Please can we have a forum section on reactive hypoglycaemia?

Pdiabet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let us know if it does?

I'm interested in hearing about anything that helps!
I think PS starch is not suitable for me
It drives ms to hypos
I m eating only 1000 calories on lchf bcoz i wont feel hungry
Is it reason i m not loosing weight on lchf
Thanks for u r advice

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think PS starch is not suitable for me
It drives ms to hypos
I m eating only 1000 calories on lchf bcoz i wont feel hungry
Is it reason i m not loosing weight on lchf
Thanks for u r advice

1000 calories is very low; especially for a man. Do you want to be losing weight, or is this a problem? I can't tell from your information.

Pdiabet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1000 calories is very low; especially for a man. Do you want to be losing weight, or is this a problem? I can't tell from your information.
I m not loosing weight
I dougt problem of water retentation
Hitting hypos also pl guide

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I m not loosing weight
I dougt problem of water retentation
Hitting hypos also pl guide

I would guess that you just aren't eating enough.
My experience of low carbing is that it dramatically reduces the incidence of hypos - because you eat slow release/slow digesting foods.

I don't really know the science of how the body goes into starvation mode, and tries to use as few calories as possible, but maybe that is what is happening.

If I were you, I would try experimenting for a couple of days - more to drink, more to eat. but the foods I would increase would be the meat, fish, eggs, cheese, veg and fats rather than the carbs.

Even if you decide not to keep up the extra portions, you are VERY unlikely to gain any weight, so don't worry about that! :)

(if potato starch is giving you hypos then it must have too much carb - so they haven't actually transformed enough of the potato starch into resistent starch. thanks for telling us your results. I definitely won't try it after hearing your experience! )

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nor me! Not that I would even try to experiment with it!
If you are having hypos then lo carbs are essential. If you need to gain weight as has been suggested eat more calories not carbs. Eat more often every two hours or so. Let us know how you get on!

Pdiabet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would guess that you just aren't eating enough.
My experience of low carbing is that it dramatically reduces the incidence of hypos - because you eat slow release/slow digesting foods.

I don't really know the science of how the body goes into starvation mode, and tries to use as few calories as possible, but maybe that is what is happening.

If I were you, I would try experimenting for a couple of days - more to drink, more to eat. but the foods I would increase would be the meat, fish, eggs, cheese, veg and fats rather than the carbs.

Even if you decide not to keep up the extra portions, you are VERY unlikely to gain any weight, so don't worry about that! :)

(if potato starch is giving you hypos then it must have too much carb - so they haven't actually transformed enough of the potato starch into resistent starch. thanks for telling us your results. I definitely won't try it after hearing your experience! )
Thanks a lot for u r kind reply
I will up calories and report again

alliebee

@Brunnaria. You have done so well highlighting this. I talked to an endo friend of mine last night and he told me it is massively undiagnosed. Well done for this thread...keep bumping it up

Reactions: 5 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Hey guys, I noticed this thread has been bumped up. Don't worry, I've not forgotten about this. Just very swamped with updating and readying things for the next forum update. This is still on my list of things to address and won't be forgotten about :)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys, I noticed this thread has been bumped up. Don't worry, I've not forgotten about this. Just very swamped with updating and readying things for the next forum update. This is still on my list of things to address and won't be forgotten about :)

You're a star.

Thank you!

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I have ben referred to this thread by Brunneria and having read through the info and posts I would like to share my symptoms/history with you to see if you think what I think!

Firstly I have not heard of RH before, however a number of things are falling into place in my mind having read this thread!

As a young man I was very active and like a "racing snake" I would often experience what my father called "Hunger Knock" I cant remember at what point in the day or whether it followed high carb meals but none the less this was a regular part of my life which I thought nothing of until now. It is now obvious that I was experiencing the symptoms of low blood sugar which I now understand, only because of the Knowledge I gained from being a T2. I would treat this "hunger knock" with more high value foods to get a quick fix to the problem and still do!

As I am now back to my early slim form but with the added burden of the T2 diagnosis?? I have also noticed recently cravings for sugary foods again and the recurrence of these Pseudo Hypos (with symptoms) which for me start at just below 4%.

An interesting and possibly linked occurrence happened to me a few months before my T2 diagnosis, I had Lymes disease from a deer tick bite which went undiagnosed for months, (can cause organ damage) which saw me on the same antibiotics they give you for Syphilis (very strong|) for three months!

8 weeks later I have a HbA1c test because I am always tired and surprise surprise I am diagnosed T2 with an initial HbA1c of 14%

I am interested in science and read New Scientist, I have read an article every two weeks on the link between gut biota and Chronic illnesses like Diabetes hence the mention of the antibiotics.

