Regular moderate exercise log

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Around 12k steps today. 15 mins on the static bike which included 3x30 sec highest resistance intervals. Half killed me in the stuffiness of our living room.
1hr yoga this evening, luckily mostly stretches and not too strenuous.

@Goonergal do you swim? Might that be better exercise to save your shins temporarily?

@Japes sending hugs, what a totally miserable situation for everyone.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal do you swim? Might that be better exercise to save your shins temporarily?

Hi @DJC3 thanks. Yes, I do swim and may have to make a serious effort to find somewhere I can and want to do that - walking has been so great because I’ve been able to build it into my daily activity so I’m generally just being active, rather than having to carve out time dedicated to exercise. Long term I think that’s the better strategy as it’s more likely to last.

The lack of swimming pools around here is an issue, as are the hours I keep: only pool reasonably close to home is one of those ghastly ones with waves which doesn’t open until well after I’ve arrived for work. By the time I get home it’s full of kids!

Need to see if there’s something close to work that I could get to immediately after work.

A real shame because not 10 minutes away is the building that used to hold 2 large swimming pools that I frequented during my school days. Sadly no longer pools, but an art studio:

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2011/07/laurie-grove-baths.html

Oh, and 11,538 steps and a Pilates session yesterday.

Reactions: ianpspurs and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed Mondays chest session ok, still weaker than I was but getting there, dumb bells press, barbell press, incline flys, flat flys and pull overs, my BS was 8/9 starting and 8 at the end which was pleasing too.

Back for my back today and a swim, hopefully :)

Reactions: Japes and ianpspurs

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes sending hugs, what a totally miserable situation for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. It will actually be benefiting some people once we've all retrained ourselves, but not a single person I've spoken to over the last few days is in that category. One bit of me is pretty philosophical about it all - and another bit of me is angry.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes have a cyber hug and prayers for yourself and members of your congregation impacted. Seems like a project for interdenominational collaboration - is that likely?

Not really likely now, as we all had our say in the early stages of the planning. But, I am recording all I hear and feeding it back to the bus company.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 thanks. Yes, I do swim and may have to make a serious effort to find somewhere I can and want to do that - walking has been so great because I’ve been able to build it into my daily activity so I’m generally just being active, rather than having to carve out time dedicated to exercise. Long term I think that’s the better strategy as it’s more likely to last.

The lack of swimming pools around here is an issue, as are the hours I keep: only pool reasonably close to home is one of those ghastly ones with waves which doesn’t open until well after I’ve arrived for work. By the time I get home it’s full of kids!

Need to see if there’s something close to work that I could get to immediately after work.

A real shame because not 10 minutes away is the building that used to hold 2 large swimming pools that I frequented during my school days. Sadly no longer pools, but an art studio:

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2011/07/laurie-grove-baths.html

Oh, and 11,538 steps and a Pilates session yesterday.

I agree, walking is great as you can just build it into your day.
Swimming is a bit of a palaver - even for me, with a pool just up the road. It’s the damp towels and needing shampoo etc sometimes it’s too much effort, but with walking you can just go.
I worked at Charing Cross hospital years ago - they had their own pool so I could swim before work which was ideal.
Hope you find a solution soon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, walking is great as you can just build it into your day.
.... but with walking you can just go.
Interesting discussion @Goonergal and @DJC3. Walking was never really a big part of my way of life from the age I could ride a bike. To this day when I walk I am very conscious it is for me sub optimal ion terms of beneficial exercise and a really slow way of moving around. I am very aware that static cycling does not always translate well to real world but since I have bike, helmet, hi vis etc may give it a go.
Did you ladies grow up walking?, I know my wife who was born and raised in London walked a great deal growing up.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning last nights session was deadlift, which consisted of 160kg 6x4, then decided to do a top set of 190kg x2. which consisted of some of the ropiest deadlifts you will ever have the misfortune of witnessing!! But I did it time to wind it back a little and work up to 200kg for reps.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: kev-w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting discussion @Goonergal and @DJC3. Walking was never really a big part of my way of life from the age I could ride a bike. To this day when I walk I am very conscious it is for me sub optimal ion terms of beneficial exercise and a really slow way of moving around. I am very aware that static cycling does not always translate well to real world but since I have bike, helmet, hi vis etc may give it a go.
Did you ladies grow up walking?, I know my wife who was born and raised in London walked a great deal growing up.

