old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2, and although I was diagnosed quite a few years back as borderline, I guess as I have got much older my life has become more sedimentary where as I used to be quite active, scuba diving, motorcycling etc.
I have to make some life style changes and diets, but here is my problem, I love red meat, not keen on fruit, love a glass of wine or three, like a drop (LARGE) of whisky or two. Am I a lost cause?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Old Sparky and welcome to the most useful corner of the internet for us Type 2s. First I’ll tag in @daisy1 who’ll post loads of useful links for you.
Can you answer a couple of questions to help us help you? Are you on any medication? Do you know your last HbA1c result? Do you monitor your own blood sugars?
Now the good news. Most of us control our blood sugar levels with a low carb diet. Red meat is carb free, as is red wine and whiskey. Most fruit is full of natural sugar (carbs), but berries are low so can be eaten if you like :)
If you are on Metformin, alcohol is supposed to be avoided but some people do mix them.
So break out a steak and wash it down with a glass of red wine and a whiskey chaser! :joyful:

Reactions: ziggy_w

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome!!
No, far from a lost cause. All the things you like are still going to be there. Its good that you are not keen on fruit, because we t2ds shouldn't be eating it. Some members on this forum eat hardly any veg at all and have a very high meat diet.

Please have a good read on the forum about the ways to control your blood sugar. One of the most important things to do is to buy a meter, unless your gp has given you one? Most of us have to get our own. But without a meter it is very difficult to understand what different foods do to your bs.

Do you have any weight to lose? On any medication?

It is very difficult at first to accept and then apply everything that you will learn. But it can be done! Have a cup of tea and start reading. Google Jason fung and dietdoctor. Good luck with it all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to make some life style changes and diets, but here is my problem, I love red meat, not keen on fruit, love a glass of wine or three, like a drop (LARGE) of whisky or two. Am I a lost cause?

Well, you are lucky! You can eat as much meat as you like, including red meat, a glass of red wine is good for us and does nothing to raise blood sugar levels, similarly whisky (as long as the mixer is sugar free), but note this must be in moderation; and last but not least, fruit needs to be limited or avoided. So your problems are non existent! (except perhaps it maybe necessary to reduce the alcohol a tad especially if you are taking Metformin, and especially if you need to lose weight round your abdomen)

Have a good read round the forum, and ask as many questions as you like.

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Old Sparky and welcome to the most useful corner of the internet for us Type 2s. First I’ll tag in @daisy1 who’ll post loads of useful links for you.
Can you answer a couple of questions to help us help you? Are you on any medication? Do you know your last HbA1c result? Do you monitor your own blood sugars?
Now the good news. Most of us control our blood sugar levels with a low carb diet. Red meat is carb free, as is red wine and whiskey. Most fruit is full of natural sugar (carbs), but berries are low so can be eaten if you like :)
If you are on Metformin, alcohol is supposed to be avoided but some people do mix them.
So break out a steak and wash it down with a glass of red wine and a whiskey chaser! :joyful:
Hi all and thanks for the input
I am on Metformin tablets started at twice a day, but such bad side effects doctor advised down to one a day but I take it at night, but still feel like **** next day. I have high blood pressure too, controlled with tablets, (ugh) I hate taking pills btw.
Reading from the quacks said it was 56-57. not sure what all that means. I do not monitor my own levels. as I wouldnt know how to start. But going away soon so will be walking and swimming, the only exercise I do apart from drinking wine. Lol

Many thanks again, I am glad I can talk about this to others.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@old sparky

Hello Old Sparky and welcome to the forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading from the quacks said it was 56-57. not sure what all that means. I do not monitor my own levels. as I wouldnt know how to start.

Is that your blood glucose test result? If so it sounds like an HbA1c test. It is important to know this. There is no point sitting back not knowing where you are on this journey. Please ask your surgery for a print out of your test results. This will show exactly which tests you had, what the results were, and what the normal standard range is. Anything you don't understand all you have to do is ask on here. It should also tell you what other tests you had such as cholesterol, kidney and liver functions. These are all very important for diabetics and you need to know.

There is no need to worry about testing your own blood. We will tell you what to do and what it all means if you decide to buy one, and we will point you in the right direction where best to buy one from and which brand. All you need is a blood glucose meter, some test strips, and some lancets. It is just a matter of pricking your finger for a small drop of blood, putting this on a test strip, and inserting the strip in the meter. It is all very simple and easy. Quite honestly, without one you are working blind, like driving a car with no speedometer. All you are doing is guessing and stressing without one.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all and thanks for the input
I am on Metformin tablets started at twice a day, but such bad side effects doctor advised down to one a day but I take it at night, but still feel like **** next day. I have high blood pressure too, controlled with tablets, (ugh) I hate taking pills btw.

If you’re not tolerating Metformin well it might be worth asking for the slow release version, they are often tolerated better.

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
If you’re not tolerating Metformin well it might be worth asking for the slow release version, they are often tolerated better.
Hi Rachox
I guess I am an anti drug person as I am 71 and never smoked, always been fairly active, not exactly sporty active, but enjoyed life, I keep ticking things off my bucket list.
My point is really why do doctors put you metformin first instead of going for slow release first, it would make more sense to me and save the NHS money????
BTW just started low carb diet and went to Iceland and bought a load of slimming world food two for a fiver cant be bad?
Thanks again

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for the percentages of carbs - slimming world foods are not necessarily low carb - some are, but you need to check.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox
I guess I am an anti drug person as I am 71 and never smoked, always been fairly active, not exactly sporty active, but enjoyed life, I keep ticking things off my bucket list.
My point is really why do doctors put you metformin first instead of going for slow release first, it would make more sense to me and save the NHS money????
BTW just started low carb diet and went to Iceland and bought a load of slimming world food two for a fiver cant be bad?
Thanks again
Standard Metformin is cheaper than slow release, so that’s why they try standard first.
Read the packets carefully on the SW meals, though low calorie they may not be particularly low carb.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2, and although I was diagnosed quite a few years back as borderline, I guess as I have got much older my life has become more sedimentary where as I used to be quite active, scuba diving, motorcycling etc.

Hope this helps -
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

Charly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed in November but firstly it is not the end of the world! I am on Metaformin and so far have tolerated it within reason. If it gets worse i will ask for the slow release version. Diet helps but depending on your results you can make up your mind what you want to eat. Fortunately i have a very progressive GP surgery and DN NurSe who on my first visit to the DN gave me a gi monitor and prescribed me lancets and gi strips. Ask if you are on Metformin you are entitled to get them and based on your age you are entitled to them (others will say otherwise) i have lost 24 pounds this year which also helps. I am working on losing and keeping a half stone off a month without going totally negative. Now the heresy i have 30 mg of porridge for breakfast with blueberries. I have a wholemeal sandwich and with ham and cheese and an apple for lunch and just have had roast lamb with roast tatties and parsnips in moderation. I have enjoyed a large Dalwinne or two and am enjoying a bottle of Chianti. I will be dry tomorrow until Friday but that could change depending on how I feel. I will continue to enjoy life albeit in moderation and takes the diagnosis on the chin and learn to live with it! One tip the works is a low cost book shop that has Phil Vickery’s diabetes cook book at a vey low price full of brilliant recipes. I love to cook but my dinner time can be any time from 05:30 pm to 12:30 am depending on where i am travelling to and from. So i look at my diagnosis as a kick up the backside tochange some areas of diet and exercise and just get on with life

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Charly1
I do not take life seriously, but as I have put on a lot of weight, I need to look at reducing my waist line a bit. (actually quite a lot)
Thanks to all the comments and suggestions, now bed time, had my nightly metaformin and BP tabs, should sleep like a log for at least 3 hours?????
Thanks again guys and gals

Charly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Me too the weight just crept up on me and several rugby tours didn’t help. I only found out i was T2 after seeing the GP for a different issue. The weight loss has plateaued so back to the exercise bike

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI New TD2
I have just clicked on the link re low carb meals etc. a lot of the stuff appeals to me but I am a bread and crumpet stuffer at breakfast, just love crumpets with marmalade, not sure how to give that up, but will give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again everyone

There are a few low carb breads available in some supermarkets. I am addicted to Lidl High Protein rolls that are under 10g carbs per roll, delicious sliced in half and toasted with a generous amount of butter. (no marmalade!). There is also one called Hi-LO and another called Burgen, and others. You just need to shop around and scour the bread shelves looking at the main nutrition label for the amount of Total Carbohydrate.

