Pharmacy refusal to sell thrush medication

bryanfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude/ignorant people and those who don't clean up after their dogs no fun gettng poo stuck in wheelchair hels
Aside from the traditional location if my bgs have been running high for a while, I also sometimes get it very mildly under my breasts. (Sorry if that's TMI). I find the cream is very handy for heat induced rashes.

My wild guess is that chemists want people to get checked for diabetes if you present with it, but if you are already diabetic then what is the point? But a request as to whether this is a recurring problem and if so have you seen a doctor seems to be age independent...
Hi I suffer from redness and itching under breast and under tummy, found the perfect treatment for me is called My Trusty Sunflower Moisturising Cream. Made by NHS for patients recovering from surgery and burns and profits from the sales go back to the NHS
had Problems trying to buy canestan from Boots even when explaining it is recommended by my Dermatologist to buy it for thighs itching due to psoriasis so buy it now from eBay or Amazon
IMG_2971.jpeg

RoVic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes! i can say if your over 60 you need a doctors prescription if female or male. while at Tesco's pharmacy the other day i asked for a tube , was asked if i was diabetic to which i answered "Yes" was told in that case No, was then asked my age answered 70 was again told NO ...... told to see doctor for prescription !!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what I can add to my delivery or click and collect from Tesco. The only limitation seems to be no substitutions will be made. Plus of course you need to be 18 or over to receive the shopping.

IMG_9170.png

Male1960T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Its not just women that get thrush, when on tablets it was a real problem for me and tesco pharmacy were particularly unhelpful .
Fortunately I'm not the shy retiring type so when asked "what's it for and what type of canistan do you want" I announced in a loud voice its for my (male chicken) I'll show you if you like.
Ii was recently prescribed Daktarin cream an antifungal cream.
Tesco pharmacy said it didn't exist it was a gell and they wouldn't supply it, she said "And don't come back here for it !"
Boots said there was supply issues
Lloyd's were out of stock.
Thakfully an independently owned pharmacy on the other side of town had some old stock.
Pharmacists have been given some extra powers recently and it seems to have gone to some of their heads.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

Male1960T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! i can say if your over 60 you need a doctors prescription if female or male. while at Tesco's pharmacy the other day i asked for a tube , was asked if i was diabetic to which i answered "Yes" was told in that case No, was then asked my age answered 70 was again told NO ...... told to see doctor for prescription !!!!
I was told if a medicine was available over the counter a Dr wast to prescribe it.
But if you get it on prescription over 60 or diabetic it's free.

Reactions: EllieM

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Boots wouldn't sell me canesten because I'm over 60 and diabetic, even though the canesten was being bought for someone who isn't over 60 and isn't diabetic. That makes no difference.

This is as expected given the way the regulation is drafted - the prohibition is absolute on the sale by the pharmacy, not on use, although it's the use that they're trying to control.

Moon**

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everybody,

My bg is a little awry at the moment and I have thrush. this is a common problem when my bg has been uncontrolled for a few days.

I went to get some canestan to sort it out but the girl on the till refused to sell it to me as I was over 60! ( I’m 62). How long has this been a thing?

I spoke to the pharmacist who relented but for goodness sake! He wanted me to have a review…(so no time soon then). I said that I had my problem now and it needed sorting out now.
This was at Boots
Anybody else experienced this? Any thoughts? Tips (apart from ‘say you’re 58).

TIA
Rachel
I've been asked if I have any health problems. I give them my list then they say oh you have diabetes we can't give it to you go back to your doctor, it's been a few different chemists. My doctor doesn't know why.

bryanfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude/ignorant people and those who don't clean up after their dogs no fun gettng poo stuck in wheelchair hels
I have had same problem with various Boots so now buy fro eBay or Amazon they may ask why you need it and I said recommrnded by dermatology consultant they were happy with that