Prof Tim Noakes

lindisfel

Expert
Excellent, Thanks Indy.
It seems fairly conclusive increased carbs have caused obesity. Interesting topic in view of reports on UK radio today that said people are eating more calories than they claim, hence obesity problem.
Yes, they eating carbs just as nutritionists recommend which increases their desire to eat even more carbs.
regards
Derek

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Excellent, Thanks Indy.
It seems fairly conclusive increased carbs have caused obesity. Interesting topic in view of reports on UK radio today that said people are eating more calories than they claim, hence obesity problem.
Yes, they eating carbs just as nutritionists recommend which increases their desire to eat even more carbs.
regards
Derek

You've got it!!!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am of the opinion that 'not all calories are the same' simply because the digestive system deals with different nutrients in different ways. The calories are not simply burnt in a calorimeter, they have to be digested and absorbed. Different nutrients pass through the body at different rates ( carbs quickly, proteins / fats slowly) and this also impacts on hunger. So I do agree that the reason why LCHF works so well for the vast majority of people is that it suppresses hunger (or it does for most folks, certainly for me). That is why the studies comparing a LCHF diet with, for instance, the 'eat well plate' guidelines or the standard American diet, when the participants are required to eat the same number of calories in each diet misses the point.

I am really enjoying watching Tim Noakes' defence and look forward to the resolution of this ridiculous case!

lindisfel

Expert
I am of the opinion that 'not all calories are the same' simply because the digestive system deals with different nutrients in different ways. The calories are not simply burnt in a calorimeter, they have to be digested and absorbed. Different nutrients pass through the body at different rates ( carbs quickly, proteins / fats slowly) and this also impacts on hunger. So I do agree that the reason why LCHF works so well for the vast majority of people is that it suppresses hunger (or it does for most folks, certainly for me). That is why the studies comparing a LCHF diet with, for instance, the 'eat well plate' guidelines or the standard American diet, when the participants are required to eat the same number of calories in each diet misses the point.

I am really enjoying watching Tim Noakes' defence and look forward to the resolution of this ridiculous case!
Hi AtkinsMo,
After looking at Prof Noakes videos I am of the opinion that all calories are the same by definition.
The fact that we reduce our intake of refined carbs when we take in more fat is obviously due to us being more satisfied on less calories from the three food groups....we will have changed the distribution of the groups. If we could have the same number of calories with another distribution we would also loose weight but have greater BG swings if we had more carbs with T2D.
Of course it could be with more fat in our diet more undigested food gets eliminated without being 'burned'?
regards
Derek

Reactions: 2 people

Artstruc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AtkinsMo,
After looking at Prof Noakes videos I am of the opinion that all calories are the same by definition.
The fact that we reduce our intake of refined carbs when we take in more fat is obviously due to us being more satisfied on less calories from the three food groups....we will have changed the distribution of the groups. If we could have the same number of calories with another distribution we would also loose weight but have greater BG swings if we had more carbs with T2D.
Of course it could be with more fat in our diet more undigested food gets eliminated without being 'burned'?
regards
Derek
Subtracting fibre from total carbs is the basis of the glycemic index. Calories burnt in a calorimetre includes fibre which we do not digest. Soluble fibre slows fat & carb absorption & both are prebiotics for a healthy gut biome.
Our bodies evolved to crave carbs on a LCHF diet. With more carbs in our diet it is the fat & Omega 3's that get eliminated.
So glad you all like you like Tim, try The Fat Emperor, he's on your home ground, mathamation [engineer] to boot.
Also, let's get 'insulin resistance' sorted. Dr Jason Fung;
http://www.dietdoctor.com/a-new-paradigm-of-insulin-resistance

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
His comparison to the "typical" male/female in 1965 was so fascinating.....45% carbs was considered high....incredible:)

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks Indy, interesting insight into how peer review works or rather doesn't work. I suppose there is a lesson for us all to not be part of a closed minded orthodoxy unless we have an infallible source of information! :) Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Artstruc, the new model for insulin resistance is interesting.
Nb. The body cells are already full of glucose? This raises even more questions particularly if one is a reactive hypoglycemic?
regards
Derek
Subtracting fibre from total carbs is the basis of the glycemic index. Calories burnt in a calorimetre includes fibre which we do not digest. Soluble fibre slows fat & carb absorption & both are prebiotics for a healthy gut biome.
Our bodies evolved to crave carbs on a LCHF diet. With more carbs in our diet it is the fat & Omega 3's that get eliminated.
So glad you all like you like Tim, try The Fat Emperor, he's on your home ground, mathamation [engineer] to boot.
Also, let's get 'insulin resistance' sorted. Dr Jason Fung;
http://www.dietdoctor.com/a-new-paradigm-of-insulin-resistance

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much for posting these, I am finding them fascinating.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ebstein's observation in 1883 correcting the misdirection of Dr Harvey, Banting's physician about the need to control satiety as the root cause of weight control was a new contributor to my knowledge.

Very interesting, again thanks for your diligence in posting them here:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
An outstanding "episode". Whilst as a patient with Metabolic Syndrome this was the first time I was aware of Reaven and his groundbreaking contributions since the 1960s. Excellent!!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An excellent presentation, I admire Tim Noakes more and more.

lindisfel

Expert
Excellent presentations.
I hope these understandings become common knowledge throughout medicine and the big guns are spiked and fail in their attempts to bring him down.
D.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the above comments, the information that Prof Noakes is giving is priceless. What strikes me, though, is that the whole thing must be exhausting for the poor chap - the need to be vigilant and for constant and sustained concentration throughout each day, as well as any prep that he may want to do ready for the next day, - because, I am sure, that should he make the slightest error, or slip of the tongue, or forget to mention/clarify a point, then the wolves would be on him like a shot !

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yippee! Another instalment - this one on that common topic of conversation around here - Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again. Every one of these that I watch makes me think how insane they are continuing with his hearing. It is sheer lunacy.