Please can we have a forum section on reactive hypoglycaemia?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to admit that because of low carbing I have more energy than I had twenty years ago. If you are running that far you will have to plan and build up to the time you are due to compete. Remember that water is the only guaranteed drink that actually hydrates and rehydrates your body! The rest will spike you. Be very careful before you take part!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a whole section of the forum on exercise, and there's some fantastic info there on running and sport when keto adapted on LCHF (effect on stamina, lack of carb loading, lack of hitting 'the wall')

It would be worth trawling through the older threads, because we used to have a long distance runner called @borofergie who made great posts based on his experiences when training for races.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher thanks! Any idea how I diagnosed?
You will be referred to an endocrinologist. He will give you tests.
Probably an oral glucose test. That tests your BSLs after a liquid glucose solution. To see what happens every half hour. For up to 4 hours. Then depending on the outcome more tests. These are to eliminate other possibilities such as pancreitis and such. But if you are RH, depending on how much insulin you flush will depend on the meds etc. if you are taking metformin. I would stop now as it has an effect on your BSLs!
Keep asking. Any other symptoms? There are many that you haven't realised!

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will be referred to an endocrinologist. He will give you tests.
Probably an oral glucose test. That tests your BSLs after a liquid glucose solution. To see what happens every half hour. For up to 4 hours. Then depending on the outcome more tests. These are to eliminate other possibilities such as pancreitis and such. But if you are RH, depending on how much insulin you flush will depend on the meds etc. if you are taking metformin. I would stop now as it has an effect on your BSLs!
Keep asking. Any other symptoms? There are many that you haven't realised!
Again thanks Nosher! Its difficult to think of other symptoms as they are probably quite subtle and I am used to thinking they are normal? Also my fitness maybe masking some of the effects? I guess I need to google it and see if anything triggers recognition! But first I will get down to the GP and see if I can convince her to put me under an Endo!

Monty010467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a whole section of the forum on exercise, and there's some fantastic info there on running and sport when keto adapted on LCHF (effect on stamina, lack of carb loading, lack of hitting 'the wall')

It would be worth trawling through the older threads, because we used to have a long distance runner called @borofergie who made great posts based on his experiences when training for races.
thanks Brunn I will check that out when I get to the point I need it!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just reading the symptoms. Now my whole life makes sense. I always had problems with getting weak and shaky and super hungry, which I now recognise as a hypo (I'm type 1). I have wondered if somehow my pancreas knackered itself out my overproducing. Maybe it knew it was under attack from antibodies and would go into overdrive.

docs don't know what causes type 1, but they didnt ask any questions or research to collate info!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just reading the symptoms. Now my whole life makes sense. I always had problems with getting weak and shaky and super hungry, which I now recognise as a hypo (I'm type 1). I have wondered if somehow my pancreas knackered itself out my overproducing. Maybe it knew it was under attack from antibodies and would go into overdrive.

docs don't know what causes type 1, but they didnt ask any questions or research to collate info!

Thank you!
:D
It really makes this thread worthwhile to see a post like this.

Can you do a me a favour? If you see other people struggling with RH type symptoms, can you direct them to this thread? I think so much of the problem is that most people have never heard of it, and have been told the symptoms are 'all in their head' for so long that they actually give up trying to find a solution.

Reactions: 6 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!

Can you do a me a favour? If you see other people struggling with RH type symptoms, can you direct them to this thread? I think so much of the problem is that most people have never heard of it, and have been told the symptoms are 'all in their head' for so long that they actually give up trying to find a solution.
My dad and my brother both have these symptoms too, so now I wonder if they could be at risk of diabeties. I will ask them to get checked out

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading this thread makes me wonder if I had RH a few years ago which has led to me becoming diabetic. I used to have cereals for breakfast and started to eat Crunchy Nut Cornflakes when they first came out however I found that within a couple of hours I felt shaky and 'spaced out' and needing a 'sugar hit'. When I mentioned it to my Dr he said it was because my glucose levels dropped too quickly and it may be a hypo and suggested I had something less sweet for breakfast! I was also tested for diabetes but at that time I was OK. I also found that I needed to eat after about 3 hours to stave off the spaced out feelings despite changing my b/fast cereal. For some reason I was able to go for some time without food in the afternoons but not in the mornings.

Reactions: 3 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading this thread makes me wonder if I had RH a few years ago which has led to me becoming diabetic. I used to have cereals for breakfast and started to eat Crunchy Nut Cornflakes when they first came out however I found that within a couple of hours I felt shaky and 'spaced out' and needing a 'sugar hit'. When I mentioned it to my Dr he said it was because my glucose levels dropped too quickly and it may be a hypo and suggested I had something less sweet for breakfast! I was also tested for diabetes but at that time I was OK. I also found that I needed to eat after about 3 hours to stave off the spaced out feelings despite changing my b/fast cereal. For some reason I was able to go for some time without food in the afternoons but not in the mornings.
Yep! Cereal was exactly the same for me too! How strange!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Classic symptoms.
Welcome to the RH club.
I would like to claim it is an exclusive membership, but I'm afraid I would be VERY wrong.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you stay away from hypers, you stay away from hypos.
In hospital i never went above 4.5 for the whole 72 hrs fasting test.
So instead of treating a hypo (if I get one) then a cuppa and a some yoghurt and a couple of berries would see me ok, then I fast keeping an eye out for symptoms such as a small headache behind the eyes or shaking and bluriness.
@Brunneria helped me so much when it was first suggested I had RH.
Since diagnosis and thanks to my meds I am feeling great! And I am in control.

ladygti

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you!

