Pizza, Burger, Pasta etc......

JeromeFel47

Hi to all,

I have seen some diabetics that just devour big burgers and pizza and big bowls of pasta.
Whilst I am not looking to do that everyday, it would be nice once a week or once every two weeks to do that because I used to be a big fan of all this stuff and still am, although I’ve not yet had the chance to have much of them.
How do people manage to have an entire pizza for example? How much do they bolus for that and should I exercise before or after?

Thank you

Reactions: cgm03

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might help if you could fill in your profile so people know what Type diabetic you are, and also what medications you are on.
The type and meds can distinctly change the answers that you may get.

JeromeFel47

It might help if you could fill in your profile so people know what Type diabetic you are, and also what medications you are on.
The type and meds can distinctly change the answers that you may get.

Will do that now, I thought I did already my bad. I’m Type 1 on Lantus 18 Units in the mornings and NovoRapid before meals.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, as a T1 you can theoretically do it (it may take multiple boluses (boli?)) because the fat content in pizza is notorious for spreading the carb load over multiple hours.

Personally, I haven't been able to get away with it for years, but I have some insulin resistance going on and just daren't eat that many carbs, at least not combined with the cheese.
Pasta is easier though, just count the carbs and bolus for it.....

Reactions: JeromeFel47

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I do eat what I want and I do have great control. You have to learn how to dose for yourself as we can all be so different.

But a potato or spaghetti (vegan everything for me) I dose half my bolus (prebolus) about 30 minutes before I eat and the rest when I eat. This is what I do with almost all the "normal" food I eat. Give or take on timing depending what blood sugar level I am starting at. But timing is the trick for me to keep my blood sugar levels fairly stable.

My entire pizza is easier because of being a vegan, even long time T1's say they have trouble with pizza, they still eat it but it's harder to dose for because it's high fat, high carb. The fat delays the carb absorption. For me I have my insulin dose divided in threes in this case, a third a half hour before, a third when I eat and a third a half hour after. It took some experimenting to figure it out. But my pizza is lower fat than a regular pizza. Some Type 1's talk about taking an correction bolus even hours after they eat.

I can't help you at all with the burger! My vegan burger and veggies on sprouted whole grain bun is probably far different than a regular burger.

I just had 78 g carbs, 58 g protein, 18 g fats in a rice salad and vegan sausages. I took a prebolus about 20 minutes before I ate, with the rest when I ate. I eat the rice salad all the time, the sausages were new. I dropped sooner than I expected and ended up eating some pineapple when I wasn't hungry. I think because it ended up higher fat and higher protein with the sausages and it slowed down the carb digestion. It will always be a learning experience, but experience and trial and error is how you figure it out.

A Libre really helps in figuring out dosing easier, I would suggest trying to get one!

Reactions: JeromeFel47