Possible Hypos?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you actually eating enough?

I'm not on about any specifics towards carbs, fats, protein.
I just mean calories in and calories out?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that with eating so few gm of carbs as you are, you are rather pushing the boundaries. On a weight loss version of low carb you'd be eating rather more carbs, possibly twice as much if you are losing weight.
For me, the whole reason for doing Atkins is because there are so few negatives, I feel great all the time, and although a few odd things happen when I go off track - like getting a reading of over 10 today after rushing off to the diabetes education session without having anything to eat - an enthusiastic liver, I assume, so I get better results when I eat than when I don't.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It sounds to me as if you need to really look at the qty of food you are eating and add up the mg of vitamins and minerals you are getting.
I think you will find that you are short in vital ones... and this could be contributing to the way you feel at times.

From the food you have listed I am thinking that you are showing under nourishment in some vital minerals and vitamins..

M

ME_Valentijn

I get false hypos at 4.8 and lower. Very weak and shaky, and it just gets worse if I don't eat. It takes me at least an hour to recover after I eat some carbs, but that's probably complicated by having ME/CFS and my cells being ****** at taking up energy in general.

I aim to keep my blood sugar from going under 5, until it gets sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghost_whistler

It sounds to me as if you need to really look at the qty of food you are eating and add up the mg of vitamins and minerals you are getting.
I think you will find that you are short in vital ones... and this could be contributing to the way you feel at times.

From the food you have listed I am thinking that you are showing under nourishment in some vital minerals and vitamins..
Such as what? I do supplement on lchf, though I just ran out yesterday.

ghost_whistler

I think that with eating so few gm of carbs as you are, you are rather pushing the boundaries. On a weight loss version of low carb you'd be eating rather more carbs, possibly twice as much if you are losing weight.
For me, the whole reason for doing Atkins is because there are so few negatives, I feel great all the time, and although a few odd things happen when I go off track - like getting a reading of over 10 today after rushing off to the diabetes education session without having anything to eat - an enthusiastic liver, I assume, so I get better results when I eat than when I don't.
Wait, now I'm confused; isn't this the low carb forum? I'm trying the lchf diet which is no more than 20g carbs/day.

I also think I'm getting enough calories. I calculated 120g protein and 140g fat which comes to just over 1700. That doesn't seem low

ghost_whistler

Ok this is getting problematic now, my waking BG is 4.4 and I'm definitely feeling a little shakier than normal. Is this a low carb thing?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But I'm feeling shakier than normal, and this hasn't happened before eating like this.

It's never been that low before.

Seriously - Google it yourself. The normal non-diabetic fasting level is 4-6, preferably 5.6 max as the lower end of that range is preferably.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then why do i feel shaky?

There could be a number of reasons - simply having just got up being one of them.

I felt shaky this morning and did my blood test: 6.1. My conclusion is I just had a bad night and need to eat and drink.

If you'd read the info on Postprandial hypotension, you'd see that it can be connected to low blood pressure on waking. I am NOT saying you have this, but it would be something you could ask your doctor about.

I fully believe you're having these unpleasant physical symptoms, but focussing on them having to be hypoglycaemia when there's no evidence for that is illogical. You need to find the actual cause, with the help of your doctor.

ghost_whistler

There could be a number of reasons - simply having just got up being one of them.

I felt shaky this morning and did my blood test: 6.1. My conclusion is I just had a bad night and need to eat and drink.

If you'd read the info on Postprandial hypotension, you'd see that it can be connected to low blood pressure on waking. I am NOT saying you have this, but it would be something you could ask your doctor about.

I fully believe you're having these unpleasant physical symptoms, but focussing on them having to be hypoglycaemia when there's no evidence for that is illogical. You need to find the actual cause, with the help of your doctor.
I did read it, I appreciate the advice. I'm not trying to be ungrateful I just really struggle with this.

I'll have to see if i can get an appointment with my gp tomorrow or thursday depending when they are available. It doesn't help that the way my surgery is run is not good. It's taken them a month just to get that letter to the endocrinologist off! Is a hypotension test something taht can be done at the surgery? I guess I'd have to briung a packed lunch

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really wish my body would hurry up and adapt to fats so i don't have to live like this anymore. I hate it

Please don't be put off going to the doctor. Choose a patient one who's willing to listen, then take along a few examples of when you had this feeling and that your blood sugar was ok. Don't mention your change of diet for now as that might distract them and give them an easy answer. Just give them the facts, ask about postural hypotension, ask if they can rule it out, and ask if they have any other ideas of what might be causing this.

ghost_whistler

What other conditions could it be? It's not per se dizziness that's a symptom. More a sort of shaky, heart beat increase, butterfly in the stomach sort of thing. Hard to explain

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Such as what? I do supplement on lchf, though I just ran out yesterday.

Without analysing your whole food and diet and grams its impossible to say.

You need to make sure you have enough iron to stave off anaemia and low white cell levels..

Only you can work out your nutrition values... for me, I cannot take a multi vitamin as it would overdose me on certain vitamins..

I really think you need to look at your essential vitamin intake.. A-K and minerals such as iron and calcium.. as much as you may be under,, you may be over on others.

It only my opinion..

C

catherinecherub

Hi @ghost_whistler,

I note that in another thread you have said that you suffer from anxiety, which can be devastating and it can spill over into your physical health. This will make you worry about any perceived changes, however small, that you notice.
These are symptoms of anxiety, including diziness,

****Although symptoms are unpleasant they will not harm us.

Listed below are some of the more common symptoms.

• Unshakable feelings of dread, apprehension, and irrational fears
  • Heart palpitations
  • Difficulty breathing or Hyperventilating
  • Dizziness and feeling faint
  • Chest pains and other symptoms similar to those of a heart attack
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Insomnia
  • Chills and perhaps hot flashes
  • Dry mouth
  • Sense of impending doom
  • Stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea and other intestinal symptoms
  • Clamminess
  • Muscle tension, aches and pains
  • Exhaustion
  • Pins and needles
  • Irritability
  • Excessive sweating
  • Dry mouth
http://www.nopanic.org.uk/anxiety-symptoms-explained/

I suggest you go and see your G.P. and take a list of any health symptoms that are worrying you so that he can rule out any physical cause.
Anxiety can be treated successfully and your G.P. can arrange for help.