Regular moderate exercise log

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @flexi06 I like Bilkman he advocates meat eating! I do have weights both free and a weight machine but at the moment I am waiting for MRI scan results before doing anything much/at all with them. I have some good core exercises which are back friendly given by @johnpol and some great advice for a swimming execise given by @kev-w .
Today I decided to walk more. Two 1 hr plus walks and general pootling about 21k steps.

Great stuff

Reactions: kev-w

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Deadlift tonight and it was terrible, 165kg 5x3, but with my knee feeling like it is, and my old hips (need new ones) really painful it was torture. But I did it, pain is only temporary and I have plan's to compete so one knackered foot in front of the other. Hopefully my hips won't be as bad next week. Take care everyone

Reactions: kev-w and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
12,000 steps today.
1 hr pilates class.
Set of 30second squats when my bg was unexpectedly high after what I thought was a low carb snack bar. Seemed to do the trick as bg dropped by 3 within the hour.
Core exercises to follow as I’m off to bed.

Reactions: Freema and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Deadlift tonight and it was terrible, 165kg 5x3, but with my knee feeling like it is, and my old hips (need new ones) really painful it was torture. But I did it, pain is only temporary and I have plan's to compete so one knackered foot in front of the other. Hopefully my hips won't be as bad next week. Take care everyone

Do you use those elastic knee wraps for squatting & deadlifts? I find myself lacking confidence and ability to go over 100kg without strapping my knees up!

And 165kg is a right weight anyway, that's 3 x 20kg plates plus a 10 & 2.5 a side on an Olympic bar! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was stopped from swimming on Wednesday, Thurs and Friday. Saturday will be difficult too.
My 11yr old is ill now. 5yr old is well and roaring to swim/jump/splash. Me too.
Been mostly at home again to nurse older boy.
Trips to Dr's mostly and shopping.
Next week should be hugely better.
Painkillers still working but still have very slow walking and cannot do anything spritely. I really don't know why.
I just cannot get fired up with movement. So slow it still is.

I'm wondering if 5mg betablocker for high blood pressure?

Reactions: Freema

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you use those elastic knee wraps for squatting & deadlifts? I find myself lacking confidence and ability to go over 100kg without strapping my knees up!

And 165kg is a right weight anyway, that's 3 x 20kg plates plus a 10 & 2.5 a side on an Olympic bar! :)
No I don't use any knee supports as they aren't allowed in competitions for deadlifts, but I am starting to use them when I squat as the pain in my knees is becoming well a pain!!:blackeye:

Reactions: ianpspurs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
still have very slow walking and cannot do anything spritely. I really don't know why.
I just cannot get fired up with movement. So slow it still is.

I'm wondering if 5mg betablocker for high blood pressure?
In the past I was told to take a very low dose of beta blockers whenever I had an episode of AF. I always found that the beta blockers made no difference to the AF, which would resolve when it chose and not before, but once having taken a beta blocker the next day was always ruined, as I felt so weak I could hardly walk upstairs in my house. So the "cure", which cured nothing, was actually much more disabling than the AF.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Yesterday saw a paltry 7,860 steps. That’s just about my base level - did nothing other than normal walks to and from stations on the way to and from work and a short trip to buy lunch.

Upped things a bit today - had an afternoon meeting so left a bit early and only took public transport part of the way which meant a 30 minute walk to get there. Result 12,926 steps.

Planning on being a bit more active over the weekend whilst watching the shins!

Reactions: Japes

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 2 days of approx 6 hrs sleep, leg cramps and sleepiness have meant little real exercise. Managed 9300 steps yesterday and will get to about 12k today so just gently ticking over. Very oddly bg seems to be lower than the last week or so. @Goonergal don't go overdoing things this weekend save some steps for pacing up and down when the World Cup starts.:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: Japes and flexi06

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
13k steps today, mostly traipsing round London so not exactly brisk walking pace.
20mins static cycling including 3x30sec high impact
@johnpol ‘s core exercises to follow just before bedtime.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
13k steps today, mostly traipsing round London so not exactly brisk walking pace.
20mins static cycling including 3x30sec high impact
@johnpol ‘s core exercises to follow just before bedtime.
Well done on 3 types of exercise you are certainly going for it @DJC3

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on 3 types of exercise you are certainly going for it @DJC3

Thanks. I find these types of exercise much easier to keep going than the gym or swimming, I can do them without any fuss.
I love swimming but hate the palaver associated with it: hair washing, damp towels, other people’s hair on the floor of the changing rooms etc
How’s your swimming coming along btw?

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ended up doing a lot more walking than expected today. Started out with a 4.5 mile walk along the Waterlink way through local areas I’ve never been to before. That was the lon winded way of getting to a Superdrug with pharmacy. Various bus, tube, train and pedestrian journeys later I arrived home having completed 26,427 steps of which 19,024 were aerobic.

Will need to temper things a bit tomorrow.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This won't look very impressive and I'm not sure if I have done well or turned into a lazy so and so. Whichever it is I found it all hard going and dozed off watching the rugby but roused myself enough to walk the dogs this evening. The exercise part was 30-40 minutes strimming very long grass and nettles + hauling out bindweed from holly bushes. 30 mins raking the grass then mowing twice. Another 30 minutes mowing another lawn, Overall 18+K steps but not huge by standards of some others here and many other days of mine previous years.
@Goonergal great walking effort now watch those shins; @flexi06 you are definitely in it to win it; @DJC3 I can manage a length - all need to do is learn to breathe :banghead:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This won't look very impressive and I'm not sure if I have done well or turned into a lazy so and so. Whichever it is I found it all hard going and dozed off watching the rugby but roused myself enough to walk the dogs this evening. The exercise part was 30-40 minutes strimming very long grass and nettles + hauling out bindweed from holly bushes. 30 mins raking the grass then mowing twice. Another 30 minutes mowing another lawn, Overall 18+K steps but not huge by standards of some others here and many other days of mine previous years.
@Goonergal great walking effort now watch those shins; @flexi06 you are definitely in it to win it; @DJC3 I can manage a length - all need to do is learn to breathe :banghead:

Doesn’t sound lazy to me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs that gardening sounds like a great workout to me. Well done on swimming progress.

Ive done 10.5k steps today, a lot of energetic housework plus 20 mins static cycling ( jncluding 3x30 sec high intensity)

Off to bed soon and the core exercises. I managed 2 sets of each yesterday but still can’t lift either leg in the plank.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooo - I'd forgotten about Summer Internationals for the Rugby. Possibly because most of the ones I'm interested in are in the middle of the night!

Properly back on track with the walking again, which is a very good feeling. Full day's walking, as well as a few hours spent putting the world to rights with a friend, is a splendid way to spend a Saturday.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love swimming but hate the palaver associated with it: hair washing, damp towels, other people’s hair on the floor of the changing rooms etc

Have you thought of a swim cap for your hair and flip flops for the showers? I don't need a swim cap so can't really give advice on hair

An enforced break for me this week but hope to get half hour in the pool at some point tomorrow to blow a bit of steam