or any records but it did say I needed to sign a consent form at my surgery to have records online. I went into the surgery today and told the receptionist and she said she did not know we had to sign a consent form. She looked but couldn't really find anything about how to do it so that I could see my test results etc then one of the nurses tried but no luck she said the problem seemed to be at the surgery end but she would have to ask one of the doctors how to fix it so when it will work properly I don't know. Seems not many patients at my practice could have signed up for patient access so far or they would have been aware of the problem.Without signing up for patient access I still could have made appointments and requested repeat meds on the surgery web site so not much better off now and if we want a print out of test results they charge 20p
Has anyone else had a problem getting patient access

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got round to registering for patient access to my records etc all went fine that end and I could see my list of meds for repeat and able to make appointments but not able to see test results or any records but it did say I needed to sign a consent form at my surgery to have records online. I went into the surgery today and told the receptionist and she said she did not know we had to sign a consent form. She looked but couldn't really find anything about how to do it so that I could see my test results etc then one of the nurses tried but no luck she said the problem seemed to be at the surgery end but she would have to ask one of the doctors how to fix it so when it will work properly I don't know. Seems not many patients at my practice could have signed up for patient access so far or they would have been aware of the problem.Without signing up for patient access I still could have made appointments and requested repeat meds on the surgery web site so not much better off now and if we want a print out of test results they charge 20p
Has anyone else had a problem getting patient access
Requested mine a while back. My surgery seems very reluctant. Nothing happened yet, but I have had access to appointments and prescriptions for some time. I think @Bluetit1802 has access. See might be able to quote the Government's requirement for practises to comply.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At my surgery the online results page is from something called "Systemonline" is that what you have access to? The practice also has a website but the online results system is independent of that.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Requested mine a while back. My surgery seems very reluctant. Nothing happened yet, but I have had access to appointments and prescriptions for some time. I think @Bluetit1802 has access. See might be able to quote the Government's requirement for practises to comply.
Well it seems very much down to the individual practices how much you can do on the patient access and at the moment I can't do any more than I could do on the surgery web site which is make appointments and request a repeat prescription

Reactions: dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At my surgery the online results page is from something called "Systemonline" is that what you have access to? The practice also has a website but the online results system is independent of that.
No mine is Patient Access which I think is the same one as Bluetit as you say independent of the practise web site

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's what I have. Didn't realise that. Thanks for the information.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've used Patient Access for a number of years for appts and repeat prescriptions. It was only after my Type 2 diagnosis I requested access to test results. I think it is definitely a problem their end. I just had to go in and show ID to the receptionist, a few clicks on the keyboard and by the time I'd driven home my access to results was done.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My surgery uses SystemOnline. I have access to my test results etc. One problem is that most of the staff are not IT literate and don't know who to ask or what to do so it can be a battle. I was lucky and hit the right person in reception. I can see that some surgeries don't want you to have this level of access so you need to complain to the Practice Manager or even the CCG.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in Scotland there's on-line access to results via 'My Diabetes My Way'. With a couple of days of blood tests I can access the results and see graphs of my progress across a wide range of measures. It also lists my medication - when it was prescribed and when I last picked up more from the local pharmacy. There's also a lot of diabetes related information on the site which is managed by NHS Scotland.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work in a GP surgery so know that if a patient requests access to online results the surgery is obliged to give this access unless they feel it could be detrimental to the patients health. However, when I requested Patient Access to test results at my own surgery, different to the one I work at, I was told the surgery did not allow this type of access as it caused anxiety to patients. I argued with them over this stating that the majority of patients wishing access had chronic conditions that they understood. In the end I had to give them the guidelines set out for surgeries which clearly states that results must be accessible to patients if requested and not detrimental to their health. The surgery reluctantly agreed to give me access but asked me to 'keep it quiet'! Keep pushing for access and don't be fobbed off. If you still don't get a positive response speak to your local CCG and ask them to take it up with your surgery.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I work in a GP surgery so know that if a patient requests access to online results the surgery is obliged to give this access unless they feel it could be detrimental to the patients health. However, when I requested Patient Access to test results at my own surgery, different to the one I work at, I was told the surgery did not allow this type of access as it caused anxiety to patients. I argued with them over this stating that the majority of patients wishing access had chronic conditions that they understood. In the end I had to give them the guidelines set out for surgeries which clearly states that results must be accessible to patients if requested and not detrimental to their health. The surgery reluctantly agreed to give me access but asked me to 'keep it quiet'! Keep pushing for access and don't be fobbed off. If you still don't get a positive response speak to your local CCG and ask them to take it up with your surgery.
I keep asking my surgery for patient access as we cannot even make appointments on line - we used to be able to but they discontinued it a few years ago for some reason. I keep being told that it is up to the surgery what access they allowed so I think it might be time to take it further.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep asking my surgery for patient access as we cannot even make appointments on line - we used to be able to but they discontinued it a few years ago for some reason. I keep being told that it is up to the surgery what access they allowed so I think it might be time to take it further.

