Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Retired home after 7 miles walk with, of all things, a dog lead injury.

Dear dog owners, if you must have your dog on a long extending lead, metal chain one, please keep your dog under control and on a short lead in a busy area.
  • Don't let the dog wrap said lead around my legs.
  • Do not tell me, in injured tones, "He's friendly, you don't have to worry." in the process of him trying to lick me whilst I was trying to untangle myself.
  • Do not walk in the cycle half of the path, this lead extending across the walking half of the path with the dog on the muddy grass verge. I couldn't actually see the lead against the path... and the way the dog was wandering about I didn't actually realise it was on a lead until it was too late.
My only consolation was if I'd been really badly injured other than bruised where the dog lead was pulled around my legs, I was but a two minutes walk from A&E as this was the path between A&E and the hospital main entrance. (Um, toilet stop and potential coffee stop as well.)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could somebody please post a pretty photo so we can get rid of my silly one of the Kneading Fingers

This one do you @zauberflote ?

8FFAC8C7-1D47-42DC-9919-F730BC463748.jpeg

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Active day today. 1.5 hours of (not so) walking football - more and more running creeping in recently- followed by very long (roughly 12 miles) walk home via the scenic route along canals, the Thames and various parks. Shaved 20 minutes off my time for the same journey a couple of weeks ago. Legs almost completely seized up now!

@Japes hope you’re not too badly injured.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Active day today. 1.5 hours of (not so) walking football - more and more running creeping in recently- followed by very long (roughly 12 miles) walk home via the scenic route along canals, the Thames and various parks. Shaved 20 minutes off my time for the same journey a couple of weeks ago. Legs almost completely seized up now!

@Japes hope you’re not too badly injured.

Thank you. I do have some bruises developing which I've inspected after a hot bath, but otherwise. I'll live. I was aiming for another 5/6 miles, but was too cross to be safe around people... Never mind, there's always next weekend and hope it's as glorious walking weather as this weekend has been.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Back to the home work outs but only half heartedly in truth. Focusing on strengthening my core
A 55 second plank - was aiming for a minute but caved in too early :banghead:
4 minutes of leg raise - lay on the mat, legs vertical in air for 5 seconds then down to almost the floor but hold just above for 5 seconds, then back up etc etc - stomach definitely felt the pulling
90 second reverse plank

Repeated once more when done, only managing a 48 second plank the second Time.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basic shambolic 11k steps today. Just about the worst possible conditions for me to walk in. Slippery, mud clinging to walking shoes not very lovable but hey ho. Some testing of back needed this week - weights and HIIT - before phone appt with physio on Friday. @Emma_369 way to go with progress from hesitant start. Good luck with the fast - make it to 48 hrs and it is much easier to carry on for longer IMHO.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basic shambolic 11k steps today. Just about the worst possible conditions for me to walk in. Slippery, mud clinging to walking shoes not very lovable but hey ho. Some testing of back needed this week - weights and HIIT - before phone appt with physio on Friday. @Emma_369 way to go with progress from hesitant start. Good luck with the fast - make it to 48 hrs and it is much easier to carry on for longer IMHO.
Yes I hope for longer. 54 hours was my last planned lengthy one. Daytimes don’t bother me. Cooking dinner every night for rest of family is where I find strength of mind has to kick in slightly

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal my mag foam spray was supposed to arrive today but “Amazon so very sorry working hard get on track, get back to us on Wed if you don’t have it” arrrgh. I have been wondering about potassium! No daily orange juice and banana any more... I already take 540 mg of mag oxide/citrate plus some that’s in the multi-vit. But I’m eating WAY more calcium-rich dairy so recently quit the calcium powder. Blood work in a couple weeks may help sort stuff out. My cardiologist ordered me to order PCP to do magnesium. This balance of these minerals has everything to do with heart rhythms, and I have a wacky electrical system anyway . Paying attention to hydration for me is yet another tightrope act. And oh yes to pic!! Can’t wait to see it turn up as the header photo!!! I am jealous of your walks ....hope your leg relaxes tonight.
Oh my gosh @SlimLizzy that running style was always too much for me as a girl! I meant L foot step-hop jump over rope to R foot step-hop. Etc? Or there’s both feet, always the extra hop. You are phenomenal!
@Japes ....and a big ol’ law suit! I am sorry! I’ve had similar, lady was texting on her phone, dog capering, wide path, and I intentionally stopped dead and let the leash tangle on me. She walked several more steps (still looking at phone) before the leash reached its stop point. That moment of her revelation was kinda fun!
@Emma_369 I am mightily impressed at your workout! You are something. also re cooking for fam while fasting- even though I’m not fasting, I have an automatic “lick the spoon” reflex that was very hard to conquer yesterday while cooking flour-rich food for hubby.
Exercise:
Lots of stand-up-sit-down from the church pew, does that count? Regular walk tonight, phone said 2.67 miles. Pushed it a little but was directly after supper so being careful. Gave the face and fingers a workout during a practise session
@ianpspurs yuk walking conditions; and I’ll be thinking of your back

