Recent HbA1c Test

jwglass

Hello, I had a HbA1c test recently and have been asked to an appointment with a clinical pharmacist at the surgery. I’m quite young so wasn’t expecting this, what could be the reasons for the appointment?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Probably out of the normal range. But don’t over stress, it’s not the end of the world.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I had a HbA1c test recently and have been asked to an appointment with a clinical pharmacist at the surgery. I’m quite young so wasn’t expecting this, what could be the reasons for the appointment?
Take a breath. Have the appointment, ask for a print-out of your results, and decide for yourself what you want to do. IF, and it's still very much an if, you are a T2, you'll have options. Try tackling it with diet, diet and medication, and medication only. But it can be handled and you can improve your health. Have a read here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ It might help you make a descision. (Some ask for 3 months to try and use diet to get their numbers down rather than go straight on to metformin). And if you are diagnosed, you're likely to be put on statins. If you don't actually need them, you might want to pass; one of the side effects would be high blood sugars, so not ideal.

Anyway... We'll be here if you need any help. Here's to hoping all comes back normal. But if not... You're not alone.
Jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's interesting that it's with a pharmacist and not a GP or nurse? Do get yourself added to your surgery online system including test results and medical record so that in future you can know why you might be being 'summoned'. Do come back for advice after the appointment.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. It's interesting that it's with a pharmacist and not a GP or nurse? Do get yourself added to your surgery online system including test results and medical record so that in future you can know why you might be being 'summoned'. Do come back for advice after the appointment.
Unfortunately not all surgeries allow you access to your records on line despite it being mandated by the NHS 3 years ago. I asked a couple of months ago and was told that the GPs didn’t sign up to it initially so probably wouldn't be doing it. Ironically I can access my blood results through DiabetesMyWay which was rolled out in Somerset a year or so ago.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately not all surgeries allow you access to your records on line despite it being mandated by the NHS 3 years ago. I asked a couple of months ago and was told that the GPs didn’t sign up to it initially so probably wouldn't be doing it. Ironically I can access my blood results through DiabetesMyWay which was rolled out in Somerset a year or so ago.
There is an NHS app you can sign up to directly. Does that still require your surgery?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm amazed the surgery are ignoring an NHS mandate. If you feel strongly you can always lobby your PPG group which the surgery HAS to have.

jwglass

I had my appointment with the clinical pharmacist earlier. My HbA1c result is 43 mmol/mol so I’m considered prediabetes. The pharmacist initially suggested a low dose of metformin but I’d rather manage through diet and exercise. I’d welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a brief look at the app when it came out but didn’t get any further! May have another look

Hi, my surgery do have an online option but it's changed twice now to different apps, the latest being the NHS one which we were told we have to change to by the end of August. I went through the rigmarole (easy enough but you need 2 forms of ID such as a Passport & a driving licence, then you have to upload a photo (!) or if not a photo it takes a video of your face saying a number!!!! Anyway, I use it now and it seems ok but I thought it might link the GPs info with any taken separately by the Hospital but it doesn't meaning that any blood tests the hospital Consultant asks for do not go onto this app and you get those results (eventually) in a letter. x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Hba1c is 42 and I am considered in remission - so there is some room for manoeuvre in the diagnosis.
I suggest that eating fewer carbs in a consistent manner ought to put you in the normal range in a day or so.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Well the good news is that your levels are not that high which should make it easier. Read the link posted by @JoKalsbeek as that is a very good way to start. I would recommend getting a meter so that you can see for yourself the improvements you can make.

Welcome.

jwglass

Hello and welcome,

Well the good news is that your levels are not that high which should make it easier. Read the link posted by @JoKalsbeek as that is a very good way to start. I would recommend getting a meter so that you can see for yourself the improvements you can make.

Welcome.

Thank you Vashti. To be honest, I’m a bit surprised that my level is in the prediabetes range as while my diet could be better if I ate less fats, my sugar and carb intake isn’t high. So a little surprised and concerned that this is something I already need to consider at a relatively young age (I’m 31).

@JoKalsbeek link is very informative though (thank you Jo).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Vashti. To be honest, I’m a bit surprised that my level is in the prediabetes range as while my diet could be better if I ate less fats, my sugar and carb intake isn’t high. So a little surprised and concerned that this is something I already need to consider at a relatively young age (I’m 31).