@Daphne917. Sorry, I don't know how to attach a file but if you go to www.england.nhs.uk and then search for patient access it will bring up a PDF file setting out the guidelines. You can take this along to your surgery and see what their response is.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Surgery use Patient Access, once I'd found out about the 'advanced' features (like being able to view test results with it) it took me a while to find the online form on their website to request it (it was hidden away deep within the menu system), it took a good 4 weeks and several chases via email for them to fulfil my request, oddly towards the end of those 4 weeks I said in an email that the wife would also like access to her test results, and she got her access within a day or 2 of me mentioning, and I still had to wait a few more days after that for mine!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daphne917. Sorry, I don't know how to attach a file but if you go to www.england.nhs.uk and then search for patient access it will bring up a PDF file setting out the guidelines. You can take this along to your surgery and see what their response is.
Thanks @CoastGirl I'everyone just gone into the surgery website and the only on-line patient access is for repeat prescriptions and list of medications which, tbh, is useless to me as I order my prescriptions via e-mail and know what medicines I and my husband are taking!

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @CoastGirl I'everyone just gone into the surgery website and the only on-line patient access is for repeat prescriptions and list of medications which, tbh, is useless to me as I order my prescriptions via e-mail and know what medicines I and my husband are taking!
What system is your surgery using? Is it Patient Access?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I would quote it, but I'm on holiday away from my PC. I can't make either my phone or tablet copy & paste,and don't have access to my PC bookmarks! Sorry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine uses EMIS. I can order repeat prescriptions online, and see what appointments I have booked (although I can't book appointments online).

I recently requested - again - for access to my test results. When I now click on 'Medical History' I can access.......

.......a list of my medication!

That's it! It's a different list (well, same items listed, just in a different format) to the one I go into to order stuff, but there's no access to any results anywhere.

My next step is to write to the practice manager, as I'm going round in circles with the reception team.

:banghead:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine uses EMIS. I can order repeat prescriptions online, and see what appointments I have booked (although I can't book appointments online).

I recently requested - again - for access to my test results. When I now click on 'Medical History' I can access.......

.......a list of my medication!

That's it! It's a different list (well, same items listed, just in a different format) to the one I go into to order stuff, but there's no access to any results anywhere.

My next step is to write to the practice manager, as I'm going round in circles with the reception team.

:banghead:
If I click on Medical History I get taken to medications first. Don't you get the menu I have in my screen shot, to select Test Results, Immunisations or Allergies?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 460

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

No, not those. What I had, and posted elsewhere a long time ago, wasn't from the NHS. It was from I think Public Health England when they published their guidelines to all GP surgeries in England, saying TEST RESULTS and coded consultation notes etc should be available on line by April 2016. Some surgeries first had to change their software to something suitable, some surgeries already had suitable software. Note there is a difference between test results and medical records.