People wont listen - rant

S

serenity648

It's a fairly common human response in my experience - a lot of people don't like being "preached" to. Unless people specifically ask me a question, it's not a subject I normally discuss. I also figure if I was interested enough to research this stuff for myself, then most other adults are capable of doing the same thing. If they're not prepared to do it to convince themselves of the validity of any approach (dietary or anything else for that matter), then any chance of "converting" them is pretty much out of the question IMO. These days information is just an internet search away, so if they're not looking, they probably don't want to know.
I am not preaching to them, I have been part of general discussions where others have brought the subject up, and talked about their diabetes type 2. But my contribution about what i do, and how well it has worked has fallen on deaf ears, even when they have just said how good my hbaic has got.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There's a good centre page spread in the 'Waitrose Weekend' this week, promoted full page on the front, about diabetes, and the 800 calorie blood sugar diet.
Article by Dr Michael Mosley, an article on exercise, and the Mediterranean diet, and a few good breakfast recipes.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same problem ... don't bother trying to help now .. its their life and they must find their own path in it .. breaks my heart to see a good friends health deteriorating due to following the medic advice ..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember when I joined this Forum, I had been doing 10 years of Eatwell-1 / Eat Bad-mostly, and when I saw the claims being made for Low Carb diet I said No F Way! I felt it was a load of zealots hijacking the site, and I too said *** many times. But I looked at the research and slowly it started to make sense to me. Why eat carbs if I don't need to? etc. Gradually I found myself copying info I found on the web into the threads, and started arguing as the devils advocate. But then I dipped my own toe into the water and tried a gentle LCHF lifestyle change, and it worked for me too!!!. This was the start of my own personal journey and I am now a strong supporter of LC myself. But I can see why others show disdain.

I am an engineer with scientific background, and got a Chemistry A Level which covered organics, and I also did a bit of biology too, so I was able to make informed decisions. Many folk I meet do not have that inquisitive mindset, so are vulnerable to the NHS paradigm, thus forming their opinion mainly from the media.

So I am not surprised by humankind, but I am surprised when it occurs with fellow diabetics who have a vested interest. I have had limited success with my T1D buddy, who suddenly noted that I stopped needing the bathroom so much, and that I was getting stable results. I have not yet won the war, but have a few battles less now, and he is following a lower carb diet than he used to.

It works for me, it works for you, so follow that yellow brick road. Publish and be damned! I think the secret is to say this is what I do, rather than this is what YOU should do, then leave it open. If the penny drops, then that is great. All we can do is sow the seeds.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I remember when I joined this Forum, I had been doing 10 years of Eatwell-1 / Eat Bad-mostly, and when I saw the claims being made for Low Carb diet I said No F Way! I felt it was a load of zealots hijacking the site, and I too said *** many times. But I looked at the research and slowly it started to make sense to me. Why eat carbs if I don't need to? etc. Gradually I found myself copying info I found on the web into the threads, and started arguing as the devils advocate. But then I dipped my own toe into the water and tried a gentle LCHF lifestyle change, and it worked for me too!!!. This was the start of my own personal journey and I am now a strong supporter of LC myself. But I can see why others show disdain.

I am an engineer with scientific background, and got a Chemistry A Level which covered organics, and I also did a bit of biology too, so I was able to make informed decisions. Many folk I meet do not have that inquisitive mindset, so are vulnerable to the NHS paradigm, thus forming their opinion mainly from the media.

So I am not surprised by humankind, but I am surprised when it occurs with fellow diabetics who have a vested interest. I have had limited success with my T1D buddy, who suddenly noted that I stopped needing the bathroom so much, and that I was getting stable results. I have not yet won the war, but have a few battles less now, and he is following a lower carb diet than he used to.

It works for me, it works for you, so follow that yellow brick road. Publish and be damned! I think the secret is to say this is what I do, rather than this is what YOU should do, then leave it open. If the penny drops, then that is great. All we can do is sow the seeds.

Very true :)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am not preaching to them, I have been part of general discussions where others have brought the subject up, and talked about their diabetes type 2. But my contribution about what i do, and how well it has worked has fallen on deaf ears, even when they have just said how good my hbaic has got.

Ask them if they have children, if so, you won't tell them or advise them on how to raise their children, so can they not advise you or raise your BS with their crass comments !!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've been thinking about this and I believe that people are just (mostly) a bit lazy. They think the NHS / medical establishment will have done all the research and must, therefore, be trusted to know best rather than the woman they work with who refuses to eat all the yummy stuff they themselves love best.

I also think they believe the complications won't happen to them, its like the whole head in the sand thing - you know - if I don't think about it, it won't happen to me.

There must be something about where I used to work because there was a fairly high percentage of Type 2s working there. (The free massive carb rich meals probably contributed). They worked alongside me, watched when I tested my BG before and after meals, smirked when I brought in a carb counted meal from home, smirked again when I wouldn't eat the cakes and takeaways and chocolates and fruit juice and those MASSIVE carb rich meals that they all looked on as a perk of the job. I was constantly asked why bother when you can eat what you want and 'just' take pills / injections that will solve everything. None of them bothered asking why I was doing it and after a while I stopped volunteering the information. All I could hope for was that when the day came that their diabetes did progress they would remember that there is another way to deal with it.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off thinking the whole LCHF thing was mad - that lasted a weekend before having read enough research and thinking back over my last few years, I realised that things really couldn't get any worse if I went for broke and simply embraced the whole thing including the saturated fats.

4 stone lighter later, I went on a date this week, with a guy 20 years younger than me who refused to believe I was not in my early 40's ( actually 59!)

I have now converted 4 of my non-diabetic neighbours onto an LCHF diet and one insulin dependent diabetic.

