Protein shakes

Doireallyneedanams

Hi All

Non diabetic here with a strong family history of type 2 - so living life as carb free as I can!

I have started weight training and have been advised to up my protein. I am quite a protein fiend but I am not taking anywhere near the recommended amount, as such I am thinking of protein shakes.

Before I go googling, can anyone recommend a decent one that is diabetic friendly and won’t taste awful?

thanks!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would eat real food to get the protein and signaling satiety. Shakes at best should be an after thought filler.

If recovering from surgery or eating disorder then shakes can be useful or if you are going into weight / bodybuilding competitions to get a small percentage gain.

It is easy to get 1 to 1.6 grams per pound of body weight of protein from meat; obviously if you are Vegan then shakes will almost certainly be required if optimising towards the higher end.

Reactions: LaoDan

Dan3001

There's no reason why you cannot use normal protein shakes, I do and ai am type 1.

Huel offer a protein version of their complete food shakes. I quite like them, they are nutritionally complete, contain a boost of protein and are plant based, they really do tick a load of boxes.

Give them a try

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Non diabetic here with a strong family history of type 2 - so living life as carb free as I can!

I have started weight training and have been advised to up my protein. I am quite a protein fiend but I am not taking anywhere near the recommended amount, as such I am thinking of protein shakes.

Before I go googling, can anyone recommend a decent one that is diabetic friendly and won’t taste awful?

thanks!

In peak training season after big rides or runs I use PINK SUN Whey Protein Concentrate Powder Unflavoured (Amazon) - Nice thing I can use the same powder in my protein pancakes and baking it has no additives.

important you must have your base milk spinning in a milkfrother / Blender when you add the powder as the powder has no additives to make it mix. Then just add some coco powder or vanilla extract.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
070E3722-F170-4BC4-8CB6-84A900CEA7D3.jpeg
My non diabetic husband who likes to keep sugar and carbohydrate at a low level uses this one. There are several flavours, available from My Protein, it is a clear mix unlike the shakes. This is his favourite flavour

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I use isolate, any good brand will do. I prefer whole food, but shakes are fine in a pinch

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Forgot to add. The reason I do not like whey is that I put on fat after having some whey based gingerbread my wife made. I was at my leanest at the time, and obsessively tracking food and using bio scales, so could correlate what changed. My observations appear to backed by whey being said to be insulinogenic:

https://www.nature.com/articles/ejc...perties,insulinaemic- and plasma AA responses.

Another issue I have with whey is the availability of the protein in this waste product. Dr John Jaquish says it is 18% ,he does have a competing product which he says is 99%:
https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/fortagen

In the below link I have a video which compares a gym goer using protein shakes vs food:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/worried-by-latest-results.180288/page-3#post-2374690

For full disclosure, I do make protein bread using the "Bulk" brand of plain egg white protein. I have no interest in the "bread", just the clean additional protein with stuff I can understand and I am on a long term experiment leaning towards P.E. principals.

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
When I was training years ago I used to take a protein called ELITE I found that good for me it was low sugar,but obviously we all different just watch and keep track