Do be careful with your Slimming World and Weight Watcher meals - they are not designed for diabetics. They may be low calorie but this is because of the reduced fat and refined sugar, they are not all low in carbs and it is the carbs that are important to reduce. Look at the nutrition labels. Fats don't matter. You will still lose weight by reducing carbs. It isn't losing weight that is the main priority, it is losing the amount of glucose in your system that is vitally important, and all carbs convert to glucose once inside the system. Fats don't.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
QUOTE="Charly1, post: 1675964, member: 453563"
Fortunately i have a very progressive GP surgery and DN prescribed me lancets and gi strips. Ask if you are on Metformin you are entitled to get them and based on your age you are entitled to them (others will say otherwise)

Lucky the T2's who are not on insulin who get who get strips on prescription because they are very few. Metformin is not a drug that requires they have to give them and age does not make any difference to that. I am 78 and my husband is 85 both of us have T2 but we can't get them on prescription we buy our own. Most GP practices will only give them on prescription for T1's and T2's on insulin

Edit Delete Report

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI New TD2
I have just clicked on the link re low carb meals etc. a lot of the stuff appeals to me but I am a bread and crumpet stuffer at breakfast, just love crumpets with marmalade, not sure how to give that up, but will give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again everyone

You must give up bread and maramalade because they are toxic to diabetics like us.

A friend of mine who’s also a diabetic did not give up bread, crumpet, and jam for breakfast.

After so much advice from the GP, dietitian and her DN, she still didn’t listen and was in denial and now she’s blind and bed ridden.

Apart from blindness, she also developed nerve damage to her legs and now they’re considering amputations!

Diabetes is a serious chronic disease and must be taken very seriously.

I suggest try Lidl high protein roll. It’s onky 9.6g carb per roll. It’s triangular in shape for 29p at Lidl.

A whole meal bread is over 20g carb per slice and that’s absolutely dangerous to your health!

Also why not make your own jam using low carb berries like strawberries, raspberries or blackberries with Stevia?

Stevia is a safe, natural sweetener, 200x sweeter than sugar, it’s zero sugar, zero carb! You can get it from Holland & Barrett or Sainsbury’s.

It’s healthier and it won’t spike your blood glucose levels!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You must give up bread and maramalade because they are toxic to diabetics like us.

A friend of mine who’s also a diabetic did not give up bread, crumpet, and jam for breakfast.

After so much advice from the GP, dietitian and her DN, she still didn’t listen and was in denial and now she’s blind and bed ridden.

Apart from blindness, she also developed nerve damage to her legs and now they’re considering amputations!

Diabetes is a serious chronic disease and must be taken very seriously.

I suggest try Lidl high protein roll. It’s onky 9.6g carb per roll. It’s triangular in shape for 29p at Lidl.

A whole meal bread is over 20g carb per slice and that’s absolutely dangerous to your health!

Also why not make your own jam using low carb berries like strawberries, raspberries or blackberries with Stevia?

Stevia is a safe, natural sweetener, 200x sweeter than sugar, it’s zero sugar, zero carb! You can get it from Holland & Barrett or Sainsbury’s.

It’s healthier and it won’t spike your blood glucose levels!
Not all bread. Hi lo bread is 5g per slice so half that of a Lidl roll and a whole lot nicer
Telling someone they will go blind and lose their legs if they keep eating toast and jam is nonsense.
If someone keeps their sugars high then yes they run risks but there is more than one way of keeping sugars at a good level. People need to be advised to test what works for their body using a meter etc not fed scare stories