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Couple of days to catch up on
Both days around 10k steps (Sat a little under, Sun a little over)
15 mins weights both days. I’ve been dipping in to Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution again and his presciption for exercise is using weights until you fail but leaving 48hrs between exercising each muscle group. I’ve been doing a whole body work out each time ( watching You tube tutorials) So, Sat was upper body. I only have smallish hand weights so not quite sure what exercises I should do to fill his criteria - tried holding them out at arms length until I couldn’t hold any more. Did this a few times and some lifts and rows I’d done before. Any advice gratefully received. Also did planks and push ups ( with knees on the ground)
Sun. Lower body so squats and lunges mostly.
Done before bed these have both given improved fbgs so I’m pleased about that.
@Japes I’m glad your altercation with the dog wasn’t more serious, must have been a scary few moments. Hugs for the bruising.
@Goonergal I love the photo. 12 mile walk after football? You are a legend.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Yesterday made 11589 steps while clearing and burning a huge pile of brushwod. Moderate gardening? Maybe heavy gardening? Some of the pieces were whole trees. Either way got warm and was on my feet for over six hours.
Should have made it clear, this was at 4pm, final total steps was obviously higher, but forgot to log it.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal thanks for the link! I eat all of those nearly daily except salmon (and a bit too much almond butter lately!), and salmon I only allow myself while on vacation as a long-held habit. To do with environment, won’t bore you. So maybe other stuff is going on. We shall see. Love your bath/shower combo!
@DJC3 ....you may have to buy more weights unless you want to spend half an hour of non-stop lifting on each muscle group! Plain old iron gym weights used to be less expensive compared to the pink and blue kind. To keep the muscle groups balanced, you’ve got to do each one in your day’s area of concentration to failure, or, each one the same, or, some combo that has a longer cycle but keeps you balanced. I think to find your failure point, you’re supposed to find the weight that you can lift 7.99 times, and use weight one step lighter than that, sets of 8 with short rest between each set until you canNOT lift again. I used to have a long upper body routine that included chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, rotators, and probably more. So for example I’d do 3x8 biceps curls with 8lb (say), and one more set with 5. Then the same with triceps extensions or that suicide move, I forget its name. Never got triceps above 5 lb though. And at that time I had good arm definition and a strong chest group. So that was good for me. I never did anything for lower body but Jane Fonda and jogging. It sufficed well. Please please be careful about who you watch on Youtube!!!! If they don’t have the right initials after their names to indicate that they are certified in several fields and belong to the proper academies, you run the risk of learning poor-to-awful form. And Form Is Everything! I shut up now...

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal thanks for the link! I eat all of those nearly daily except salmon (and a bit too much almond butter lately!), and salmon I only allow myself while on vacation as a long-held habit. To do with environment, won’t bore you. So maybe other stuff is going on. We shall see. Love your bath/shower combo!
@DJC3 ....you may have to buy more weights unless you want to spend half an hour of non-stop lifting on each muscle group! Plain old iron gym weights used to be less expensive compared to the pink and blue kind. To keep the muscle groups balanced, you’ve got to do each one in your day’s area of concentration to failure, or, each one the same, or, some combo that has a longer cycle but keeps you balanced. I think to find your failure point, you’re supposed to find the weight that you can lift 7.99 times, and use weight one step lighter than that, sets of 8 with short rest between each set until you canNOT lift again. I used to have a long upper body routine that included chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, rotators, and probably more. So for example I’d do 3x8 biceps curls with 8lb (say), and one more set with 5. Then the same with triceps extensions or that suicide move, I forget its name. Never got triceps above 5 lb though. And at that time I had good arm definition and a strong chest group. So that was good for me. I never did anything for lower body but Jane Fonda and jogging. It sufficed well. Please please be careful about who you watch on Youtube!!!! If they don’t have the right initials after their names to indicate that they are certified in several fields and belong to the proper academies, you run the risk of learning poor-to-awful form. And Form Is Everything! I shut up now...

@zauberflote thank you very much for your advice, it sounds complicated to me at the moment and I know you’re right, I need some heavier weights.

As regards watching stuff on Youtube, you’re right there also. I didn’t mind so much at the beginning when I was doing more of a general fitness workout but if I’m increasing weights I need proper guidance.
As luck would have it my lovely daughter’s just phoned to say that one of the personal trainers at the gym she works at part time, has agreed to help me and I’m now booked in for an hour Saturday morning. I’m dreading it in a way as I’m quite feeble, but needs must.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DJC3 that’s PERFECT!! Don’t worry about feeble; the trainer will be glad to have a blank slate who has no deeply ingrained bad habits! Look forward to it! It will be fun, really!

Reactions: DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
10.2k steps today. Quite satisfied after staying up to watch Superbowl, having to do some nursing and waiting for dry weather to walk the dogs.

You really stayed up until zero dark thirty watching that? My hat is off to you!! It didn’t even start until midnight, right? I hope the commercials were worth it
Ballet class. I am a puny weakling who needs much work. But it was very much fun

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You really stayed up until zero dark thirty watching that? My hat is off to you!! It didn’t even start until midnight, right? I hope the commercials were worth it
Ballet class. I am a puny weakling who needs much work. But it was very much fun
Stayed till 3.00 am and some. No commercials on BBC and Belichick, TB12 and Gronk - like em or not - are something special. I have read and use as a bit of a Mantra Bill Walsh, The score takes care of itself - guess Belichick would be entitled suffocate 'em.