Pharmacy refusal to sell thrush medication

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
there has always been a limitation on selling it for vaginal thrush in the elderly(classed as over 60) as it could be a sign of undiagnosed diabetes or poorly controlled diabetes.
So why can't a known diabetic over 60 get it? Having diabetes isn't a contraindication for using Canesten.
And why only the over 60? There are lots of people under 60 with uncontrolled on undiagnosed diabetes.

Pat50D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too was refused caneston by pharmacy because of my age. Luckily I got in quickly to see a nurse at GP surgery and she said I couldn't have it because of the meds I was on. I was prescribed something different which worked. Thought of ordering it on amazon but glad I didn't.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local Boots refused to sell me athlete's foot powder because I am diabetic. The reason they gave was that diabetes can cause foot infections. I said I knew that, that's why I didn't want to wait a month to see my GP.
I've learnt not to say that I have diabetes. Otherwise they refuse me to by products. For the first time in my life I developed a toe nail fungal infection. I bought the product I wanted on the internet instead.

amicipat

With regards to ‘under breasts’ try Vagisil products. After washing the area pat dry and then apply the talc. This has always worked for me since living in USA years ago and Vagisil was only available in US and not UK.
It is available in most Chemist but I get mine delivered from Amazon and make sure I never run out!

Cherry81

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everybody,

My bg is a little awry at the moment and I have thrush. this is a common problem when my bg has been uncontrolled for a few days.

I went to get some canestan to sort it out but the girl on the till refused to sell it to me as I was over 60! ( I’m 62). How long has this been a thing?

I spoke to the pharmacist who relented but for goodness sake! He wanted me to have a review…(so no time soon then). I said that I had my problem now and it needed sorting out now.
This was at Boots
Anybody else experienced this? Any thoughts? Tips (apart from ‘say you’re 58).

TIA
Rachel
Hi. I actually work at Boots and have been researching people questioning this, as receive a lot of abuse for this. Firstly, Canestan is only licensed to sell to above 16 year olds and under 60s. It literally says it on the box. If we were to sell it to you, we would break regulations. Also, thrush is rare in ladies after menopause so this is exactly why we direct people to their GPs as it could indicate something else. If you are diabetic- even more so. It needs to be properly looked at and GPs are licensed professionals to prescribe thrush medication where we in community pharmacies are not. So you could lie next time you go buy it, but you will also be doing yourself an injustice. Thrush medicines (and many others) are sold BEHIND the counter and not on the shelf in the general store for the reason that it needs to be regulated. It is for safety. I’m glad they refused to sell it as it means they are following regulations, procedures and law.

Cherry81

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So why can't a known diabetic over 60 get it? Having diabetes isn't a contraindication for using Canesten.
And why only the over 60? There are lots of people under 60 with uncontrolled on undiagnosed diabetes.
It states it on the box. Very clearly.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I had the same problem from one chemist so went to another and they sold me it happily!!

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I took Forxiga, the side effect was thrush and the GP said if you get it then just ring pharmacy and we’ll arrange for you to get the medication. But late Friday afternoon no hope in hell of getting the medication asap. So went to the pharmacy linked to the GP Practice and they asked my age. I told the truth and they said they couldn’t give it me as I was over 60 and thrush could be caused by other things! I explained why I had it but he still said I had to contact GP. So I went to Tesco pharmacy and they didn’t ask so I must have looked younger that evening :p

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody,

My bg is a little awry at the moment and I have thrush. this is a common problem when my bg has been uncontrolled for a few days.

I went to get some canestan to sort it out but the girl on the till refused to sell it to me as I was over 60! ( I’m 62). How long has this been a thing?

I spoke to the pharmacist who relented but for goodness sake! He wanted me to have a review…(so no time soon then). I said that I had my problem now and it needed sorting out now.
This was at Boots

TIA
Rachel
My advice would be to get acquainted with an independent prescribing pharmacist, if there's one within striking distance.

That way you get a personalised service from somebody who knows you; especially beneficial if the condition develops out of hours over a weekend or bank holiday.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's only one duty chemist open here for 2 hours Saturday aft/Sunday and bank holidays, so no chance of a personalised service.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I think the assumption is once we hit 60 we're all going gaga anyway, and can't think for ourselves.
Not 60 yet, but gaga already and proud lol I have hairdressing clients in the 80s that are more alert than me!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody,

This was at Boots

TIA
Rachel
You are lucky the Phamacist relented. I’m on Forixiga for my Diabetes and often get thrush but keep it at bay by using a little cannesten every week.
I have been refused because I am Diabetic even though One the side effects of Forixiga is Thrush.
I have been refused in my small local pharmacy after a very embarrassing conversation in public in the small shop. I have also been refused in Tesco Express Manvers/Rotherham. Who previously took Cannesten off sale at the general tills so that you had to use the in store pharmacy. This time I was successful and common sense prevailed. At the same shop different pharmacist, refused.
I will now have Lie, or get my wife to get me some on my behalf.
It’s madness that you have go through this process and feel like you are asking for methodone or something. To be left in discomfort untreated when getting to speak to a doctor or getting an appointment is neigh on impossible or months away is just crazy.