Did I get caught in a perfect storm of historic HR leading to pre-diabetes which then got triggered by the Lymes disease helped along with the antibiotics killing off all my good gut flora?

Also the link to dietary fibre supplementation is interesting, has anyone tried this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this:) I hope some of you can offer some advice and guidance.

All the best.

G

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Really glad you've found this useful!
Isn't it great when things start to fall into place?

I really can't make any comment about the Lymes disease, because I just don't have any knowledge, but, my goodness, the coincidence is just too much, isn't it?
I've seen that info about gut bacteria, and thought that while it is promising, they need to do more research, in humans, but... Definitely worth watching.

Sounds like live yogurt and probiotics might help you. Definitely worth a try.

In the meantime, you may find your hypos are helped by low carbing. Especially if you are craving carbs.

I realise that there are a lot of type 2 diabetics who don't experience the cravings, and who often think they are figments of the imagination, or just lack of willpower. But if you've experienced them, then you know they are real.

How many carbs do you eat at the moment?

My personal view, after having RH and now type 2, is that you just have to cut the carbs down to the point that the cravings disappear and your BG stops hopping about like a pea on a drum. It's the only way I've found that works. And if that means low carb high fat eating, then so be it. The benefits are marvellous, and worth any inconvenience of dropping a few carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Really glad you've found this useful!
Isn't it great when things start to fall into place?

I really can't make any comment about the Lymes disease, because I just don't have any knowledge, but, my goodness, the coincidence is just too much, isn't it?
I've seen that info about gut bacteria, and thought that while it is promising, they need to do more research, in humans, but... Definitely worth watching.

Sounds like live yogurt and probiotics might help you. Definitely worth a try.

In the meantime, you may find your hypos are helped by low carbing. Especially if you are craving carbs.

I realise that there are a lot of type 2 diabetics who don't experience the cravings, and who often think they are figments of the imagination, or just lack of willpower. But if you've experienced them, then you know they are real.

How many carbs do you eat at the moment?

My personal view, after having RH and now type 2, is that you just have to cut the carbs down to the point that the cravings disappear and your BG stops hopping about like a pea on a drum. It's the only way I've found that works. And if that means low carb high fat eating, then so be it. The benefits are marvellous, and worth any inconvenience of dropping a few carbs.
Brunneria,
Thank you sooooooo much for your recent help and guiding me to these pages, I would not have found them without your help! after 2years of insane excercise and worry i feel like I am finally beginning to understand my condition!

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria,
Thank you sooooooo much for your recent help and guiding me to these pages, I would not have found them without your help! after 2years of insane excercise and worry i feel like I am finally beginning to understand my condition!
sorry you asked about carb intake! I guess its "normal" but low GI with the odd naughty treat!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria,

I'm delighted we can help.

I think RH is terribly under diagnosed, and is far more widespread than most of us imagine. Maybe not usually as bad as nosher has, but enough that, over time, it really affects quality of life - weight gain, carb cravings, loss of energy, and maybe, one day, type 2 diabetes.

I mentioned low carb high fat eating in an earlier post. Have you come across it before?
If not, have a look at this link.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
I tried low carbing for years, and while it helped a great deal, I never felt well - until I added in enough fat. Then, suddenly, I got better. :)
I don't usually recommend it to newcomers to the forum, because it looks a bit hardcore at first. But if you belong to the United Brotherhood & Sisterhood of RH, then you are a special case ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
sorry you asked about carb intake! I guess its "normal" but low GI with the odd naughty treat!
Am I on the right thread now?
You are a great resource @Brunneria.
What you consider normal and the odd treat is probably the problem.
I eat a lot of high fat yoghurt to supplement low carbing. With a couple of strawberries and lidl 85% choc is my treat!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Most RH sufferers are caused by trauma, disease or by surgery, so I would believe that lyles disease could have by the starting point.
If you get diagnosed for RH, you may NOT have diabetes!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I on the right thread now?
You are a great resource @Brunneria.
What you consider normal and the odd treat is probably the problem.
I eat a lot of high fat yoghurt to supplement low carbing. With a couple of strawberries and lidl 85% choc is my treat!

Aww shucks!

Thanks noshy

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again,
I will try and get a grip of my carbs and go LCHF thanks for the links to other threads peeps, I will report back on progress in the not too distant and Lurk around the Forum in the meantime. I have a half ironman triathlon booked for june next year so need to get my body into LCHF mode before then! I beleive there are quite a few athletes on this diet it just takes some adjustment.

Thank you ❤️

G

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most RH sufferers are caused by trauma, disease or by surgery, so I would believe that lyles disease could have by the starting point.
If you get diagnosed for RH, you may NOT have diabetes!!
Nosher thanks! Any idea how I diagnosed?