Regular moderate exercise log

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stepping @Goonergal and well done for getting into cricket. Hope the MRI goes well. For me today was swimming classes, more lawn mowing - finished this round start again Friday probably - dog walking and just crop inspecting. Fitbit says about 14K pedometer 10K - first real difference so one to watch.

I used to play cricket back in the day. Going with some old university friends (and ex team mates), one of whom I saw for the first time in 30 years in September (at T20 finals day).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
A surprising 19,500 steps today - I had a hosp appt at 9:30am and decided to walk rather than catch the bus, its just as quick at that time of day anyway. Add in a couple of dog walks and hey presto!
Also did 15 mins Hiit on static cycle and will grunt and groan through the core exercises very soon.

@Goonergal a day out at the Oval with old friends sounds like perfect relaxation for you, have a great day and hope the MRI doesn’t interfere too much.

@johnpol glad your old coach helped you out, I can’t even imagine what 100kg feels like, let alone 170kg.

@flexi06 keep it up! Brilliant stepping.

@ianpspurs lawnmowing must be great exercise I think ( unless its a sit on mower is it???) Interesting that the fitbit and pedometer give different results, I know which I’d believe!

Reactions: flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
A surprising 19,500 steps today - I had a hosp appt at 9:30am and decided to walk rather than catch the bus, its just as quick at that time of day anyway. Add in a couple of dog walks and hey presto!
Also did 15 mins Hiit on static cycle and will grunt and groan through the core exercises very soon.

@ianpspurs lawnmowing must be great exercise I think ( unless its a sit on mower is it???) Interesting that the fitbit and pedometer give different results, I know which I’d believe!
@DJC3 No wonder your Ha1bc was so good with all that exercise - September's will be amazing. The lawn mowing is all walking. We do have a ride on which my wife loves to use but I like the exercise. I have no tree roots to smash up this summer - loved that exercise. The other good workout is a fence post rammer but no fences this year either. A few logs/roots to split - I really enjoy that job.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 No wonder your Ha1bc was so good with all that exercise - September's will be amazing. The lawn mowing is all walking. We do have a ride on which my wife loves to use but I like the exercise. I have no tree roots to smash up this summer - loved that exercise. The other good workout is a fence post rammer but no fences this year either. A few logs/roots to split - I really enjoy that job.

I’d love a go on a ride on mower - must be great fun.
Splitting logs sounds like great exercise and really good for getting rid of pent up anxiety or anger.
You mentioned in a previous post about mixing different exercises, which is good, but even better when you’re doing something useful too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d love a go on a ride on mower - must be great fun.
Splitting logs sounds like great exercise and really good for getting rid of pent up anxiety or anger.
You mentioned in a previous post about mixing different exercises, which is good, but even better when you’re doing something useful too.

Anyone who wants an extra form of exercise is welcome to come and clean my place!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Splitting logs is very good exercise and does work off anger. Heats you 2 or 3 times (4 times if you saw trees by hand which I sometimes do - sawing, splitting, stacking, burning.) I have enjoyed this from childhood. The best exercise is splitting tree roots which need axe/maul as sledge hammer and wedges. Most of our wood comes ready split on a trailer but I really enjoy wheelbarrowing it and stacking it. Real sense of satisfaction in seeing a neatly stacked wood pile and stacking a ton or so is good exercise. Might you enjoy such rustic pursuits if you relocate to Kernow?

Last edited:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great that the old coach was on hand to sharpen you up johnpol- a reminder that we can all slip into familiarity- glad he helped - keep up the inspiration for us all - I will be picking ur brain (and muscles) at some point for advice.;)
No problem, hopefully I can help you. as I want to qualify for the British Championships next year (eye surgeries going Ok) my old coach wants me to be the best version of me possible. we have known each other for as long as I have trained (34yrs now) and as he has just won British and European titles, as well as setting world records, I had better listen to him!!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Splitting logs is very good exercise and does work off anger. Heats you 2 or 3 times (4 times if you saw trees by hand which I sometimes do - sawing, splitting, stacking, burning.) I have enjoyed this from childhood. The best exercise is splitting tree roots which need axe/maul as sledge hammer and wedges. Most of our wood comes ready split on a trailer but I really enjoy wheelbarrowing it and stacking it. Real sense of satisfaction in seeing a neatly stacked wood pile and stacking a ton or so is good exercise. Might you enjoy such rustic pursuits if you relocate to Kernow?

