Rapid D link

drvoles

Hi guys.
Im new to the forum.
Diabetic for 25 yrs. Been on a pump for 3 or 4 months now.
Generally going pretty well. Already seen an improvement in hba1c, and the jext step is to fine tune and tighten my control somewhat.

However....
I would like a little advice re: cannulae you guys use.
I have the accu-chek combo pump. Since starting on it, I have only used the rapid d links. For the most part theyre ok...
But my complaints so far are...
Change every 48hrs - no biggie
A bit sore sometimes - tolerable but annoying at times. Very occasionally get quite sudden pain from them whilst walking around.
But my main concern/complaint is the failure rate.
I have had (as far as I recall) 5 incidences in approx 50 cannulae where I have bolused and discovered a significant leak of insulin at the site.
Thats a 10% failure rate. Unnacceptable in my eyes.
Fortunately I noticed very rapidly each time.
I susoect its caused by tunnelling or movement of the cannula within the tissues. My injection sites are good, well rotated and no scar tissue (apart from a chicken pox scar which I avoid like the plague - geddit? No? Oh...)

So - this is my long winded way of asking a question. Im keen to try different typenof cannula. What are your exoeriences of the different types? Has anyone else had similar problems? Am I whinging for no reason? Lol. Anything else you guys might be able to suggest - ideas etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mark.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off.. Any pain with rapid d and you have hit a bad area and you should change it and the site.
I get it all the time in my stomach for any set.
My bum although small has ample sites to use.. Alternating on a 4-6 weekly basis swopping from cheek to cheek.
I get high problems of hitting blood on my legs too.

Flexlinks were worse forme because I am so physcally active that it seemed that the constantly got 'bent' in my body.

Rapid d's.. I would advise that you always when changing the tube-change the cannula too. Reason is... Accuchek dont mention this at all.... That when you attach a rapid d connectors together and have insulin priming through the connectors, try flucking the connectors whilst holding the set tube in one hand. When you connect, somehow the connectors amass air in them. If the connectors are given opportunity to move and you have not flicked the air out with the insulin whilst priming... You are so likely to get that trapped air miving from the connectors down the short tube in to your body.

Personally, I have now experienced high's when I have reattached after a bath using the old set in me, or lkue yesterday when I changed the cartridge and tube, but it wasnt the day to change my set, so I reattached to the old set.. And you cant flick the air through the connectors then. This then yesterday caused me a high. I can guarantee a high if I reattach to an old set without being able to flick the air out of the connectors.

In fact last night after flucking the air out, or so I thought- I went to take the cap and paper off and twice two more little air bubbles had appeared in the small tubing.

This is only my belief, with rapid d's. I complained about flexlink plus's being faulty and basically bery few people here believed me. Until they were withdrawn. I belueve rapid d connectors are actually substandard as there is air in them when they are joined and with insulin pushing through and bodies and connectors moving, then that air will at some point pass throght the little tube to the connector.

Also whilst priming, make sure that air bubbles when you are banging the pump on its bottom are passing through the ling tube at an even pace. Sometimes, I will see bubbles actually stuck in the long tube, if this happens I change the tube because it will mean that sometime during the 6 days of wearing it that my insulin will also not continue well on its journey through the tube.

Personally for me, I cannot use the plastic cannulas at all as my muscle and blood do not happily play along..
Originally I was given flexlinks, hosp said to try the flexlink plus's as I was getting too many failures with flexlinks. Then the patterns of failure (posted in this forum 2+ years ago) -and I was anal about patterns and testing were faulty and eventually got withdrawn.
Then was puton rapid d's which I canmabage in my bum only. In stomach and legs they were always painful, leaking or bloody up the tube.
Conultant suggested tenderlink, but despite the dsn meant to be phoning me for two past months, so she can shiw me how to put them in... She hasnt.i did get a box and connectors, but I cannot twist far enough round due to frozen shoulder to put them in my bum. The sets and introducer needke look horrible to self insert. I have tried numerous times by myself but on my bum, I just cant get the paper off. I also took the needle out to look at the cannula and flicked the cannula hard... And it broke.. So that put me off them fir good.

With rapid d's I find having a new set each time, flicking the air out ( hold set end in one hand snd let the connector swing free loosely whilst tapping at keast 6 times, and continue tapping till the volumes of air bubbles go) then I stand a chance with continuing better levels. Soubds line bother, but it normally inky adds a minute on to swopping over..

Just wish accuchek would inform people to flick the connectors to get rid of the air in them.

drvoles

Thanks for the reply.

Its bit the air bubbles I struggle with. Im somewhat obsessive at trying to avoid them.

My concern is with regards to s8gnificant leaks of insulin at the cannula site on the skin.
I managed to get hold of some tenderlinks today, so will see yow they go.

iHs

drvoles said:
Thanks for the reply.

Its bit the air bubbles I struggle with. Im somewhat obsessive at trying to avoid them.

My concern is with regards to s8gnificant leaks of insulin at the cannula site on the skin.
I managed to get hold of some tenderlinks today, so will see yow they go.

Hi

The Tenderlinks st ick very well even if you fumble a bit when removing the adhesive backing strips and the adhesive fabric is a bit crinkly when you stick it to your skin. As long as the cannula is in and the fabric stuck down on the skin, that should be ok. Look on youtube to see how to insert them. They are more or less the same as the Sills (Medtronic).

Re the Rapid D's...... if you look carefully at the set with the adhesive strips removed, there will be a small circle around the steel needle that wont have any stick surrounding it. It might be that that's causing you to experience some leakage of insulin when you move about. If you cut off a strip of Transpore tape (eBay or Amazon) and lay that over the set, it will stop the needle from moving in your skin. Transpore is used in hospitals etc and is like clear sellotape but there are other tapes such as Hypafix. Dont use Micropore though as it will just come off whereas Transpore wont even when showering.

Hope that helps a bit................

drvoles

Very useful, thanks. Im going to try some tenderlinks and see how I get on.
I suspected it was lack of glue near the needle or possibly needle length. Or tunneling. Lol. Or a conbination. Useful tip tho,
Will see how I get on.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi - I use the Flexlink and find it very good, never had a failure and never had a leak either.

I change the Flexlink every three days and the cartridge every six days so kind of lines up ok.

I used to use the Rapid D but got similar problems to you.