Recently Diagnosed With Type 2 Diabetes

maitai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I honestly feel like a failure.

I'm embarrassed that I have this and I keep beating myself up because I let myself get to this point. I'm a 21 year old female, my family and friends have been very comforting which I appreciate. But my anxiety has been at a peak ever since my visit to the doctor. I know it isn't the end of the world but it certainly feels like it.

I got prescribed metformin, 2 tablets a day totalling to 1000 mg a day.

Any tips on how to cope and how you dealt with the entirety of everything.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

Diagnosis can hit us very hard but the first thing to get your head around is the fact that this was not your fault. Blame is not a part of any illness or condition. What to do next? Take one step at a time, find out how best to deal with the physical problems which have to be addressed. This will help you enormously in coming to terms with what is often thought of as a life changing condition.

Addressing your dietary changes and getting yourself a glucometer rank high in priority. Starting a food diary, recording what you eat and the corresponding readings you get will help you learn which foods suit you best.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hello. I'm about 11 weeks into my T2 journey. I know how you feel and I know all about the perceived stigma and shame that (wrongly) come with diagnosis.
There is loads of great advice, practical and emotional on this site. @daisy1 will post you a welcome pack of info I'm sure but hunt around the site for other stuff as well. I wrote a blog recently (it's in the blog section) about my first 50 days with T2.
Emotion played a big part. It is hard. It does get easier.
The key elements in my own success so far in managing the condition have been:
- moving to low carb as soon as I felt able
- increasing exercise by 10-20%
- keeping hydrated
- testing my blood before and after meals to check the impact of different food type
- using this site to get access to info, but also for moral support - making it habit forming.
- ask for help.

If you try to take on all the practical advice in one day you may find it overwhelming, so I suggest using some of the key elements build yourself a plan for the next couple of days that you can stick to. Then the next couple, then a week, then 2 weeks - build it up in digestible chunks and you'll soon make progress.
Ask questions....whatever you want to, there are no stupid questions - whatever you need to know this community will help you find the answers.
Vent. You are anonymous here so let go of all of your frustrations - we'll listen and not judge. We've been there. Some of us still are.
A friend of mine said to me tonight (with typical northern frankness): "You are wrong about the stigma; this is just something that happened, and you're dealing with it so well done".

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm embarrassed that I have this and I keep beating myself up because I let myself get to this point.
There is no way to 'give yourself' type2. You need to have a predisposition to get it. Even with a very bad diet and being overweight, most people don't develop type2. And the ones who do are usually a lot older than you are. You didn't let yourself get to this point, you've just had a bit of bad luck!
Take it easy, one step at the time of which getting used to and accept having this condition is a big step. Read through the forum, read the information daisy1 will post here, have a good cry and ask anything you want on here. Feel free to vent as well, just be careful with 'bad' words, the forum computer is pretty strict :stop:
Hope you'll feel better shortly, hug coming your way!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@maitai

Hello Maitai and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

nessie216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maitai- give yourself some time - I was diagnosed only 7 weeks ago and still feel embarrassed that I have type 2
Did you have any symptoms before your diagnosis? I didn’t and the diabetic nurse is now suspecting MODY - it could be something to look in to due to your age (I’m 10years older than you but still considered young to get T2)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm embarrassed that I have this and I keep beating myself up because I let myself get to this point. I'm a 21 year old female, my family and friends have been very comforting which I appreciate. But my anxiety has been at a peak ever since my visit to the doctor. I know it isn't the end of the world but it certainly feels like it.