Sounds super energetic, I expect I’ll have a go but I’m quite weedy so will probably pass the buck very soon.
A log pile fills me with dread actually, I can admire from afar but way too spidery to get close to.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A log pile fills me with dread actually, I can admire from afar but way too spidery to get close to.
Log piles are quite the thing hereabouts maybe some kind of link to the idea of the size of a man's car and all that:angelic:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ho hum felt good yesterday, felt ok today then a sudden dip with the return of this morning’s headache and previous awful feeling. I did 16,096 today before I took a turn for the worst- it’s all a bit complicated with salt and blood pressure and medicine- I think it’s a bit beyond how much I am prepared to focus on the minutiae of this lchf. I’m hoping I can find an “easy” solution. I think I will go back on the bp meds as readings a bit high today but ask doc for a lower dose. We keep trying till we get the balance don’t we ? Now where are those headache tablets......

Reactions: DJC3 and johnpol

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. I think I will go back on the bp meds as readings a bit high today but ask doc for a lower dose. We keep trying till we get the balance don’t we ? Now where are those headache tablets......
@flexi06 You are a proper trooper continually racking up the steps. Talking to your Doc about your BP meds sounds like an excellent idea. I hope the headaches subside as you deserve to carry on your excellent work without handicaps.
Myself and my good lady have had gippy tummies today even though I am now 75 hrs fasted! It gave me an excuse to laze about and watch the cricket but I have managed 12K steps so probably break even.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bench press tonight, pretty poor 120kg 2x2, felt OK but my old coach stepped in again, told me off (again) and gave me a program to help me progress. So back to basics for me one step in front of the other

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Reasonably lazy day watching cricket, but started the day with a 40 minute walk to the hospital for MRI scan, which helped get steps up to 13,749.

Reactions: DJC3 and johnpol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
12,356 steps today. Dodgy foot playing up so daughter stepped in for evening dog walk thankfully.
20mins on the static cycle with 3x 30sec high resistance intervals.
Core exercises now, then off to bed.

@flexi06 and @ianpspurs hope you both feel better tomorrow

Last edited:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@flexi06 You are a proper trooper continually racking up the steps. Talking to your Doc about your BP meds sounds like an excellent idea. I hope the headaches subside as you deserve to carry on your excellent work without handicaps.
Myself and my good lady have had gippy tummies today even though I am now 75 hrs fasted! It gave me an excuse to laze about and watch the cricket but I have managed 12K steps so probably break even.

Wow- 75 hours do you notice tiredness after extended fasting like this ? I’m impressed- plus you do all that activity - hope u and the mrs feel better quickly. I’ve taken half my usual dose of bp tab this morning so let’s hope the headaches subside.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow- 75 hours do you notice tiredness after extended fasting like this ? I’m impressed- plus you do all that activity - hope u and the mrs feel better quickly. I’ve taken half my usual dose of bp tab this morning so let’s hope the headaches subside.
@flexi06 TBH I think I am using fasting as the easy option. It works and takes far less self control than say OMAD. I also need to do more exercise but in summer the lawns need lots of cutting. I am more in awe of people like yourself, @Goonergal @DJC3 as well as @kev-w and @johnpol. Hopefully by the end of July docs will solve my back/legs issues and I can exercise more.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@flexi06 TBH I think I am using fasting as the easy option. It works and takes far less self control than say OMAD. I also need to do more exercise but in summer the lawns need lots of cutting. I am more in awe of people like yourself, @Goonergal @DJC3 as well as @kev-w and @johnpol. Hopefully by the end of July docs will solve my back/legs issues and I can exercise more.

Goodness! Don’t think Ive ever been the focus of anyone’s awe before, and I’m certain I don’t deserve it now! I’m not in the same league as the others, but thank you anyway,
I am in awe of you: learning to swim as an adult takes a lot of dedication and effort, as does your persistence in tweaking diet/ fasting/ exercise to get the best results.
Are you feeling better today?