Yes, we used to walk most of the time and pocket the bus fare.
I now walk to my local hospital as I can rely on my eta, whereas with public transport I’m either really early as I’ve allowed too much time, or there are delays and I’m stressed about being late. Walking is far more manageable.

It’s much more enjoyable as a passtime with a dog though.

Reactions: kev-w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, we used to walk most of the time and pocket the bus fare.
I now walk to my local hospital as I can rely on my eta, whereas with public transport I’m either really early as I’ve allowed too much time.

Snap! Another bus fare pocketer here! I adore walking and exploring - and it lends itself to my photography hobby.

And @DJC3 inspired by you I have been swimming this evening. Walking home from work sweltering I decided to check out local options. Lon and behold the pool near to me now has a 25 metre pool as well as the leisure pool with waves. Not only that, Tuesday night’s turn out to be the women only lane swim night. Wolfed down dinner and headed out. Very friendly crowd and enjoyed a 20 minute swim, which only ended because I got cramp in my feet which wouldn’t go away. Might become a regular Tuesday evening activity now.

In other news, racked up just over 10k steps.

Reactions: DJC3 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Swimming is a bit of a palaver - even for me, with a pool just up the road. It’s the damp towels and needing shampoo etc sometimes it’s too much effort.

I don't have the shampoo problem :p

Back day, light to moderate and sounding like the R4 shipping forecast deadlifts at bodyweight x 10 for 3 sets, pull downs up to body weight, seated cable rows to 50kg, bent over rows to 50 (both machine exercises) and some bodyweight barbell shrugs, no swimming :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Snap! Another bus fare pocketer here! I adore walking and exploring - and it lends itself to my photography hobby.

And @DJC3 inspired by you I have been swimming this evening. Walking home from work sweltering I decided to check out local options. Lon and behold the pool near to me now has a 25 metre pool as well as the leisure pool with waves. Not only that, Tuesday night’s turn out to be the women only lane swim night. Wolfed down dinner and headed out. Very friendly crowd and enjoyed a 20 minute swim, which only ended because I got cramp in my feet which wouldn’t go away. Might become a regular Tuesday evening activity now.

In other news, racked up just over 10k steps.

Brilliant @Goonergal. I’ve decided to go tomorrow now!

Reactions: Goonergal and kev-w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will make just over 11k steps by bedtime. Spent the day taking it easy ready for my Nordic Walking class. Loved the class and learned masses. This week was mainly technique so good as it was hot. Next week is a longer walk so hoping it will be cooler. Time well spent.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
13k steps today and 15 mins on the exercise bike this morning.

@ianpspurs more details on the Nordic walking please? Is it complicated?
Also have you noticed you’ve been tagged in the ‘Spreading the Lchf word together...’ thread? I haven’t seen you reply on there.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Also have you noticed you’ve been tagged in the ‘Spreading the Lchf word together...’ thread? I haven’t seen you reply on there.
@DJC3 Didn't know there was such a thread. Nordic walking could probably be made complicated with a poor teacher. Mine was excellent so it was easy. Broke it down it basic routines - 3 parts; arms, feet (of the poles), both together = gear 1; gear 2 = heel down then push off toes (I can't physically do that; gear 3 - longer strides more pace. Next week gear 3 and resistance bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t think the notifications are working properly. I’ve just looked at my ‘watches threads’ list and there are loads with unread posts I haven’t been notified of, and I keep finding I’ve been tagged without getting notified.