Please can we have a forum section on reactive hypoglycaemia?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thanks for replying guys! Yeah it's the the fear of it and feeling so horrendous. I suppose if in honest I'm 30yr old single girl and thinking I'm not going to be able to go out and end up sitting in the house on my own! My friends are big party people not every week but when they do they don't do a half job and not going to be able to go out and I'm lonely enough as it is! Sport and exercise wise I've been avoiding cos every time I do I hypo after as well. Even leaving work at lunchtime I worry and think about it cos happened at lunchtime out on my own and panicked. I don't want it to make me a recluse! I'm prob over thinking and over worrying about all of this but I'm a worrier anyway as it is! I will do the snacks and before bed snack too and read up on the medication I'm probably over worrying but finding it hard not to!

Sending my VERY best from downunder to you :) Appreciate what you're going thru and wishing you well.. Take care. My best

Mike :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for replying guys! Yeah it's the the fear of it and feeling so horrendous. I suppose if in honest I'm 30yr old single girl and thinking I'm not going to be able to go out and end up sitting in the house on my own! My friends are big party people not every week but when they do they don't do a half job and not going to be able to go out and I'm lonely enough as it is! Sport and exercise wise I've been avoiding cos every time I do I hypo after as well. Even leaving work at lunchtime I worry and think about it cos happened at lunchtime out on my own and panicked. I don't want it to make me a recluse! I'm prob over thinking and over worrying about all of this but I'm a worrier anyway as it is! I will do the snacks and before bed snack too and read up on the medication I'm probably over worrying but finding it hard not to!
Your post takes me back to before I was diagnosed when those anxiety feelings really put me in a bad place, crying, a little bit of depression etc. always hungry, angry and so on, no life as such!!
It will get better I assure you. It is the yo-yo effect of your blood glucose levels that is doing this.
Take control, don't worry about the rest, concentrate on eating small, low carb and often.. The rest will follow!
Let us know how you are doing.

Reactions: 4 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't seem to have many issues with my BS dropping too much these days since low carbing however this morning I decided to test my breakfast as I was having a different bread. I had 1 slice of seeded farmhouse (15carbs) with 2 scrambled eggs. I went bell ringing for the church service and felt a little 'jumpy' and out of sorts when I came home. I was surprised when after 2 hours it was just 5.0 as pre b/fast it ws 5.8 (I retested just to make sure). I had some nuts and a cup of coffee which seems to have sorted it but I'm wondering whether I was heading for a hypo?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anything over 4.00 is not considered to be a hypo. It was probably what is known as a false hypo. It could also be that your body is not use to low levels.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything over 4.00 is not considered to be a hypo. It was probably what is known as a false hypo. It could also be that your body is not use to low levels.
I think you're probably right as it was up to 5.3 pre lunch and I rarely go below 6.0 after eating - although I have been known to drop into the 4s some afternoons.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you're probably right as it was up to 5.3 pre lunch and I rarely go below 6.0 after eating - although I have been known to drop into the 4s some afternoons.
I have to limit myself to no spikes and that mmeans no hypos.
Anything between 4-6 .mmol is considered normal as a fasting blood or after (ish) 2 hours from eating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ladygti

Just had another thought - I think most of us have, by now, encountered the NHS dietary guidance suggesting carbs-with-everything.

And I have to warn you, even consultants treating RH have been known to suggest many small carby snacks throughout the day. You may find that is suggested to you, when you get your appointment.

Now, heaven forbid I should suggest you go against your consultant's advice! ;)
So, if you get pro-carb advice from your consultant, try it, but if it doesn't help massively, then pop back here and see if the Low Carb thing works better for you.

It does for us. :)

Reactions: 3 people

ladygti

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@ladygti

Just had another thought - I think most of us have, by now, encountered the NHS dietary guidance suggesting carbs-with-everything.

And I have to warn you, even consultants treating RH have been known to suggest many small carby snacks throughout the day. You may find that is suggested to you, when you get your appointment.

Now, heaven forbid I should suggest you go against your consultant's advice! ;)
So, if you get pro-carb advice from your consultant, try it, but if it doesn't help massively, then pop back here and see if the Low Carb thing works better for you.

It does for us. :)

Thank you! I will keep you's up to date - the low carb diet sounds like the best and most common approach! I'll let you's know how I get on!

Reactions: 3 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
@Giverny - Is there any progress on the section for RH?

Many thanks
We've had a couple of hiccups (okay, a lot of hiccups) getting the blog stuff ready, but it's all still in the working, along with many other features including the RH stuff. Hoping to have this ready as I will be in Reykjavik soon so the roll-out of any new features will be out of my hands :nailbiting:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks!

