Phil Vickery's New Diabetes Book

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I asked if it has the carb breakdown and PV liked my comment.. according to the other place's website it should have nutritional info. They seem to sell loads of c**p there though...
Ha ha ha..I think that I must have annoyed him as he probably thought "Get rid of her,she is ruining my book" lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@walnut_face I thought he was a rugby player too.

So had to start by downloading Twitter onto my iPad and resetting my password, but question duly posed - and other’s questions liked!
He is married to Fern Britain and sometimes appears on "This Morning show" with |Holly and Phil..I have not watched it in years but did see him on there when |I flicked over the channel. He used to cook Fern a special diet to help her keep her weight off, so I thought maybe he would have been more knowledgeable regarding Diabetes. He is so knowledgeable about food, obviously not what Diabetics should eating.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I am wondering if he is finding his book hard to sell..Started off at £14.00 (Expensive) now has lowered the price to £7.00 in some places. I think many Diabetics are starting to realise that LCHF is the way to go and will not be buying his book.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B917BF84-831A-4A5B-BBDF-F3EF75022484.jpeg
Well I am wondering if he is finding his book hard to sell..Started off at £14.00 (Expensive) now has lowered the price to £7.00 in some places. I think many Diabetics are starting to realise that LCHF is the way to go and will not be buying his book.

You’re missing a trick Derry. It’s only £5 on Amazon!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is normal with books, as Amazon will never pay a publisher more than 40% of the list price, and books cost very little to print in large numbers. Therefore get the first sales at full price, and still make lots of money when you discount.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've asked about nutritional info including carb count

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25156

You’re missing a trick Derry. It’s only £5 on Amazon!

Do you think we should chip in and buy 1 copy so we can see what it's like and what info it has in it?
Then we can have a go on twitter if it's ****... (looking at who supports it I'm guessing that is quite likely).

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
checking PV's twitter feed and there seems to be some extreme carb offerings being made to the residents of Clarence House!
I am also thinking that some of the TV chefs that have managed significant personal weight loss then don't follow their own eating regime when demonstrating cooking on their programmes.
Most of the TV chefs and cooking programmes seem to work on the assumption that everyone eats meat (otherwise they might be a dangerous extremist of some kind) and the notion of Low Carbs would likely be considered a bit wacko and equally extremist. Things are changing though and I remain optimistic. When I eat amongst family and friends I think they think I'm trying to over-play my condition and draw unnecessary attention to myself because they haven't realised that the world isn't flat yet - and why should they until they may get told they're T2DB too! Go on - eat that baked spud - I'm sure it won't kill you (right away) :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think we should chip in and buy 1 copy so we can see what it's like and what info it has in it?
Then we can have a go on twitter if it's ****... (looking at who supports it I'm guessing that is quite likely).

I just found that there’s three of four recipes from the book on his website. I can’t see if the nutritional info is per portion or the whole recipe. The poached pears if it’s 19g carb per portion that’s too high for me for a dessert!
Amazon doesn’t have a preview for it! I wonder why?!
https://vickery.tv/books/ultimate-diabetes-cookbook

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found that there’s three of four recipes from the book on his website. I can’t see if the nutritional info is per portion or the whole recipe. The poached pears if it’s 19g carb per portion that’s too high for me for a dessert!

Think we just saved ourselves £5
"to ensure a balance of foods low in sugar, saturated fat and salt, and including a high proportion of fruit, vegetables, wholegrains, beans and pulses. All the recipes in the book have been tested several times to ensure they are nutritionally sound, conform to Diabetes UK's guidelines, and of course, taste delicious." my bolding
So all the usual dietary rubbish... hey ho.. thanks for the link though..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have yet to come across a popular recipe book for diabetics that understands the need for low-carbs; they are mostly rubbish.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Recipes suitable for type 1,type 2 and prediabetes are likely to be quite different. Now if hed titled his book recipes for type 2 diabetics then Id totally agree with you
Pesoally I cant abide twitter so never use it -having said that, blocking someone because they disgree with you just seems plain rude tho’ and makes Phil Vickerylook like a bit of a d***head
I have to disagree to some extent. Yes, T2s have to follow a fairly strict low-carb diet whereas T1 can adjust the insulin to match but even T1s need to control the carbs to avoid weight gain as I do. I see no difference between the recipe needs for T1, T2 or pre-diabetes as we are all glucose intolerant and it's glucose that can cause weight gain.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
He is married to Fern Britain and sometimes appears on "This Morning show" with |Holly and Phil..I have not watched it in years but did see him on there when |I flicked over the channel. He used to cook Fern a special diet to help her keep her weight off, so I thought maybe he would have been more knowledgeable regarding Diabetes. He is so knowledgeable about food, obviously not what Diabetics should eating.
There is a picture of Fern in today's papers showing she has gained some weight since the surgery. Is there a connection between this and Phil's recipes?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There is a picture of Fern in today's papers showing she has gained some weight since the surgery. Is there a connection between this and Phil's recipes?
Oh really? did not see that. She did have surgery for her weight loss but said that Phil Vickery was helping her maintain her weight. She stayed slim for quite a while. Hope she is not following his recipes in his new book lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have yet to come across a popular recipe book for diabetics that understands the need for low-carbs; they are mostly rubbish.
They are but there are some good Keto ones out there. They are quite strict but some of the recipes are good..But I do not like baking with ground Almonds and their pretend breads etc

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh if he has poached pears, think we should deffo keep away from that book lol..Bet your bottom dollar most recipes for us will be a no no

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
They are but there are some good Keto ones out there. They are quite strict but some of the recipes are good..But I do not like baking with ground Almonds and their pretend breads etc
Have you tried fibreflour, "we" are having good results with this (apart from anything that needs to rise).

I have been playing with linseed also, the results so far are just edible, so I am going to cut with other ingredients.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you tried fibreflour, "we" are having good results with this (apart from anything that needs to rise).

I have been playing with linseed also, the results so far are just edible, so I am going to cut with other ingredients.
No I have never tried Fibre Flour. Is it easy to come by and do you add yeast?