Recently(ish) diagnosed Type 2

Paul A G

I was diagnosed in July as type 2 following a blood test for an unrelated issue. My HbA1c was 69.

The diabetic nurse wanted to get me started on metformin immediately. Now I’m not anti-medication or anti-modern medicine in any way, shape or form, but I do not believe that it should automatically be the first resort in any situation. In my case I weighed 14st (90kg) and my BMI was 29.7, just bordering on obese. So I politely decline the offer of medication and agreed to review the situation in 3 months after I had the chance to alter my diet and lose some weight.

At the beginning of November my weight was down 11st 4lb (72kg) and my BMI 23.7, down to the healthy range. My HbA1c? Well that was down to 42.

To achieve this I have not been fanatically calorie counting or carb. counting. What I have done is cut out snacking, especially biscuits, crisps, cakes, buns and the like, and to go on a diet loosely along the lines of the 5-2 diet, that is 2 days a week keeping down to about 500 - 800 calories (as I say not cal. counting, just a guesstimate) and the other 5 days eating a fairly normal diet but keeping a strict eye on portion size, particularly anything with carbs. So I guess you could say it was a low carb diet but with no measuring or counting involved; having said that I still managed steak and chips occasionally. I’ve never been a big drinker but I also keep the alcohol down to the occasional glass of wine with Sunday lunch, around 1 unit per week.

I found Professor Roy Taylor’s book “Life Without Diabetes” a great source of information and guidance and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in diabetes, whether they are sufferers or not.

This is my own journey, I am certainly not suggesting that this will cure anyone, nor will it be approprate for everyone. I accept that I am now a diabetic, but if diet and life style can keep me off the medication and in remission then that can only be a good thing.

In addition I should say that a side effect, presumably of losing over 2 1/2 stone, is that I am also now off my blood pressure medication which I had been taking for about the last 8 years!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done on your reduction in HbA1c and weight, keep up the good work and watch out for carb creep.

Reactions: Mad76

MoorT2

I was diagnosed in July as type 2 following a blood test for an unrelated issue. My HbA1c was 69.

The diabetic nurse wanted to get me started on metformin immediately. Now I’m not anti-medication or anti-modern medicine in any way, shape or form, but I do not believe that it should automatically be the first resort in any situation. In my case I weighed 14st (90kg) and my BMI was 29.7, just bordering on obese. So I politely decline the offer of medication and agreed to review the situation in 3 months after I had the chance to alter my diet and lose some weight.

At the beginning of November my weight was down 11st 4lb (72kg) and my BMI 23.7, down to the healthy range. My HbA1c? Well that was down to 42.

To achieve this I have not been fanatically calorie counting or carb. counting. What I have done is cut out snacking, especially biscuits, crisps, cakes, buns and the like, and to go on a diet loosely along the lines of the 5-2 diet, that is 2 days a week keeping down to about 500 - 800 calories (as I say not cal. counting, just a guesstimate) and the other 5 days eating a fairly normal diet but keeping a strict eye on portion size, particularly anything with carbs. So I guess you could say it was a low carb diet but with no measuring or counting involved; having said that I still managed steak and chips occasionally. I’ve never been a big drinker but I also keep the alcohol down to the occasional glass of wine with Sunday lunch, around 1 unit per week.

I found Professor Roy Taylor’s book “Life Without Diabetes” a great source of information and guidance and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in diabetes, whether they are sufferers or not.

This is my own journey, I am certainly not suggesting that this will cure anyone, nor will it be approprate for everyone. I accept that I am now a diabetic, but if diet and life style can keep me off the medication and in remission then that can only be a good thing.

In addition I should say that a side effect, presumably of losing over 2 1/2 stone, is that I am also now off my blood pressure medication which I had been taking for about the last 8 years!

Thanks for sharing your story. I was also diagnosed in July, a lower HBA1C but significantly more weight; my BMI was around 37.

I didn't know better so I took the meds offered but I also followed a similar diet plan to you, watching carbs, cutting out all the ****. I'd lost almost 30kg when my bloods were retaken this month and my HB1AC was down to 41.

I'm off the Metformin and Statins now and trying to maintain or lower my glucose levels by continuing to lose weight, exercise and eat better.

Paul A G

Thanks for sharing your story. I was also diagnosed in July, a lower HBA1C but significantly more weight; my BMI was around 37.

I didn't know better so I took the meds offered but I also followed a similar diet plan to you, watching carbs, cutting out all the ****. I'd lost almost 30kg when my bloods were retaken this month and my HB1AC was down to 41.

I'm off the Metformin and Statins now and trying to maintain or lower my glucose levels by continuing to lose weight, exercise and eat better.

Wow! And I though I'd done pretty well loosing 18kg.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting this story @Paul A G
It was timely as I have been reading a lot of other sites/groups which have an extreme view or method so it was refreshing and heartening to be reminded that a moderate and sustainable approach can work. That's what I try, but every so often the doubts creep in. Thanks for reminding me 'average' and 'reasonable' and 'successful' can still co-exist in diabetes and low carbing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paul A G I still don't understand the attraction of chips - I don't restrict calories, only carbs, but I eat my steak with a stir fry of mushrooms, tomato, sweet pepper, and part of a packet of frozen stir fry mixture, plus anything I find in the fridge - and find it very tasty.

Paul A G

@Paul A G I still don't understand the attraction of chips - I don't restrict calories, only carbs, but I eat my steak with a stir fry of mushrooms, tomato, sweet pepper, and part of a packet of frozen stir fry mixture, plus anything I find in the fridge - and find it very tasty.
"Horses for courses" I guess.