People wont listen - rant

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi AndBreathe in some ways I'm a little like you I'm 70 don't go on social media sites they leave nothing out and that's not me,but this site cannot be compared with nosiness it's people with the same problems has we who are trying to genuinely help anyone with there diabetes problems. What others or myself put on here we do willingly to interact with a community that we will probably never meet and that enables people to ask or explain about anything they need help with.Embrace it it will open a brand new world of help and advice,after all we all need it from time to time whatever our age.Wish you well hope you too will eventually find for yourself what a great source of information you'll find on this diabetic site.Best wishes KathleenX

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What do you do if you haven't got a food processor,I'm waiting of delivery of a spiralizer this week has I love Italian food but how would I make a tomato based sauce from scratch/ or a sauce that's healthy low carb carbonara type sauce.
I know I'm getting on a bit but cannot find my way round this site sometimes especially when I want some changes to what I eat more healthier options to the ready made jars from supermarket.!Help?

It is possible to grate cauli on a large holed cheese grater. It does make less mess than me doing it in the mini chopper!! I do seem to get cauli in places where it shouldnt be!
I used to have a grater with a "box" underneath it and that was brilliant for grating anything!

I cant eat anything with onion or tomatos... however for me I add pesto into everything... with cream or soft cheese. I should make my own pesto, but I dont....

I eat curry sauce without onion or garlic as an ingredient and it tastes just as good.

For people with acid reflux (like me) the best way to help avoid the need for PPI meds is to stop onions and tomatoes. My stomach and colon cant break them down so I have extra reason..

Just a tin of tomatoes with you adding herbs will make an
Italian sauce instead of a shelf one.. add cut up pepper, onion and italian sauce from home!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AndBreathe in some ways I'm a little like you I'm 70 don't go on social media sites they leave nothing out and that's not me,but this site cannot be compared with nosiness it's people with the same problems has we who are trying to genuinely help anyone with there diabetes problems. What others or myself put on here we do willingly to interact with a community that we will probably never meet and that enables people to ask or explain about anything they need help with.Embrace it it will open a brand new world of help and advice,after all we all need it from time to time whatever our age.Wish you well hope you too will eventually find for yourself what a great source of information you'll find on this diabetic site.Best wishes KathleenX

This site is no more private than facebook, and there are regular links on the diabetes.co.uk Facebook page which encourage Facebookers to read this site.

So I would urge you to use the same commonsense privacy standards that you would anywhere on the internet, and withhold name, location, personal details, etc.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
What do you do if you haven't got a food processor,I'm waiting of delivery of a spiralizer this week has I love Italian food but how would I make a tomato based sauce from scratch/ or a sauce that's healthy low carb carbonara type sauce.
I know I'm getting on a bit but cannot find my way round this site sometimes especially when I want some changes to what I eat more healthier options to the ready made jars from supermarket.!Help?

You can make cauli rice using a normal grater (it turns out a bit finer than the shop bought) and I've made courgette pasta ribbons using a potato peeler.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is possible to grate cauli on a large holed cheese grater. It does make less mess than me doing it in the mini chopper!! I do seem to get cauli in places where it shouldnt be!
I used to have a grater with a "box" underneath it and that was brilliant for grating anything!

I cant eat anything with onion or tomatos... however for me I add pesto into everything... with cream or soft cheese. I should make my own pesto, but I dont....

I eat curry sauce without onion or garlic as an ingredient and it tastes just as good.

For people with acid reflux (like me) the best way to help avoid the need for PPI meds is to stop onions and tomatoes. My stomach and colon cant break them down so I have extra reason..

Just a tin of tomatoes with you adding herbs will make an
Italian sauce instead of a shelf one.. add cut up pepper, onion and italian sauce from home!!

My acid reflux stopped by the end of the first week of me starting low carbing. Gaviscon must have really noticed the difference in their profits. :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Chook for passing on the post you can always get an answer from people on here wishing you well and hope you carry on with little or no problems with acid reflux.KathleenX

Reactions: Prem51

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Brunneria I have tried Facebook last year found it stressful so many people to keep in touch with,I like this site so I will stay with this site if you don't mind!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria I have tried Facebook last year found it stressful so many people to keep in touch with,I like this site so I will stay with this site if you don't mind!
I think Brunneria was trying to alert you to the fact that any post you make on here may also be shown on Facebook. This site is therefore no more private than facebook. The owners of this site use our posts on facebook to promote DCUK, they reason that since it is a public site it doesn't matter that they reproduce our posts there. We have also agreed that they can do this in the Terms & Conditions of this site when joining. So any little thing you post that may be recognisable to some one else (ie the pic of those cute little dogs or the county you live in) could give your ID away to anyone who is on facebook and who knows you personally.

