1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Recently(ish) diagnosed Type 2

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Paul A G, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Paul A G

Paul A G · Member

I was diagnosed in July as type 2 following a blood test for an unrelated issue. My HbA1c was 69.

The diabetic nurse wanted to get me started on metformin immediately. Now I’m not anti-medication or anti-modern medicine in any way, shape or form, but I do not believe that it should automatically be the first resort in any situation. In my case I weighed 14st (90kg) and my BMI was 29.7, just bordering on obese. So I politely decline the offer of medication and agreed to review the situation in 3 months after I had the chance to alter my diet and lose some weight.

At the beginning of November my weight was down 11st 4lb (72kg) and my BMI 23.7, down to the healthy range. My HbA1c? Well that was down to 42.

To achieve this I have not been fanatically calorie counting or carb. counting. What I have done is cut out snacking, especially biscuits, crisps, cakes, buns and the like, and to go on a diet loosely along the lines of the 5-2 diet, that is 2 days a week keeping down to about 500 - 800 calories (as I say not cal. counting, just a guesstimate) and the other 5 days eating a fairly normal diet but keeping a strict eye on portion size, particularly anything with carbs. So I guess you could say it was a low carb diet but with no measuring or counting involved; having said that I still managed steak and chips occasionally. I’ve never been a big drinker but I also keep the alcohol down to the occasional glass of wine with Sunday lunch, around 1 unit per week.

I found Professor Roy Taylor’s book “Life Without Diabetes” a great source of information and guidance and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in diabetes, whether they are sufferers or not.

This is my own journey, I am certainly not suggesting that this will cure anyone, nor will it be approprate for everyone. I accept that I am now a diabetic, but if diet and life style can keep me off the medication and in remission then that can only be a good thing.

In addition I should say that a side effect, presumably of losing over 2 1/2 stone, is that I am also now off my blood pressure medication which I had been taking for about the last 8 years!

• Winner Winner x 16
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well done on your reduction in HbA1c and weight, keep up the good work and watch out for carb creep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MoorT2

MoorT2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your story. I was also diagnosed in July, a lower HBA1C but significantly more weight; my BMI was around 37.

I didn't know better so I took the meds offered but I also followed a similar diet plan to you, watching carbs, cutting out all the ****. I'd lost almost 30kg when my bloods were retaken this month and my HB1AC was down to 41.

I'm off the Metformin and Statins now and trying to maintain or lower my glucose levels by continuing to lose weight, exercise and eat better.

• Winner Winner x 6
  4. Paul A G

Paul A G · Member

Wow! And I though I'd done pretty well loosing 18kg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MoorT2

MoorT2 · Well-Known Member

Well, I had more to lose.
    Your 72kg is about where I want to get too, I'm about 10kg off that as of today.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Paul A G

Paul A G · Member

"Carb creep" is certainly something I, or rather my wife, will look out for to ensure that I stay on track.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this story @Paul A G
    It was timely as I have been reading a lot of other sites/groups which have an extreme view or method so it was refreshing and heartening to be reminded that a moderate and sustainable approach can work. That's what I try, but every so often the doubts creep in. Thanks for reminding me 'average' and 'reasonable' and 'successful' can still co-exist in diabetes and low carbing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

@Paul A G I still don't understand the attraction of chips - I don't restrict calories, only carbs, but I eat my steak with a stir fry of mushrooms, tomato, sweet pepper, and part of a packet of frozen stir fry mixture, plus anything I find in the fridge - and find it very tasty.

9. Paul A G

Paul A G · Member

"Horses for courses" I guess.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook