Pre diabetic and hate vegetables

lainy1953

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been pre diabetic for about 5 years. I would love to lose weight and prevent diabetes but hate vegetables except sweetcorn. Any suggestions please

Reactions: Jaylee

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been pre diabetic for about 5 years. I would love to lose weight and prevent diabetes but hate vegetables except sweetcorn. Any suggestions please
Is carnivore an option for you? Basically it's eat whatever a lion would. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy... All those things are zero carb. That'd help with the prediabetes and the weight. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is more keto/LCHF oriented, maybe there's some suggestions there too that you can work with.

Good luck!
Jo
PS: Sweetcorn is rather high in carbs and for most of us, best taken in moderation if not entirely avoided.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don’t eat vegetables? There are a number of us on here who manage our diabetes by eating mostly animal based products (including meat, fish, eggs, dairy) and very limited or no vegetables. It’s perfectly possible to do this and get a full range of nutrients and vitamins, so if you don’t like vegetables, it’s an ideal way to minimise carbohydrates, which is good for your pre-diabetes.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carnivore-corner.164920/
And this one might also be helpful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/celebrating-real-foods.180425/page-15

Finally, the website https://www.dietdoctor.com/ has lots of information about suitable foods, including recipes, for managing diabetes which can be tailored to any way of eating!

And welcome!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ah, it's a myth that people with diabetes should eat 'vegetables' and all will be well. What is a typical days diet for you, we might be able to help with some adjustments if we know what you do like. x

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
For me it depends on how they’re prepared, I.e. grilled ribeye and asparagus, broccoli.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You have had lots of excellent advice and suggestions above. As for me, I also dislike most green vegetables and have never been short of anything to eat. Meat, fish, eggs (loads of them), dairy etc. I have veggies once a week with my Sunday roast, and peas sometimes during the week, but that is about it. My only exceptions are mushrooms and tomatoes, which I eat daily.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hating vegetables is a bit of a generalisation. More than 200 plant species are commonly eaten, plus there are all the ways of preparing them - how many have you tried?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hating vegetables is a bit of a generalisation. More than 200 plant species are commonly eaten, plus there are all the ways of preparing them - how many have you tried?
Mr Pot has it right- there's bound to be something for you in the vegetable kingdom! I'm wasn't what you would call a veggie fan, but broccoli, cauliflower and green runner beans have become staples for me. I like to wrap pork mince in cabbage leaves too. Fish, meat, eggs and a little bit of nice veg: I think that's a good sort of diet for us.

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vegetables are important sources of many nutrients, like potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C. Moreover vegetables are low in fat and calories. Eating diet rich in vegetables prevents you from many chronic diseases.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegetables are important sources of many nutrients, like potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C. Moreover vegetables are low in fat and calories. Eating diet rich in vegetables prevents you from many chronic diseases.
I suggest you search for threads on here which discuss this, they contain medical research and scientific studies which offer insight into the facts about vegetables being essential.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry but that's mostly nonsense..

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If this is true, then I have lived my life of 66 years without any of these vegetables, so how come I'm as fit and healthy as possible for someone who most of the decade since the turn of the new century, was so ill? I was diagnosed in 2012.
Where do I get these nutrients and I don't take any supplements or vitamins. I am also lactose intolerant.
Calories are not worth worrying about, because it doesn't seem logical that something is measured, when everyone burns calories differently. A calorie is a measurement of energy. If you have no energy, especially if you have insulin resistance and high circulating insulin levels, then how can a caloric diet be controlled?
This is very similar to the brain function issue. The main advice is to eat carbs with every meal because you need complex carbs for brain function. Why am I the opposite? And it is starchy vegetables that I am totally intolerant to them? You don't need complex or any other carbs for brain function.

Quite a few in this country are disadvantaged and are food poverty. The main source of cheap food is carbs, like cereal, bread, rice, starchy vegetables for chips and what ever they can get or afford. Meat is not cheap, but you have to know where the best bargains are and cook them properly.
You cannot beat fresh food, there is too many additives that are not good for you in the marketplace and supermarkets.
And I have found that vegetable oils are responsible for health problems and fat burgers found in the drains.
Saturated fats do NOT make you fat!
Starch, carbs, sugar, additives, and oils will cause inflammation. And that is the start of a precursor to those who are likely to get diabetes because of food.

You make the choice. I also hate vegetables, I miss my chips!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Potatoes are vegetables.

And they would have killed me because through experimenting and testing, and I was advised to have a baked spud for my midday meal. I have recorded the highest spike ever after one. From 4.2. to 17. 6

It's the starch!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

The original poster asked suggestion for food other than vegetables. A few posts are moving away from this. The merits of vegetables (or not) can be discussed in other posts should you wish to do so

Reactions: jonesmia