Post your annoyances to vent!

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was only diagnosed in July but I'm already realizing we all have that one person (or more) who fancies themselves an expert and insists on doling out unsolicited "advice" and opinions that are often wrong despite them not being diabetic. :banghead:
There is no way I'm letting anyone other than my partner and a few close friends know. I'm not going to have people silently scrutinise everything I eat.

Reactions: neithskye

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find this happens a lot in the Jokes and Humour section, some members can post suggestive jokes and humour but mine get edited / deleted etc.

I think it is a anti colonial thing, suggestive of me being an uncouth Australian. :meh:

I know what you mean - even (;)) we Kiwis get it too. I had a half Brit half Swedish boss once (don't get me started on that particular combo!), and she told me off for writing bl****, citing it as a swear word. I told her it was not considered a swear word in the Kiwi-Aus part of the world. Just normal speech, which it is for us as you know. That did not go down well. (I HATE being told off for things that I did not do.)

It took me ages to understand why she kept apologising for doing Murial impersonations, as in 'Murial's Wedding'! For me, as a Kiwi, I quite rightly thought it had nothing to do with me. I thought she just loved the movie. Only later did I realise she thought she was imitating my accent, quite wrongly. Ah! It's an annoying world all right!

D

Deleted member 308541

I know what you mean - even (;)) we Kiwis get it too. I had a half Brit half Swedish boss once (don't get me started on that particular combo!), and she told me off for writing bl****, citing it as a swear word.
I use plurry instead of blÖÖdy, that stuffs people up.

My partner can do a great imitation of Helen Clarke your former PM. :D

Reactions: AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Too right! Although you know, @Antje77, it wasn't the Swedish half of her that was doing the Aus impersonations, lol.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When someone at work says I’m doing a Greggs run do you want anything. Yes, yes I’d love a steak bake and a Caramel doughnut please. But will I have that - no of course not! Greggs has not a single option I can eat but thanks for offering - this is made worse by the fact that the person in my office asking me this is my husband!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When someone at work says I’m doing a Greggs run do you want anything. Yes, yes I’d love a steak bake and a Caramel doughnut please. But will I have that - no of course not! Greggs has not a single option I can eat but thanks for offering - this is made worse by the fact that the person in my office asking me this is my husband!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Tell him to get you the all-day breakfast wrap without the wrap and tomato relish, Naked Nuts, or the egg or sausage roll without the roll. That'll teach him. ;) (I know places like this will do it without blinking, but it might make him think twice before asking again!). Never been to a Gregg's as we don't have them here, but I just enjoyed going through the menu to make life hard for the hubby, haha!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When people say to me oh you don't look like a diabetic! Don't know why that irritates me so much but it does. Worst is when the nurse at the surgery says it. Sometimes if I can be bothered I will challenge it and say what does a diabetic look like Then? The answer is either 'well not like you' or 'fat'. I just tell myself to be quiet and leave them to their ignorance! Anyone have any supersmart responses I can give next time. Just find it so annoying that people comment on my size in a way they would never dream of doing if I were fat. It seems ok to say to someone you're very thin, but taboo to say you're very fat! Funny old world.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell him to get you the all-day breakfast wrap without the wrap and tomato relish, Naked Nuts, or the egg or sausage roll without the roll. That'll teach him. ;) (I know places like this will do it without blinking, but it might make him think twice before asking again!). Never been to a Gregg's as we don't have them here, but I just enjoyed going through the menu to make life hard for the hubby, haha!
Oh I’m definitely going to remember this for in future!

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How about ....." yes i was so ashamed to be a diabetic that I had very expensive and painful plastic surgery to hide it, I'm sure you you would feel the same, wouldn't you?!? "

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

He probably can't win. The other argument would be for him to assume "you can't eat anything from Greggs, so I won't ask you - ever". He's at least offering you the option, should you want it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Over here (US) we have HH Gregg, where a friend of mine bought a fridge some years ago. So reading "a Gregg run" all I could think of was "a Gregg lug"! Then I Googled "Gregg" and found out about the UK's Gregg. Sounds much more delicious than HH Gregg (which also sells ovens, so ... )

@Lally123 if someone said that to me I would want to make some retort like "Oh, so you're saying I should be sitting here shooting up right in front of you?"
But knowing me I would probably just roll my eyes at them and heave a loud sigh and just walk away ...
because I'm not good at confronting people even when confronting them might make them rethink things (In my exprience it just makes them mad). Sigh.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just sharing an email from child's school, I know they are trying to help, but it did make me giggle in a slightly annoyed way:

Left over cake - World Diabetes Day
Dear Parents,

Year 5 had a "mini" cake sale today for year 5 and 6 for World Diabetes Day. They have a lot left over so we are going to open it up to the whole school tomorrow at break time. If your child would like a cake and to donate to World Diabetes day, then please send your child in with a donation.

Kind regards

School Office

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Discovering your avocado is all brown inside and it’s the only low carb thing in the house because you haven’t been shopping yet, and all the other food is too carby :bored:
@Mel dCP was going to make some parmesan and avo crispsamd was well miffed the latter was yuk
Pod beeping during the minute’s silence... :borg:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I went to do a course assessment yesterday and was delighted to hear that they hadn't bought me any biscuits but left me with a whole box.... not just 5 of my limit of raspberries,. Now that's thoughtful temptation. Kind people but how picky I am. There are nice people who try to understand.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well since all I know about y'all's Greggs is what I've read on this thread this morning ... :D