This isn't on you. I went to a dietician because I was overweight, and her regime upped the carb intake to amounts that made everything far, far worse. I didn't know I had PCOS and insulin resistance, both precursors of T2, so I followed advice that added on another 15 kilo's and poof... Diabetic at 37, though probably was years before that. Our bodies cannot cope with carbs like other people's do, and we don't find out until it is often rather late in the day. You couldn't know. So please, don't lay blame at your own feet. You didn't do this to yourself. But you *can* tackle it! (I have a load of chronic conditions, and diabetes is the only one I have a say in. Now non-diabetic levels and no complications, on diet only!). You'll be okay. It might not feel like it right now, but you will be.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm also newly diagnosed 20th june and like you am finding it difficult to come to terms with and struggling with diet and controlling my BG levels.
I've received a lot of good advice and support on this forum and think you are in the right place for any questions or support you need.
Good luck

gemmap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone. I was diagnosed with type 2, 3 weeks ago. I was basically told to lose 10kg and my blood results will return to normal. The only thing i know about diabetes is from my own research( very little) any tips or advice is very welcome.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey everyone. I was diagnosed with type 2, 3 weeks ago. I was basically told to lose 10kg and my blood results will return to normal. The only thing i know about diabetes is from my own research( very little) any tips or advice is very welcome.
Hello and welcome. You may not realise it yet but you have hit the jackpot by joining this forum. Have a wander around and ask as many questions as you like.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maitai welcome to the group, you are not a failure, its not your fault. It is a shock to get diagnosed but you are in the right place for all the help, advice and support that you need to help you through this.:) We have all been where you are at the moment and felt the same. Head up and lets get going to help you sort things:happy:

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @gemmap Welcome to the group. As @Guzzler has said you are in the right place for all the help, advice and support. You are not alone we have all been where you are at the moment.:)

gemmap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im slowly getting my head around it. I have changed my diet and increased my exercise routine. I have to go back in 2 and half months for a blood test to see if my blood glucose levels are lower.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now getting towards two years from diagnosis, and really it is nothing which impacts my daily routine at all - in fact, as I now only eat twice a day it is so easy to go out for the day and only need to ensure that I have enough to drink.
I too was under instruction to eat 'healthy' carbs and am so glad that I now have the perfect excuse to eat low carb. It is far easier to be strong, active and positive on a low carb diet, both mentally and physically.

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Im slowly getting my head around it. I have changed my diet and increased my exercise routine. I have to go back in 2 and half months for a blood test to see if my blood glucose levels are lower.
May I ask in what way you have changed your diet, please? Have you learned about adjusting your carbohydrate levels and do you test at home with a blood glucose monitor?

Reactions: kitedoc

Brie912

Hi, I'm 23 and diagnosed with T2 about 6 weeks ago. It was a huge blow because I'd started trying to look after my health already, was losing weight and felt the best I had for several years. I was embarrassed and didn't tell anyone for 2 weeks. I didn't want to tell my Dad because I didn't want him to be disappointed. But he was really good about it. I've not had any really bad reactions. At work I told my manager because I was worried about night shifts. She then told someone else without my permission, who told everyone. That was annoying because people kept asking if I was ok like they were expecting me to pass out at any moment and I wasn't ready for people to know, but I've not had any negative reactions.

Diabetes isn't something to be ashamed of though. It can happen to anyone. It is overwhelming because there's so much to learn and some big lifestyle changes. Educate yourself. Most people go with a low carb high fat diet. There are loads of online recipes and I've been having fun trying new recipes. Very excited that I can still eat dark chocolate that's more than 70%. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/ I've found this useful and this website and forum in general are great. Ask anything on here and someone can probably help.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @gemmap as @Guzzler has said what is your diet like now. As suggested you should get a blood glucose meter so you can test your bloods every day. This will show what foods spike you. I use the SD Codefree one and the test strips are a reasonable price. What was your HbA1c and blood glucose levels?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally understand how you feel I too was embarrassed and still not told anyone apart from my husband,and not sure I will. I felt like a failure and had inflicted this in myself.
Once you get your head round your diagnosis it becomes easier. I was only in Metformin for a couple of weeks as low carb worked wonders for me and Metformin didn’t agree with me.
Take time to learn and research. You will find what works for you. I like the challenge of maintaining BG levels without medication and now feel much more positive.