@JoKalsbeek link is very informative though (thank you Jo).
More fats, more fats... Not less, for a prediabetic. And could you share a typical day's meals/snacks/drinks? Who knows, there might be more carbs than you suspect...
(And, my pleasure!)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my sugar and carb intake isn’t high.
Just out of interest do you eat healthy carbs and not cake, biscuit crisps etc? I ask because this was me at pre diabetes and I had no idea some people can't process as many "healthy" carbs as the eatwell guide proposes.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
hi jwglass

Firstly, you are definitely in the right place here on the website. I am so grateful to have landed here - every response I have had (to lots of questions) has been expert, measured, sensible and supportive.

Your post struck a note with me as regards shock at diagnosis of prediabetes. I also had an Hb1AC of 43 and was healthy weight/ had reasonable diet/was very active etc. The first GP I saw was not vaguely concerned. Thankfully, I had started testing my sugars following advice here. The 'just into the prediabetic range' wasn't the whole story as I was having huge fluctuations eg. low measures then high, which I think was probably masked because the Hb1ac is an average. A big, big thank you to KK123 above and others for suggesting I request other tests: CPeptide/GAD antibody tests among others. The next GP I saw was brilliant and realised there was a problem. Requests for test were sent and then all hurried along when I ended up in hospital due to illness/high keytones and I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I can see I'm rambling....think its a way of coming to terms with it all.

So....to cut the story short: follow the advice you get on here. Ask questions along the way as it all takes time and everyone is different. The lovely people on here don't mind...they help. Try the diet - the low carb high fat one. It works - my Hb1ac is now 37 and I have good control over my sugar levels. Depending upon what the problem is, the diet might not work for ever (eg. if you aren't producing/won't produce enough insulin yourself you will need it at some point)..although I believe I've read that the diet continues to help. I did have a problem with rising triglycerides in cholesterol ...but again, with help from this website and a fantastic DN nurse I've got on top of those by making sure my fats are primarily healthy ones....avacado, olive oil, nuts, etc.

Hope this helps....it was a long way of saying trust the help you will get on this website and ask lots of questions!

PS...I definitely don't consider myself expert ...I'm still learning: it's very complicated....so if I've muddled anything here whilst I've been gabbling I'll apologise now and won't worry if someone corrects my info...please do!

Good luck with it all. :)

jwglass

@JoKalsbeek @copilost breakfast is usually eggs or toast. Lunch is then either a sandwich or a jacket potato. But in last 3 months, I’ve been working from home due to the lockdown so breakfast and lunch have become brunch instead - so I’m either having breakfast or lunch, not both. Dinner is usually rice, pasta or noodles with chicken/meat and/or beans/pulses, with some veg. Snacks during the day are usually fruits, nuts or some yoghurt. I’ll then indulge on some evenings with biscuits or something sweet.

jwglass

@Em16 thank you for your reply, it’s reassuring and you aren’t rambling at all:) . If you don’t mind me asking, what did the other tests show that HbA1c didn’t pick up?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek @copilost breakfast is usually eggs or toast. Lunch is then either a sandwich or a jacket potato. But in last 3 months, I’ve been working from home due to the lockdown so breakfast and lunch have become brunch instead - so I’m either having breakfast or lunch, not both. Dinner is usually rice, pasta or noodles with chicken/meat and/or beans/pulses, with some veg. Snacks during the day are usually fruits, nuts or some yoghurt. I’ll then indulge on some evenings with biscuits or something sweet.

I hate to break it to you, but you're eating massive amounts of carbs with every meal then.... Toast/bread, rice, potatoes, noodles and pasta and fruit are all carb-heavy, and topped off with a biscuit or something sweet? Usually yoghurt is heavy too, save for full fat greek yoghurt. Some people are okay with beans and pulses, they spike me though. Your meter'll tell you. Go over the Nutritional Thingy again, there's loads of room for improvement, so that means you could be back into the normal range quite quick. But as I'm reading it right now, the only good things you're having are the eggs, poultry, meat and nuts. Sorry...