Really Frightened now, but determined to change my lifestyle

big_daddy

Yesterday I got a seriously massive wake up call when my gp told me that my Hba1c has significantly gone up, my blood pressure is a bit high and that protein was found in my urine test. The gp has prescribed me with ramipril and this has made me realize what I am doing to myself as my kidneys might be failing.

On this Monday coming up I have an appointment with a dietician at the Royal Derby Hospital and I have proposed a somewhat low carb diet which I am planning on following for two months if the dietician think that its a good idea. For breakfast: 125g of Brooklea Low Fat Natural Yoghurt with a handful of blueberries. For lunch; 2 scrambled eggs with a pinch of chilli powders. For dinner: a beef burger cooked on a George Foreman Grill with a layer of lettuce, red onion slices and sliced tomato.

From today I have started to follow my meter and already my sugars were at 11.7 when I woke up this morning at 7am to 21 at 11am after having a bowl of oats with yoghurt and blueberries and my meds. I have just tested now after walking outside for 30 minutes and is now at 21.3. I am now thinking of skipping lunch and test every hour to see if they will be lower by 2 or 3pm.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you take insulin then I would take a correction dose with sugars that high and continue to test until they come down.
Oats tend to send my sugars really high so that could be why they've shot up (although eating this again and testing will confirm if you can tolerate them or not).

Personally i wouldn't skip lunch as it would just cause me to be really hungry later and eat loads and probably make poorer choices. Maybe a salad with some protein or cheese might be good as it should have less impact on your sugar that carbs.

It would be good to raise wanting to do low carb with the dietician and showing her what you intend to eat. However, not all dieticians and doctors agree with low carb so don't necessarily expect them to support you. Although they may surprise you and tell you to go for it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also don't forget that if you low carb you need to replace the carbs with something else so you don't starve. I eat low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Again this could be something to raise with the dietician.

big_daddy

Also don't forget that if you low carb you need to replace the carbs with something else so you don't starve. I eat low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Again this could be something to raise with the dietician.

I don't take insulin, but I do take 2000mg metformin and 320mg gliclazide every day. I have just had a blood sugar reading of 19.9 and feel fine, apart from a blocked nose and a minor chesty cough.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the dietitian will point out that this type of diet is really not sustainable .Have you checked out just how few calories it comes to? Why not calculate it on one the online diaries, think that you will be quite surprised.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As Patch says, you need fat! Avoid the low-fat products and go for the full fat ones.

This is how I make cheese omelette: 2 tbs of cream for each egg, pinch of salt, a splash of tabasco sause, whisk together. Melt a generous knob of butter in a frying pan and pour in the eggs. Grate a cup of cheddar or whatever cheese you have at hand and spread it on top of the eggs. Put a lid on.

Serve with any kind of vegetable.

Reactions: 3 people

big_daddy

I have always gone for low fat products and currently have low fat cheddar, garlic mayo, butter etc. in my fridge. I forgot to mention that I also have a pot of sugar-free jelly with low fat cream or a handful of bbq flavoured nuts as snacks.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the more low-fat products we eat, the fatter we will get.

Time for a change in your shopping then, as the low-fat often contains sugar or at least corn starch that will raise you bg, while the full-fat ones will fill you up without high bg.

Reactions: 6 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Naturally occurring sat fats found in fresh meats,fish,certain nuts,full fat dairy products and olive oil are satiating and turn the "I'm always hungry" switch off...I avoid low fat products like the plague and my weight is the best it's been in years without feeling hungry between meals.

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I make my own fajita seasoning and coat some chicken breast, fry it in butter and add it to salad with avocado. I get low carb wraps from the low carb megastore and freeze them.
For breakfast I invariably boil some eggs and chop them up in a cup with some butter and a bit of full fat mayo. If I really can't be bothered making anything I open a tin of tuna and stir in some mayo and salt and pepper.

C

catherinecherub

I have always gone for low fat products and currently have low fat cheddar, garlic mayo, butter etc. in my fridge. I forgot to mention that I also have a pot of sugar-free jelly with low fat cream or a handful of bbq flavoured nuts as snacks.

I know that you are financially hard up from other posts that I have read. Using up what you have got is OK for now but when is your appointment with the Dietitian?
If you have to shop before then make sure that you give low fat products the elbow and concentrate on buying products that will help you gain control.
As Phoenix says, your proposed menu is too low in calories.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You cant really do low carb and low fat, you end up having to eat too much protein to get useful calories and if your kidneys are suffering as well then too much protein is far worse for you than fat.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We keep sheep and eat our own animals. My favourite is really fat mutton - delicious fat. We had a friend over to feast on this and she cut away the fat but ate the meat. I said but you should try the fat, it is delicious! It took a while for her to get around to do this. She was brought up to believe animal fat to be evil but eventually she did try. Now she always asks if she will get mutton when we ask her!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that is not clear here is how much exercise you are getting as well. It's a great idea to limit your carb intake, but if I remember correctly you're also quite overweight?

See if you can get soem help in drawing up a realistic exercise plan that you can and will stick to. You'd be amazed how much a bit of exercise helps in controlling your blood sugars as well.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
I think the dietitian will point out that this type of diet is really not sustainable .Have you checked out just how few calories it comes to? Why not calculate it on one the online diaries, think that you will be quite surprised.
hello how do i find the caulater for this would it be on this site? or google xx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cath there are several online Myfitnesspal, fatsecret, Livestrong. are just three of them. You have to take a bit of care with using the data as a lot has been put in by individuals and isn't always accurate so it's worth looking to see if the figures look in the right 'ballpark' . I think that the Myfitnesspal probably has most input from people all over the world rather than just the US.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
th
Cath there are several online Myfitnesspal, fatsecret, Livestrong. are just three of them. You have to take a bit of care with using the data as a lot has been put in by individuals and isn't always accurate so it's worth looking to see if the figures look in the right 'ballpark' . I think that the Myfitnesspal probably has most input from people all over the world rather than just the US.
anku so much for that i will check these out now xx

big_daddy

I know that you are financially hard up from other posts that I have read. Using up what you have got is OK for now but when is your appointment with the Dietitian?
If you have to shop before then make sure that you give low fat products the elbow and concentrate on buying products that will help you gain control.
As Phoenix says, your proposed menu is too low in calories.

My appointment with the dietician is midday on Monday.

Yes I have checked out the calorie intake and I will be fine with it, even my family has suggested to me that I could do without having lunch to lose more weight. My shopping list contains of 15 eggs for £1, 64 Scotch Beef Burgers for £10, 500g Frozen Fruit for £1, Lettuce for 75p, Tomato's for 75p, Red Onion's for £1.

One thing that is not clear here is how much exercise you are getting as well. It's a great idea to limit your carb intake, but if I remember correctly you're also quite overweight?

See if you can get soem help in drawing up a realistic exercise plan that you can and will stick to. You'd be amazed how much a bit of exercise helps in controlling your blood sugars as well.

Yes I am obese and I have started to walk to my classes at uni apart from when classes are at 7 floors up and beyond, instead I walk up to the 4th floor and then take the lift up. But whenever I do something strenuous I end up having my nose bleeding and I am due to begin workout at the gym soon and to take up swimming classes.