Phil Vickery's New Diabetes Book

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I was on Twitter earlier today and noticed that Phil Vickery was promoting his cook book for people with Diabetes. I tweeted him saying "Brilliant but if your recipes contain Bread, Potatoes, Rice, Pasta or any other high Carb foods then your recipes will not be suitable for many if not most Diabetics. Only on the picture I could see him holding up a bowl with carrots "I know some people can eat them" and what appears to be white rice..He instantly blocked me,so I assume the recipes must have foods that we cannot eat lol. You would think as a chef promoting a cookbook for people with Diabetes would want to find out more and do some research ..Gone off him now lol. Obviously just interested in making money. On the plus side I did get a lot of thumbs up, obviously from Diabetics on there that know best

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recipes suitable for type 1,type 2 and prediabetes are likely to be quite different. Now if hed titled his book recipes for type 2 diabetics then Id totally agree with you
Pesoally I cant abide twitter so never use it -having said that, blocking someone because they disgree with you just seems plain rude tho’ and makes Phil Vickerylook like a bit of a d***head

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4E29B6CF-A1E9-45E0-8A8D-26107605B3C4.jpeg
Look who it’s sponsored by! May explain it!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please can people sent tweets to say things like:
  • Will the book include Continues Golocse Monitor traces showing the effect of the meals on people with Type2?
  • Will the natural sugar content of each meal be clearly listed?
  • How much of the book is an overview of research studies showing the best diet for people with Type2
  • Will you explain how carbohydrates are broken down into sugar when they are digested?
Only ask questions, leave other people to make a judgement..... If each of asks sends one positive question on Twitter, we may get a lot of people thinking.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please can people sent tweets to say things like:
  • Will the book include Continues Golocse Monitor traces showing the effect of the meals on people with Type2
  • Will the natural sugar content of each meal be clearly listed?
  • Will the carb content of each mail be clearly listed?
  • How much of the book is an overview of research studies showing the best diet for people with Type2?
Only ask questions, leave other people to make a judgement..... If each of asks sends one positive question on Twitter, we may get a lot of people thinking.

I’ll try the carb one. I’m not very good at Twitter. I’m usually just a passive observer!

EDIT I’ve done it! Not sure if I know how to view any reply though!

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked if it has the carb breakdown and PV liked my comment.. according to the other place's website it should have nutritional info. They seem to sell loads of c**p there though...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phil Vickery has ‘liked’ my comment!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It wont be PV that's doing all that Twatter stuff, it will be his marketing team.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You lucky thing...I must admit I'm not even sure who he is?
Husband of Fern Britton an old presenter of This Morning. She was railroaded off air due to saying her bariatric surgery was nothing but diet and exercise (a band fitted). She does Rivita ads now. He is a chef who became a TV chef due to her position on This Morning TV show.
I don't think she's diabetic but not sure.

Reactions: Dodo and Rachox

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What we are doing with these tweets is unlikely to change this book, but will get a lot of people thinking about why some people with Type2 care about carbs and using a meter etc. Changing people's mindset about diets starts with getting them to question what they think they know.

We know need 3 or 4 other people who are reading this thread, to post some more questions to him......

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If he'd done his research properly he could be rolling it in. I'd buy a decent one for a present.
Only ones I've seen have keto written all over them, which can put people off.

They should call it the 'insulin diet cookbook'.

I'm thinking of setting my son up at 17 to open a low carb shop in Sunderland. With demos and videos showing inside. I'm giving it heavy consideration. He can do on-line bulk via a supplier I know of fantastic French cheeses and meats/fish.
I have the connections to supply and will soon have the money from working in the South to set it off. He needs to do business studies to round him off nicely. He's very interested.
He wanted to be a chef but I've talked him out of the poor pay!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have a Twitter account but can’t remember when I last used it. Will have a go later on after dinner.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What we are doing with these tweets is unlikely to change this book, but will get a lot of people thinking about why some people with Type2 care about carbs and using a meter etc. Changing people's mindset about diets starts with getting them to question what they think they know.

We know need 3 or 4 other people who are reading this thread, to post some more questions to him......
I'm not that interested in making money for someone else. Sorry.
Done that and have worn the t-shirt. :(

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on Twitter earlier today and noticed that Phil Vickery was promoting his cook book for people with Diabetes. I tweeted him saying "Brilliant but if your recipes contain Bread, Potatoes, Rice, Pasta or any other high Carb foods then your recipes will not be suitable for many if not most Diabetics. Only on the picture I could see him holding up a bowl with carrots "I know some people can eat them" and what appears to be white rice..He instantly blocked me,so I assume the recipes must have foods that we cannot eat lol. You would think as a chef promoting a cookbook for people with Diabetes would want to find out more and do some research ..Gone off him now lol. Obviously just interested in making money. On the plus side I did get a lot of thumbs up, obviously from Diabetics on there that know best

4.5 million people in the UK are living with diabetes, with someone diagnosed every 2 minutes. It is essential to eat well, to ensure a balance of foods low in sugar, saturated fat and salt, and including a high proportion of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans and pulses. All the recipes in the book have been tested several ...
That is a quote from the book blurb so I guess he is taking the 'party line' on healthy whole grains and fat. To be balanced if lots of people did eat that way (low sugar and more vegetables) then there would be less diabetes however we can do better on LCHF and it would be great if someone mainstream picked that up and ran with it!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@walnut_face I thought he was a rugby player too.

So had to start by downloading Twitter onto my iPad and resetting my password, but question duly posed - and other’s questions liked!

Reactions: Rachox and Guzzler

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just use a web browser to access Twitter, no need to use a different app for each site.