Regular moderate exercise log

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@jjraak you are leaping in with both feet aren’t you! It all sounds lots of fun.
Regular walk same as always came to 2.59 miles tonight. This morning I swore I’d get out the mat and do 12 ab crunches. Just so I’d done something. Didn’t happen.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. The last couple of days has been C10k steps with 15 min Hiit with weights in the evening.
@Japes I am smiling at the thought of you marching on the spot until that gent pulled his dog lead in. Good on you, those extendable leads can be really hazardous and annoying.
I can understand those leads in urban areas but some clownshoes have them here in the 200 acre fields. (Probably go home and eat cupcakes with frosting as well):arghh:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand those leads in urban areas but some clownshoes have them here in the 200 acre fields. (Probably go home and eat cupcakes with frosting as well):arghh:

Hahaha yes, the very dregs of humanity!
That has made me laugh properly, which is a great way to start the day.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Not checked in for a while. Been a funny week exercise wise - costochondritis had a major flare up Monday and so lots of naproxen consumed this week. That, fasting and a ridiculously busy week at work has meant very little real workouts done. I have every day done warm up stretches and general yoga type poses with my daughter as she’s been doing her cheerleading training daily as team tryouts draw nearer. Nothing really worth shouting about though. A whole weekend locked up doing coursework awaits me :banghead::banghead: but hoping to achieve more next week as my pain levels seem to be getting more under control again. Not long till the Swim22 challenge starts so I know I’ll have no choice but to make time then anyway

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Not checked in for a while. Been a funny week exercise wise - costochondritis had a major flare up Monday and so lots of naproxen consumed this week. That, fasting and a ridiculously busy week at work has meant very little real workouts done. I have every day done warm up stretches and general yoga type poses with my daughter as she’s been doing her cheerleading training daily as team tryouts draw nearer. Nothing really worth shouting about though. A whole weekend locked up doing coursework awaits me :banghead::banghead: but hoping to achieve more next week as my pain levels seem to be getting more under control again. Not long till the Swim22 challenge starts so I know I’ll have no choice but to make time then anyway
Had to look up costochondritis but very familiar with naproxen - they usually make me very hungry so even more kudos for an on fleek fast.

Reactions: zauberflote

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to look up costochondritis but very familiar with naproxen - they usually make me very hungry so even more kudos for an on fleek fast.
Sorry - an explanation in such a long post would have been useful wouldn’t it :banghead:

Edited to add - for anyone reading my previous post costochondritis is basically inflammation where your ribs join your breastbone. So any movement, or on really bad days even touching the area = lots of pain

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
11.5k steps which is better than I thought with all the wind. Phone appt with physio who basically said there are no recommended core exercises just do whatever I want and if it hurts stop and do some others:arghh::arghh: @Emma_369 no need to apologise and it is good to learn. Do you suffer from that regularly? - sounds painful

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only 1 short walk today carrying heavy bags in the wind to the charity shop so quite an effort really
Spent the morning bringing boxes of books down from the loft for sorting ( actually chucking, not even worth taking to charity shop, why on earth did we put them in the loft in the first place?) this was exhausting and felt like a very strenuous workout.
15 min cardio workout this evening.
Got my first appt with daughter’s friend, the personal trainer at the gym tomorrow morning. I’m a bit apprehensive.
@Emma_369 I’m glad you’re on top of the pain now, sounds like a horrible condition.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
11.5k steps which is better than I thought with all the wind. Phone appt with physio who basically said there are no recommended core exercises just do whatever I want and if it hurts stop and do some others:arghh::arghh: @Emma_369 no need to apologise and it is good to learn. Do you suffer from that regularly? - sounds painful
How helpful from your physio?! I’ve never known them have no suggestions of how to help - I thought finding a rather crazy looking position to put you in whilst doing exercises that offer little long term solution was their speciality :angelic: (can you tell I’ve had so much success with physio over the years)
With my costo, on average I’d say I have a flare up 2-3 times a year which can last anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks. Not sure if it’s hereditary or just bad luck but my mom has it constantly with no periods of relief so I never complain too much as at least mine is only on occasion