Hoping it's not to long now!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Giverny. In you need any help with remote true user testing, I'd be happy to help.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
As a T2, diet controlled, I have found this section very interesting.
I have had hypos, particularly when working or walking some 2 hours plus after meals.

In my case the solution is quite simple:
Cut down on carbs, so that my blood sugar does not spike.
And, because my stomach seems to process carbs very fast because I peak c.45mins after starting eating carbs, I get up and walk around or go for a walk/stay vertical/work for 1 hour plus immediately after a meal (whereupon my blood sugar stabilises).

My problem is, I believe, insulin hysteresis response. eg.Insulin fails to drop when blood sugar drops as it also fails to increase immediately when the blood sugar increases after eating.
Of course there could also be problems with my glycogen response but I prefer the simple explanation in lieu the necessary comprehensive blood tests.
regards
lindis

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
As a T2, diet controlled, I have found this section very interesting.
I have had hypos, particularly when working or walking some 2 hours plus after meals.

In my case the solution is quite simple:
Cut down on carbs, so that my blood sugar does not spike.
And, because my stomach seems to process carbs very fast because I peak c.45mins after starting eating carbs, I get up and walk around or go for a walk/stay vertical/work for 1 hour plus immediately after a meal (whereupon my blood sugar stabilises).

My problem is, I believe, insulin hysteresis response. eg.Insulin fails to drop when blood sugar drops as it also fails to increase immediately when the blood sugar increases after eating.
Of course there could also be problems with my glycogen response but I prefer the simple explanation in lieu the necessary comprehensive blood tests.
regards
lindis
Yes there are many accounts of T2s who do go hypo after exercise but gradually it returns without any food or drink return to normal readings.
Reactive hypoglycaemics keep going hypo. Unless they eat or drink. But they have to be careful in case too much insulin/ glucagon is flushed into the bloodstream.
You are correct in your post about your quicker metabolising carbs and the effect thereafter. That happens to me but the spike is higher and the drop is more rapid than normal, hence, because too much glucagon production makes me hypo.
That's why my condition is called Late RH. Because the spike lasts over two hours and then drops past three to four hours.
The need for low carb every two to three hours is therefore essential and control is even more crucial.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria There is a interesting TV programme tonight when hypoglycemia gets involved not to sure what it is all about,however might be interesting:
Today on BBC1 London from 8:30pm to 9:00pm
BBC1 London

Panorama investigates whether an innocent man is in prison wrongly convicted as a serial killer. Scots nurse Colin Norris, dubbed the Angel of Death, is serving a minimum of 30 years in prison for the murder of four elderly patients and the attempted murder of a fifth. It was a case that captivated the nation. Reporter Mark Daly reveals new evidence that casts serious doubt on his convictions, and could pave the way for him to be set free. Drawing on new scientific research the programme critically examines the main components of the case against Norris, and asks whether the alleged victims actually died from natural causes. Is this the first case in British history of a wrongfully convicted serial killer?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria There is a interesting TV programme tonight when hypoglycemia gets involved not to sure what it is all about,however might be interesting:
Today on BBC1 London from 8:30pm to 9:00pm
BBC1 London

Panorama investigates whether an innocent man is in prison wrongly convicted as a serial killer. Scots nurse Colin Norris, dubbed the Angel of Death, is serving a minimum of 30 years in prison for the murder of four elderly patients and the attempted murder of a fifth. It was a case that captivated the nation. Reporter Mark Daly reveals new evidence that casts serious doubt on his convictions, and could pave the way for him to be set free. Drawing on new scientific research the programme critically examines the main components of the case against Norris, and asks whether the alleged victims actually died from natural causes. Is this the first case in British history of a wrongfully convicted serial killer?

Thanks - I'll take a peep! :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can someone give us a run down as my phone is struggling to get on the Beeb website. And I'm wAtching something else with the grandkids!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very brief rundown of programme:

Nurse was arrested for murdering a patient, then convicted and imprisoned. Method of killing, injecting insulin and causing massive hypo.

The tv programme was presenting new evidence suggesting that patient (apologies, I can't remember the names). There are tests which could have established whether patient was actually suffering from a rare autoimmune version of hypoglycaemia. The tests were not conducted at the time. The argument is that the amount of insulin found in the patient was so great, it would have been nearly impossible to administer by injection - so convicted murderer would be very unlikely to be able to have done it.

Where this leaves the other three people considered to have been murdered by the same person, I have no idea.

It was very much a re-presentation of the evidence, rather than a study of hypoglycaemia.

Thank you @izzzi , I would never have seen it without your alert.
I hope the truth comes out, for the convicted person, and the families of the victim - whatever the truth is.