It's good to be aware of these things from the start. :) I wish I had been.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I tend to google recipes. Just type in low carb whatever and I usually get some good results. There is also a recipe forum on here.
This is a great tomato sauce. The dish itself is really good . I make loads of the sauce and keep it in the fridge. It's great on its own and also makes a fab base for chilli or bolognese etc
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-mail-on-sunday/20160320/284223759635508

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do have a Facebook account but I never use it. As you say, its quite stressful and there is usually a reason why you've dropped out of being in contact with someone so why would you want to start up the relationship all over again? About the only time I use it is to stay in contact with very close family who live abroad.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to google recipes. Just type in low carb whatever and I usually get some good results. There is also a recipe forum on here.
This is a great tomato sauce. The dish itself is really good . I make loads of the sauce and keep it in the fridge. It's great on its own and also makes a fab base for chilli or bolognese etc
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-mail-on-sunday/20160320/284223759635508
Daisyduck, that's a wonderful recipe. Thanks for finding it. My Mum, who was Italian, used to make this for us when we were little. It was so delicious. And inexpensive to boot. I'm definitely going to bring some memories back with this. And low carb too! Wonderful x

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Daisyduck, that's a wonderful recipe. Thanks for finding it. My Mum, who was Italian, used to make this for us when we were little. It was so delicious. And inexpensive to boot. I'm definitely going to bring some memories back with this. And low carb too! Wonderful x

That's reminded me to make a batch now :)
Check that the tins of tomatoes you buy don't have added sugar. I use Lidl tins which are just chopped tomato and salt

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I that's just one more example of the fact there are as many approaches to the condition as there are those diagnosed.

My approach is nothing to do with stigma. I am just a private person, and don't care to discuss my personal affairs with all and sundry, in the same way I don't expect a full explanation when someone else decides to make a change in their lives.

I agree I do what works for me but that may not work for others. I really don't feel obliged to tell other people about what I do because it is personal to me. There is no holy grail of diets if only it was as simple as..one size suits all...we would all be in remission by now

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Zand no I hadn't realised all we put on here is posted on Facebook I'm of a generation not at all computer literate in every way just the basics,I struggle to find my way around this site I use this site because I can get help with diabetes from what I thought was only for diabetics not to put it out to all and sundry.So I thank you for spelling it out for me and I will try to watch out in future,and I apologise to Brunneria for the misunderstanding.It puts this site in a new light and I feel a little stressed on the other hand what have I done that's so wrong what a terrible world out there that you have to be so careful about what you say or write,when really we are only looking for help.But thank you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Zand no I hadn't realised all we put on here is posted on Facebook I'm of a generation not at all computer literate in every way just the basics,I struggle to find my way around this site I use this site because I can get help with diabetes from what I thought was only for diabetics not to put it out to all and sundry.So I thank you for spelling it out for me and I will try to watch out in future,and I apologise to Brunneria for the misunderstanding.It puts this site in a new light and I feel a little stressed on the other hand what have I done that's so wrong what a terrible world out there that you have to be so careful about what you say or write,when really we are only looking for help.But thank you.

Don't worry, and don't stress about it!
It is just a matter of avoiding giving out any info that someone could use to identify you (so no boasting about your extensive wine collection and triple car garage ;) )

Just keep private info for private messages, if you want to discuss personal stuff, and make sure your profile pic isn't obviously you. People do give out huge amounts of personal information on other sites, but here it is our health info, and that is somehow more personal, for some of us. :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't worry, and don't stress about it!
It is just a matter of avoiding giving out any info that someone could use to identify you (so no boasting about your extensive wine collection and triple car garage ;) )

Just keep private info for private messages, if you want to discuss personal stuff, and make sure your profile pic isn't obviously you. People do give out huge amounts of personal information on other sites, but here it is our health info, and that is somehow more personal, for some of us. :)
Hi Brunneria I hadn't understood you so sorry but how can I delete my profile photo and change it to a not so obvious one like yours.And where on the site is private messages,told you I'm not computer savvy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria I hadn't understood you so sorry but how can I delete my profile photo and change it to a not so obvious one like yours.And where on the site is private messages,told you I'm not computer savvy.

No problem! Just upload a different pic in exactly the same way as when you uploaded your dog pic. (Go to your profile and click on the avatar pic link).

To send private messages to people is just like sending emails. Click on the little envelope in the top right of the screen. You sent a private message to me a week or so ago, although you may not have realised what you were doing at the time, so you should recognise it when you see it. :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks again and no I hadn't realised I'd done that or how.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again and no I hadn't realised I'd done that or how.
I didn't mean to scare you. Sorry. Oh and I'm not computer savvy either....I used a very old photo of myself as my first avatar thinking that would be OK as I don't look anything like that nowadays. Unfortunately someone from years ago recognised it and things got a little embarassing. I'm still here though as for me the benefits far outway the risks.

Last edited:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I didn't mean to scare you. Sorry. Oh and I'm not computer savvy either....I used a very old photo of myself as my first avatar thinking that would be OK as I don't look anything like that nowadays. Unfortunately someone from years ago recognised it and things got a little embarassing. I'm still here though as for me the benefits far outway the risks.
Had a pretty bad nights sleep and thought about if I should delete everything and not bother,but common sense and not panicking prevailed,I've gained so much from this site and all of you on the forum are so helpful. If I stop now I'll undo what I set out to achieve something I've never had Control of My Diabetes!!! So I will try and understand what I should not post and I will speak with my grandchildren they are more computer wise than ever I'll ever be.Thank for being so understanding and patient with this Golden Oldie.