Really annoyed by NHS Diabetes prevention program

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I remember from attending the Desmond Course - nurses said you can still eat pizza but may be go for thin crust instead and just eat less, again just cut back on potatoes may be have 2 instead of 4, someone in my group loved magnums and was advised may be just not have a full one and also advised on low fat for everything (really! - the foregoing is a no no for me these days) - these days I make my pizza base from mozzarella cheese and eggs, not that I found out that from attending the course - course was really a waste of my time and a lot of rubbish - I don't think I actually learnt anything useful on it at all.

May we have your pizza base recipe please? I find fat head a bit rich so looking for an alternative. Thanks.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May we have your pizza base recipe please? I find fat head a bit rich so looking for an alternative. Thanks.
Yes of course but it is not a recipe as such just what I throw together, there are other recipes if you google keto pizza which can be done in the oven if you prefer

For the base - 4 eggs and 3/4 a packet (roughly 200g size) of grated mozzarella cheese, salt & pepper (I also added a little garlic granules for extra flavour if you like garlic) mixed together in a bowl then fried in a frying pan with a little butter. Once bottom is cooked put frying pan under a hot grill to cook the top (the same way as I would cook an omlette). Then let it cool down.

Once cool, add:
Pizza sauce (I just added some plum tomatoes with the sauce on top), sprinkle the remainder of cheese that is left in the packet (I added a little cheddar also as I like it really cheesy) and then whatever other toppings you like if any. I love mushrooms and onions on pizza also and had cooked these in the frying pan with the butter and put them aside on a plate before cooking the base and then just added them on top with a little more cheddar sprinkled over the top to seal the toppings once the base had cooled down and before finishing off under the grill. Enjoy!

Reactions: Flora123

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
There are many (not here in the forum but 'oot there) who use LC diets just for weight loss. Most give up because they do not see the weight falling away like on other Low Cal diets they are used to. But, the problem with massive weight loss, impressive as it may be at first, is that when the diet stops, the weight just piles on again, and they suffer rotating door syndrome.

LC weight loss that is more gradual tends to be not just the water loss that crash diets use to impress us, but is more mellow, and less roller coasting. I have been LC for over 5 years now. My weight dropped from 18 stones steadily down to 10 stone, and I have remained fairly steady at that weight for 4 years at least. I sometimes shake the scales in case the pointer is jammed, but no. 62.3 kg repeatedly every week give or take half a kg.
That is very impressive and you've reached a weight that must be right for you. The BG readings are far more important and of course melting away the visceral fat that is wrapped around my organs. I feel great eating low carb. It took a few weeks to get there but I honestly feel now that the diagnosis was a blessing.

Reactions: Oldvatr and DCUKMod