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How helpful from your physio?! I’ve never known them have no suggestions of how to help - I thought finding a rather crazy looking position to put you in whilst doing exercises that offer little long term solution was their speciality :angelic: (can you tell I’ve had so much success with physio over the years)
With my costo, on average I’d say I have a flare up 2-3 times a year which can last anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks. Not sure if it’s hereditary or just bad luck but my mom has it constantly with no periods of relief so I never complain too much as at least mine is only on occasion
I think his point was that recent research has shown provided you balance core exercise - left right etc - and no new symptoms occur there are no particular exercises which are better than others. They used to say for stenosis no dead lifts and/or if you do be sure to bend knees but he reckons dead lifts are ok now and by lifting that way if/when unable to lift that way in day to day life could cause more damage. My body suggests he is probably right. Walking on paths and especially cobbles etc causes more problems than weighted squats at any weight I would use. Time to get the weights/bars/rack back out and suck it and see.

Last edited:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Squats this morning worked up to 155kg 2x2, felt OK as I have been working on my stretches to help with my lower back. Plenty to work on.

Take care everyone

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think his point was that recent research has shown provided you balance core exercise - left right etc - and no new symptoms occur there are no particular exercises which are better than others. They used to say for stenosis no dead lifts and/or if you do be sure to bend knees but he reckons dead lifts are ok now and by lifting that way if/when unable to lift that way in day to day life could cause more damage. My body suggests he is probably right. Walking on paths and especially cobbles etc causes more problems than weighted squats at any weight I would use. Time to get the weights/bars/rack back out and suck it and see.
Go onto a website called Squat University, it has some brilliant exercises for the core stability and injury rehabilitation, I'm on it all the time for my falling apart body, it's worth a try

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Go onto a website called Squat University, it has some brilliant exercises for the core stability and injury rehabilitation, I'm on it all the time for my falling apart body, it's worth a try
Thanks @johnpol sounds much more helpful than the physio.:)

Reactions: johnpol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I didn’t get my hour with the PT this morning as one poor soul in an exercise class suffered a massive heart attack and they closed the gym. Luckily the chap, who is 62 and no known heart problems, was given cpr by quick acting gym instructor and kept alive til ambulance crew arrived. He’s now had heart surgery and is recovering in ITU. The staff at that gym can feel very proud of themselves.
We were still psyched up for a gym session though so went to our local one. No PT so probably didn’t use the machines properly, did a lot of leg exercises and cycling.
10k steps today in addition.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emma_369 sorry to hear about your flare up. Hope you soon recover.

@DJC3 glad the heart attack man is ok and good luck with the gym - I quite enjoy the weights.

Yesterday was a bit of a write off - 8.8k steps and got very wet on the way home from work. Today was footie training early morning and I also clocked up 24.6k steps - almost all of them on a long walk after footie.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally taken my left Achilles tendon to be formally diagnosed! (In one of the most entertaining GP appointments ever!) I have exercises to do and have promised to try to be moderate in my walking for a bit. We just didn't formally mention what exactly constituted "moderate".

So, ten miles this morning, three miles after the rugby and ten minutes of exercises for my Achilles tendon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally taken my left Achilles tendon to be formally diagnosed! (In one of the most entertaining GP appointments ever!) I have exercises to do and have promised to try to be moderate in my walking for a bit. We just didn't formally mention what exactly constituted "moderate".

So, ten miles this morning, three miles after the rugby and ten minutes of exercises for my Achilles tendon.

Take care @Japes

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emma_369 sorry to hear about your flare up. Hope you soon recover.

@DJC3 glad the heart attack man is ok and good luck with the gym - I quite enjoy the weights.

Yesterday was a bit of a write off - 8.8k steps and got very wet on the way home from work. Today was footie training early morning and I also clocked up 24.6k steps - almost all of them on a long walk after footie.

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again - your step count is amazing!