Progress is definitely being made..

Zeddedhed

First some background:

On the 11th September my weight was 117.8kg
My daily average BG for that week was 9.2mmol/l

Now, three weeks later my weight is 114.4kg
My daily average BG for last week was 6.6mmol/l

I'm testing (probably excessively) using an Aviva Accu Chek mobile, and logging on my phone using the MySugr app.
The app reports an estimated HbA1c of 44.4 mol/mol, so that's good (but could be better)

Diet currently consists of about 100g of Roasted Smoked Almonds and Cashews which I graze on throughout the day, combined with maybe half a dozen BabyBel cheeses and three or four skinny Cabannosi sausages.

In the evening I will have a chunk of meat (usually pork or chicken) with Broccoli/cauliflower/Red Cabbage.

All washed down with copious amounts of coffee made with LactoFree milk (full fat, less than 1g carb per mug)

I'd be the first to admit it's not the most exciting diet, and right now I'd sell my daughters kitten for a bowl of Tortellini or a decent Ham and Cheese sandwich, but strangely I'm not finding it too hard to stick to.

My biggest concern is the amount of Fibre I'm eating - or not. I need to find to find a way of increasing it without sending the carbs up.

Time for some more internet scouring methinks.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
First some background:

I'm testing (probably excessively) using an Aviva Accu Chek mobile, and logging on my phone using the MySugr app.
The app reports an estimated HbA1c of 44.4 mol/mol, so that's good (but could be better)

Please remember that the HbA1C measures the averabe glycation of your red blood cells and ro is an average over around a 2 month period becuase of how long they live. Thus more recent good BG numbers will not be fully reflected in an HbA1C if one was taken right now.

Diet currently consists of about 100g of Roasted Smoked Almonds and Cashews which I graze on throughout the day, combined with maybe half a dozen BabyBel cheeses and three or four skinny Cabannosi sausages.

In the evening I will have a chunk of meat (usually pork or chicken) with Broccoli/cauliflower/Red Cabbage.

All washed down with copious amounts of coffee made with LactoFree milk (full fat, less than 1g carb per mug)

I'd be the first to admit it's not the most exciting diet, and right now I'd sell my daughters kitten for a bowl of Tortellini or a decent Ham and Cheese sandwich, but strangely I'm not finding it too hard to stick to.

My biggest concern is the amount of Fibre I'm eating - or not. I need to find to find a way of increasing it without sending the carbs up.

I hope you don't mind me commenting, but that seems a very strange diet during the day before evening (as in way of eating).
Many of us eat eggs for breakfast (or bacon, or even berries with full fat greek style yogurt (possibly with some chia seeds and nuts added). Cashew nut aren't real (tree) nuts and are one of the highest carb nuts. Almonds are also fairly high in carbs. Better to have Brazil, Walnut or macadamia nut instead.
Again may find it better to eat a full meal with no snacks rather than to graze because every time you put some carbs in your mouth you are getting both your Blood Glucose and your Insulin production going again, which is something we want to keep low for as long a period per day as possible. Indeed many of us once 'fat adapted' don't get hungry so quickly and thus only eat 1 or 2 meals per day (but good large satisfying meals).

Zeddedhed

Hi Ian,

I'd have to agree that it does indeed look a bit bizarre. I don't eat and can't stomach breakfast at 05:00, so tend not start eating until about 11:00. The total carbs in my daily nut mix never exceeds 25g. The rest of my daily grazing brings me up to about 35g, with my evening meal taking the daily total to between 50g - 60g. Not ultra low carb, but manageable.

I don't see any spikes in Blood glucose throughout the day (testing on average every 90 minutes) and after evening meal it currently rarely gets above 7.5 mmol/l.

I find that eating a proper meal tends to cause hunger later, besides which the grazing option works well with my daily routine.

I know that it wouldn't be for everyone, but having spent the last two years trying variations of LCHF eating this is the first time I've found a way that fits my lifestyle/routine and that I seem to be able to sustain (albeit for three weeks so far).

The weigh in this morning showed me down to 113.8kg, and the weight seems to be shifting on a fairly consistent and even basis.
I'm not really counting calories (probably in the 1000 - 1300 range) but nonetheless the weight is going down as my BG readings.

I've lost weight faster before (Fast 800 style) but found it difficult to stick to.