Hi I'm going you's from a thread I had started and Brunneria said to jump over to this one I'm awaiting hospital referral for testing after having tests through my doctor and was given a blood glucose reader to test at the point in times I had symptoms and the doctor having seen this said I need urgently referred to endocrinology. The lowest reading I got was 2.1 at 3.25am the other night - I got up had a glass of fruit juice and x2 wholemeal toast - half an hour later it was 9.1 then at 7.30am it had dropped back to 3.3. Out of curiously what seems to be the treatment for this if it is reactive hypoglycemia -I see a lot of talk about a low carb diet but is that the only treatment of do they give medication? I'm just wondering I've for the fear about it all to be honest! Any advice be much appreciated!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It all depends what form of RH you have. I have Late RH. Which is very rare, because it developed natrually.
I am on sitagliptin to help lower my glucagon levels.
If you read Wikipedia there is a good run down of the condition.
You will have to eat smaller meals more often and test, test, test to see how foods affect you
It is mainly dietary and a change in what you eat & drink.
Control is the key. You have to keep your BSLs between 4 & 6 mmol a to stop the 'reaction'
I have successfully done this, and I feel better and healthier.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm going you's from a thread I had started and Brunneria said to jump over to this one I'm awaiting hospital referral for testing after having tests through my doctor and was given a blood glucose reader to test at the point in times I had symptoms and the doctor having seen this said I need urgently referred to endocrinology. The lowest reading I got was 2.1 at 3.25am the other night - I got up had a glass of fruit juice and x2 wholemeal toast - half an hour later it was 9.1 then at 7.30am it had dropped back to 3.3. Out of curiously what seems to be the treatment for this if it is reactive hypoglycemia -I see a lot of talk about a low carb diet but is that the only treatment of do they give medication? I'm just wondering I've for the fear about it all to be honest! Any advice be much appreciated!

Hi love,
Your fear is totally understandable!
I have an almost phobia of the lows. They are so unpleasant, and make you feel so helpless.
But it is a fantastic sense of relief when you find ways to stop them.
Like getting your life back.

Treatment depends on the severity and cause of your RH.
I was always able to keep things under control if I stayed on a low carb diet (which I didn't, all the time, because I didn't really know what I was doing back then)
Others, like @nosher8355 are on medication, but I've no idea what the meds are... Maybe he can explain.
But I know that he relies heavily on diet too - it really is key.

Have you found the low carb section of the forum? Have a read. The trick is to avoid any foods that raise your blood glucose quickly (like bread, rice, pasta, sugar, fruit juice, sweet fruit, sweet drinks, potatoes) and replace them with slower release foods like non-root veg, berries, cold meats, cheese, nuts, cream and butter and oils.

Next time you go to bed, have a small snack (nuts, cheese, cold meat, no carbs) before bed.
It will dramatically reduce the odds of your 3am hypo.

And regular small snacks of these slow release foods, through the day, will also stop the hypos from developing.

My danger points were about 3 hrs after breakfast, and 3 hrs after lunch.
When I switched to bacon and egg breakfasts, and a mid afternoon nut snack, they virtually disappeared! :)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The meds are to help keep glucagon production in check by releasing more insulin.

@Brunneria is right about small snacks through the day and before bed.
Low carb meals and it is difficult but worth it. Just to get rid of the horrible symptoms.

My meal plan today is
Breakfast bacon & eggs with tomato & salad.
Mid morn one piece Burgen toast with a sliver of black currant jam
Lunch ham sAlad with spinach tomato etc
Mid after small apple
Tea. Chicken curry
Supper. Full fat yoghurt, 85% choc and a couple of strawberries

That's not bad is it? And i stay in control as none of that spikes me, so no hypos!!

Reactions: 4 people

ladygti

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi love,
Your fear is totally understandable!
I have an almost phobia of the lows. They are so unpleasant, and make you feel so helpless.
But it is a fantastic sense of relief when you find ways to stop them.
Like getting your life back.

Treatment depends on the severity and cause of your RH.
I was always able to keep things under control if I stayed on a low carb diet (which I didn't, all the time, because I didn't really know what I was doing back then)
Others, like @nosher8355 are on medication, but I've no idea what the meds are... Maybe he can explain.
But I know that he relies heavily on diet too - it really is key.

Have you found the low carb section of the forum? Have a read. The trick is to avoid any foods that raise your blood glucose quickly (like bread, rice, pasta, sugar, fruit juice, sweet fruit, sweet drinks, potatoes) and replace them with slower release foods like non-root veg, berries, cold meats, cheese, nuts, cream and butter and oils.

Next time you go to bed, have a small snack (nuts, cheese, cold meat, no carbs) before bed.
It will dramatically reduce the odds of your 3am hypo.

And regular small snacks of these slow release foods, through the day, will also stop the hypos from developing.

My danger points were about 3 hrs after breakfast, and 3 hrs after lunch.
When I switched to bacon and egg breakfasts, and a mid afternoon nut snack, they virtually disappeared! :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for replying guys! Yeah it's the the fear of it and feeling so horrendous. I suppose if in honest I'm 30yr old single girl and thinking I'm not going to be able to go out and end up sitting in the house on my own! My friends are big party people not every week but when they do they don't do a half job and not going to be able to go out and I'm lonely enough as it is! Sport and exercise wise I've been avoiding cos every time I do I hypo after as well. Even leaving work at lunchtime I worry and think about it cos happened at lunchtime out on my own and panicked. I don't want it to make me a recluse! I'm prob over thinking and over worrying about all of this but I'm a worrier anyway as it is! I will do the snacks and before bed snack too and read up on the medication I'm probably over worrying but finding it hard not to!