My 4 neighbours and 2 younger men are now doing it because " **** you look good girl " - Why is your skin and hair so healthy and why do you look so much younger than 6 months ago?

The conversation starts out in shock, progresses to - "you have got to be kidding" when in a coffee shop I stuck a knob of butter in my coffee and asked the waiter for cream instead of milk

and has progressed to the point where the lard shelf and supplies of butter and cream in my local supermarket are starting to run out ! and my diabetic friend has come off the insulin.

Meanwhile my own brother, who is less swayed by my new sexy appearance, has pretty much ignored a lot of what I said !

Tonight I have dinner invite from a chappie who has now embraced LCHF and is cooking a meal for me from the Tom Kerridge book.

Finally my dinner parties have a new found popularity as people get to eat stuff that is so wicked that they can't believe it.

All in all this diabetes diagnosis has considerably enhanced my social life - all hail to LCHF !

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

Nope. Not on your Nellie. Nada. Nope.

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

Fed up : ((((((

Why would you expect people to listen to you or give it a go. The way you have put it across on here sounds a bit patronising and probably puts some people off. You can't railroad people into doing what you think is right for them they have to make up their own minds just like we did

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you expect people to listen to you or give it a go. The way you have put it across on here sounds a bit patronising and probably puts some people off. You can't railroad people into doing what you think is right for them they have to make up their own minds just like we did
You got there in the end though didn't you? ;)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off thinking the whole LCHF thing was mad - that lasted a weekend before having read enough research and thinking back over my last few years, I realised that things really couldn't get any worse if I went for broke and simply embraced the whole thing including the saturated fats.

4 stone lighter later, I went on a date this week, with a guy 20 years younger than me who refused to believe I was not in my early 40's ( actually 59!)

I have now converted 4 of my non-diabetic neighbours onto an LCHF diet and one insulin dependent diabetic.

My 4 neighbours and 2 younger men are now doing it because " **** you look good girl " - Why is your skin and hair so healthy and why do you look so much younger than 6 months ago?

The conversation starts out in shock, progresses to - "you have got to be kidding" when in a coffee shop I stuck a knob of butter in my coffee and asked the waiter for cream instead of milk

and has progressed to the point where the lard shelf and supplies of butter and cream in my local supermarket are starting to run out ! and my diabetic friend has come off the insulin.

Meanwhile my own brother, who is less swayed by my new sexy appearance, has pretty much ignored a lot of what I said !

Tonight I have dinner invite from a chappie who has now embraced LCHF and is cooking a meal for me from the Tom Kerridge book.

Finally my dinner parties have a new found popularity as people get to eat stuff that is so wicked that they can't believe it.

All in all this diabetes diagnosis has considerably enhanced my social life - all hail to LCHF !

For what its worth -Tom Kerridge - dopamine diet - pork casserole with pancetta and cabbage with smoked cheese and pork rind topping - tastes magnificent effect on blood sugars - smooth downward slope ending at around 5.2 - not spike at all despite my friend cooking enough for 4- 6 people and the two of us eating at least enough for 3-4. leaving two very moderate future portions - all in all a magnificent success -he is very proud of himself!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Fabulous story Cherry, love it, and very uplifting, and I'm not one to gush.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fabulous story Cherry, love it, and very uplifting, and I'm not one to gush.

Thanks @dawnmc.
I guess for me " always look on the bright side " of life has some resonance. Without the diagnosis I would have spent the next ten years of my life getting ever more depressed about my appearance and my generally sluggish health. At least now it feels like I have a lifeline and some fight in me !

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My friends all agree that I look great, healthy and energetic. I was even told I have a glow now :)
They know my LCHF lifestyle choice but seem afraid to embrace it themselves ? .. as they are swallowing multiple medications, they say.. oh I don't think I could do that. all that fat must be bad for you.
I feel so liberated being free of the Eatwell brainwashing but they seem scared to go against doctors advice and are seemingly happy to keep increasing meds :(
Getting in the car last night after dancing for 3 hours, I caught a snippet of a radio program. I think it was Gloria Hunniford ? and I pricked up my ears when I heard her say.. Sugar is poison.. she then went on to extol the virtues of a low carb diet... I think some people are finally listening ?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not having the same problem thank goodness. Several diabetics in my family. My husband started LCHF to help me stick to it. After 3 weeks only one problem he has lost 12 pounds and I have lost about 3.5! Feeling slightly miffed.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not having the same problem thank goodness. Several diabetics in my family. My husband started LCHF to help me stick to it. After 3 weeks only one problem he has lost 12 pounds and I have lost about 3.5! Feeling slightly miffed.
Well done both of you! Try to keep focussed on your own achievements and don't be disheartened by the incredible shrinking man.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Let's be honest. before we were diagnosed as diabetic we would have been sceptical and uninterested too.
It's only the shock of being diagnosed that made us look for ways to deal with it.

Not entirely right. It was the likelihood of a diagnosis and 40 years of yo-yo dieting that did it for me. Something had to go, and that something was pizza and beer. Mmmm, beer. ;)

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For what its worth -Tom Kerridge - dopamine diet - pork casserole with pancetta and cabbage with smoked cheese and pork rind topping - tastes magnificent effect on blood sugars - smooth downward slope ending at around 5.2 - not spike at all despite my friend cooking enough for 4- 6 people and the two of us eating at least enough for 3-4. leaving two very moderate future portions - all in all a magnificent success -he is very proud of himself!

Tom Kerridge should be proud of himself. If I remember correctly, he's lost something like 11 stone. I remember when he won Best British Menu, or whatever, he was enormous! I could wish he'd be a bit more vocal about the joys of a low carb lifestyle to encourage others but it's not his responsibility.

It's so hard to not tell everyone you know!