Ideally I'll keep this up until Christmas and then if I'm on target weight wise (100kg ish) then maybe look at tinkering.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ian,

I'd have to agree that it does indeed look a bit bizarre. I don't eat and can't stomach breakfast at 05:00, so tend not start eating until about 11:00. The total carbs in my daily nut mix never exceeds 25g. The rest of my daily grazing brings me up to about 35g, with my evening meal taking the daily total to between 50g - 60g. Not ultra low carb, but manageable.

I don't see any spikes in Blood glucose throughout the day (testing on average every 90 minutes) and after evening meal it currently rarely gets above 7.5 mmol/l.

I find that eating a proper meal tends to cause hunger later, besides which the grazing option works well with my daily routine.

I know that it wouldn't be for everyone, but having spent the last two years trying variations of LCHF eating this is the first time I've found a way that fits my lifestyle/routine and that I seem to be able to sustain (albeit for three weeks so far).

The weigh in this morning showed me down to 113.8kg, and the weight seems to be shifting on a fairly consistent and even basis.
I'm not really counting calories (probably in the 100 - 1300 range) but nonetheless the weight is going down as my BG readings.

I've lost weight faster before (Fast 800 style) but found it difficult to stick to.

Ideally I'll keep this up until Christmas and then if I'm on target weight wise (100kg ish) then maybe look at tinkering.

Hi there, it's not bizarre at all if it works for you of course. I eat one meal a day and I'm sure that must sound bizarre to many people. All I would say though is that you may get a bit bored in following the same regime with the same foods each day so your idea of keeping an open mind about future 'tinkering' is a good one. You seem to be doing very well so well done!

Tannith

BANNED
First some background:

My BMI is 21.3 after doing a Newcastle style low caloriediet for about 6 months - it has remained stable since then. My HBa1C is 39; FBG 4.7 : LDL 2.2; total cholesterol 3.5. I attribute these improved numbers to the Newcastle style weight loss diet. Typical day's food am. porridge; lunch chicken potatoes & veg or spag Bol; eve stewed fruit with ff yoghurt or peanut butter sandwich & banana. I think it is specially important for T2s to keep LDL down as we have a higher than normal proportion of the bad sort - vldl. I believe I have reversed my T2 with this diet.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian,

I'm not really counting calories (probably in the 1000 - 1300 range) but nonetheless the weight is going down as my BG readings.

I'd not be for grazing myself, -I know i go overboard if I do- but if it works for you, hey, more power to you. When grazing though, you might opt for lower carb nuts (pecan, walnut, brazil, macadamia), babybel cheeses (easy to take-with), or little sausages. That'll bring your bloods down lower and your weight as well, without having to alter your routine. Just an idea though. Anyway, well done and good going!

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with it, I'm still learning as I go along - Reading @ianf0ster 's comments about Almonds, may make me rethink my treat - Ground Almond Flour Muffins :) Like you, I do have an odd craving but I am NOT giving in now.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Good luck with it, I'm still learning as I go along - Reading @ianf0ster 's comments about Almonds, may make me rethink my treat - Ground Almond Flour Muffins :) Like you, I do have an odd craving but I am NOT giving in now.

Unfortunately there isn't much choice in alternatives to conventional flour from grains. Though ground coconut is another alternative, but absorbs moisture very differently so the recipes are different.

Zeddedhed

My BMI is 21.3 after doing a Newcastle style low caloriediet for about 6 months - it has remained stable since then. My HBa1C is 39; FBG 4.7 : LDL 2.2; total cholesterol 3.5. I attribute these improved numbers to the Newcastle style weight loss diet. Typical day's food am. porridge; lunch chicken potatoes & veg or spag Bol; eve stewed fruit with ff yoghurt or peanut butter sandwich & banana. I think it is specially important for T2s to keep LDL down as we have a higher than normal proportion of the bad sort - vldl. I believe I have reversed my T2 with this diet.
Is the Newcastle diet one that uses shakes and drinks, or am I confusing it with some other diet?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First some background:

That ham and cheese sandwich...these are under 4g per roll (I'm on around 20g/day total). They're OK as an occasional bread substitute although a bit expensive. I order in bulk to get free postage and then freeze them.

Zeddedhed

That ham and cheese sandwich...these are under 4g per roll (I'm on around 20g/day total). They're OK as an occasional bread substitute although a bit expensive. I order in bulk to get free postage and then freeze them.
I think you forgot the link

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Psyllium husk, chia seeds or flax seeds are my go to for added fiber. Just a little in a smoothie or shake is awesome.