Potassium and sodium

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just got the results of my latest blood test HbA down to 43 which is great but I noticed that my sodium level and potassium level is on the low side can anyone suggest high potassium low carb foods .I can extra salt I would like to be a bit higher .Thanks
Carol

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I have just got the results of my latest blood test HbA down to 43 which is great but I noticed that my sodium level and potassium level is on the low side can anyone suggest high potassium low carb foods .I can extra salt I would like to be a bit higher .Thanks
Carol

I can recommend using Himalayan salt. It’s a little more expensive but comes with a built in range of minerals.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuna, cod, cucumber, courgette, avocados, nuts and peas - though they are higher in carbs.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies I do use Himalayan salt so I will increase my intake and apart from the peas I eat all of these so again it is just upping them
Carol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on a water tablet or other medication that increases excretion? My BP med does this for sodium but not potassium. Dapagliflozin also increases fluid loss so may affect these salts too.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just metformin now and I take B12 and CoEnzyme Q 10 and cod liver oil supplements .Thanks for your suggestion
Carol

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can recommend using Himalayan salt. It’s a little more expensive but comes with a built in range of minerals.
Himalayan salt, like ordinary table salt, is 98% sodium chloride so although it may contain a range of minerals they only make up 2% in total so not a good source of potassium. Lo-Salt might be the answer as it is 66% potassium chloride and 33% sodium chloride.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Bone broth (or stock cubes) are one option when you go low carbohydrate.
It is advised that if you are going very low carbohydrate you may excrete more salt and so have to take more in.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I use lo-salt for food flavouring specifically for this purpose, as the ratio of potassium to sodium is favourable. Edited, just saw @Mr_Pot made this point earlier.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone I use vegetable stock cubes and marmite for seasoning ,any thoughts ?
Carol

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Banana is a definite no no for my BGs
Carol

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Salt lite sodium/ potassium mix. Avocados are high in potassium

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't eat (or drink ) beef products although I eat beef funny woman that I am !!!
Carol

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks everyone I use vegetable stock cubes and marmite for seasoning ,any thoughts ?
Carol

Use more? :)

If I think that I may be low on salt I have a cup of hot water with a stock cube and some added butter.
Well, I like it.:rolleyes: