Type 2 Please help: Confused about my diagnosis

Chalva

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all - I am new here. I’d like some advice, please. I am a male 41, decently built, 174 cm height. For the past 20 years or so I maintained a body weight of around 73/75kg by weight training(3-4 days a week) and running, 5 a side football, kickboxing etc.

Family (Indian):
  • Younger brother was diagnosed with t2 4 years ago
  • Maternal uncle t2
  • Maternal aunts all t2
  • Mom not diabetic
  • Dad died at 43(cancer) but was not diabetic
  • Grand dad/mom was not diabetic (both sides)

Since the pandemic my cardio workouts completely stopped (but still weight training) and sitting and eating more coz of wfh, and increased my weight to about 84kg(about 9kg). So, since start of this year I was feeling very lethargic and some jock itches(which I still sometimes have). So I did a home blood test using a meter and my fasting and 90/120mins post bgs were like 5.7/6.4, 5.9/4.8, 6.0/5.x etc (not sure of the order of days). I got panicked with my fasting sugars as it needs to be under 5.5 when I read. So I immediately called my gp office and asked for and appointment - they told it’s not emergency and told can give only after a month as they are busy with COVID. So I immediately started low carb(not too crazy but like 80 gm carbs a day) and decent protein(1gm/lbs) as I don’t want to lose my muscle mass. Also started doing HIIT cardio twice a week with some walking too. But about 2-3 weeks later I got fed up with my gp and did a full blood test from a private clinic. My results came back all normal with a hba1c of 36.9 mmol/mol. My triglycerides and cholesterol were all good too, I was confused.

So I had bupa private health checkup from work which I luckily got the next week. I did that and hba1c came back 35. I told my doc about all these and she told I am good just because you dieted for 2 -3 weeks your hba1c won’t decrease that low as it’s 3-4 months average. She told me keep what I am doing and my risk of developing t2 in the next 10 years is just 4%.

I was not convinced so after a week I did a home OGTT test. I ordered the Rapilose Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) Solution online and I went full carb for three days prior(150gm carb) as per the instructions.

So on the day of the test after fasting these were my readings:

• Fasting bg: 4.8 mmol
  • Took the ogtt solution (tasted horrible) in less than a min. I couldn’t take after 30 mins as I was in a meeting, so too at 45, 60, 90 and 120 mins.
  • 45 mins past taking 10.4 mmol
  • 1 hour post taking : 11.3 mmol
  • 90 mins post taking: 8.1 mmol
  • 2 hours post taking: 6.3 mmol

So it was well under the 7.8 (pre diabetes level). So I don’t know, but I still feel I might be diabetic. I am still on low carb like 100gm etc and do not feel like going normal and probably would be like this for life. I have also came back to my normal weight of 75/76kg without loosing much of my muscle mass. I still Keep lifting heavy and on lift days tend to eat a bit more carbs but still under 100gm. Continue doing HIIT too twice a week mainly kickboxing.

Question
What does all this conclude to? Could I be diabetic but misdiagnosed? Or Am I paranoid? What else can I do?

Thanks in advance and this form have been so helpful!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps. although you are not diabetic, you are physically not suited to be a carb eater, and do not do well on a high carb diet.
Many people follow the Atkins way of eating because they feel so well doing so.
The carb level of 90 gm a day is one specifically mentioned in 'New Diet Revolution' as being suitable for those with a high activity level.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chalva, it sounds like you're doing pretty well to me and clearly you are not on a 'high carb diet' at the moment, you are nearer a low carb diet, around 130 carbs or so. Don't be worried into thinking you are diabetic, you are not. Having said that, if it runs in the family albeit on your Aunts & Uncle's sides, then it may be wise for you to at least take care as to how many carbs you consume, for example a person could give up what I call the garbage carbs (sweets/cakes etc) if they have them, and maybe reduce others (pasta/bread/rice/cereals), and focus on the more nutritional ones, (veg, maybe some types of fruit). Even a non diabetic can have a carb intolerance. You may find that some of the comments you get are 'Go very low carb' etc as if you were diabetic and of course it's up to you. Don't be frightened into doing it though, it sounds to me like you are doing just fine. You are aware of carbs, you appreciate a healthy way of living but you do need to make sure you don't become too paranoid. x

Reactions: Chalva

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chalva , and welcome to the forum!

What does all this conclude to? Could I be diabetic but misdiagnosed?
No, you're not diabetic, your doctor was right.

However, with your family history and your heritage it's not a bad thing at all to periodically keep an eye on it :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I agree with Resurgam. I suspect that adding on 9kg in weight is making you feel uncomfortable and that that gain alone will be having a physiological impact. I can understand your concerns about diabetes given your family history but you are not currently diabetic. A lower carbohydrate diet will almost certainly help you return to your fighting weight!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem determined to be diagnosed as diabetic although there is nothing in your story that supports it. I doubt that your GP, private tests, fasting test and OGTT have all been wrong. Sorry, but you are healthy.

Eating lower carb is something many people would benefit from and sugary drinks should not be taken at all. Professor Lustig said that the highest incidence of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease occurs in Saudi Arabia where it is hot and the water is doubtful so people drink lots of fizzy drink.

Chalva

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all. It’s so refreshing to read your assurances. But I think I am going to carry on doing low carb diet(moderate). I think diabetes is just around the corner, I could perhaps delay it going this way. After last few months I don’t feel like eating refined carbs at all. This forum has been tremendously helpful. First thing I bought was a kitchen scale and paid membership to the LoseIt app. Also read the diabetes code, which was a very interesting read!

One other thing is, I am really sad that a lot of people back in India don’t really know about diabetes and the doctors back there are just is about making money. Most of them, my brother for eg are carrying on eating high carb diet. They are told to just exercise, metformin and avoid sugars. Which is a load of ********!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are told to just exercise, metformin and avoid sugars

That's not bad advice as such but they just need to explain what constitutes 'sugars', and as we all know it's carbs. I think half the problem is that it's always referred to as 'blood sugars' or 'sugar levels' leaving people thinking it's the white stuff careering through your veins and thinking that as long as you are not spooning sugar in its purest form into your mouth, then you're ok! It would be quite simple to explain what GLUCOSE levels actually are and how ALL carbs affect it right from the so called virtuous apple to the cream cake.