ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On my daily walk today I suffered with an asthma attack. So relieved to get home and back in my warm house. Note to myself.... Avoid evening winter walking.
I'm walking because of the heavy Christmas shopping but the next day exhaustion kicks in. So New Year's resolution less traumatic walking but small walks every day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing worth posting today but have joined No 1 daughter doing a 30 day plank challenge. She is seeing a physio for foot/ leg injury caused by running so can’t run atm and is looking for other ways to keep fit. She’s encouraged me to do this as I have balance problems and rubbish core strength.

https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/ultimate-30-day-plank-challenge-your-strongest-core-ever

Just getting into most of those positions would be an achievement for a weakling like me! Good on you.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing worth posting today but have joined No 1 daughter doing a 30 day plank challenge. She is seeing a physio for foot/ leg injury caused by running so can’t run atm and is looking for other ways to keep fit. She’s encouraged me to do this as I have balance problems and rubbish core strength.

https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/ultimate-30-day-plank-challenge-your-strongest-core-ever
Best wishes for the plank challenge - looks interesting. Rubbish core strength and day 1 is 3 x 45 secs. Day 2 may be fun:arghh:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Sounds like what I’m trying to do. Perhaps I’m just being impatient.

Wouldn’t happen to be the Coseley tunnel would it? Description made me think of it.

Hugs. Have encountered that myself.

Coseley tunnel it most definitely was!

I think, now i'm mostly the other side of them, feet issues are a slow, careful healing process. Frustratingly so, I do admit.

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes for the plank challenge - looks interesting. Rubbish core strength and day 1 is 3 x 45 secs. Day 2 may be fun:arghh:

I didn’t manage 45 secs but 3x 30 is better than 3x0. If I ever get to one hand side plank level I will post a YouTube video!

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t manage 45 secs but 3x 30 is better than 3x0. If I ever get to one hand side plank level I will post a YouTube video!
I look forward to that video. Last PT session I had ended with 3 x glute bridge reps then planks. Glute bridge is "fun"

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coseley tunnel it most definitely was!

I think, now i'm mostly the other side of them, feet issues are a slow, careful healing process. Frustratingly so, I do admit.

I’ve wondered about those steps. Good to know they’re doable - which end of the tunnel were you at? I’ve been through it twice, both times heading to Wolverhampton from Brum. First time I had no idea it was there, headed in and by the time I realised just how long and dark it was, realised that going back the way I came was almost as far as continuing so ploughed on with heart pounding and very slowly! The next time I was prepared with a head torch - entirely different experience.

Today I ventured out to Kew Gardens and then along the Thames Path to Richmond. Probably a bit far (17k steps total), but once you’re on that path, you’re committed until Richmond. Glorious colours and sunshine at Kew.

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much actual walking, around 3 miles. Had intended to do a lot more.
Did 3x30 sec planks and same of @ianpspurs glute bridge. I think my plank challenge will actually consist of repeating day 1 and 2 for 30 days!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much actual walking, around 3 miles. Had intended to do a lot more.
Did 3x30 sec planks and same of @ianpspurs glute bridge. I think my plank challenge will actually consist of repeating day 1 and 2 for 30 days!
Nothing wrong with repeating those 2 daily. I don't know your routine but seems as though that would be additional core work to what went before. Have a great day.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve wondered about those steps. Good to know they’re doable - which end of the tunnel were you at? I’ve been through it twice, both times heading to Wolverhampton from Brum. First time I had no idea it was there, headed in and by the time I realised just how long and dark it was, realised that going back the way I came was almost as far as continuing so ploughed on with heart pounding and very slowly! The next time I was prepared with a head torch - entirely different experience.

I was at the Birmingham end of the tunnel and had seen the men going up and down the steps, so knew they were doable. I quickly decided, after the verbal grief, taking into account the fact it was darkening quite rapidly, and I really did not like the look of that tunnel in the dark with just additional light from my phone, that going up the steps was the better part of valour and I could finish off the walk another time when I'd found where the steps to get me back down to canal level were!

I blame the horse - I lost a good 1/2 hour trying to sort him out.

Today's just been a standard kind of walk day with a rest day tomorrow. But, I am going to clean my several pairs of boots ready for the new year. At least two pairs are most unseemly after encountering what was hiding under leaves or in longer grass along a section of path where cyclists were not good at sharing space and I had to move fast without looking closely at what I might be walking into!! .

I'm keeping this year's targets for next year as, on reflection, they are doable in a year with healthier feet, no days lost to jury service, and hopefully fewer rainy days. I'm not a wet weather walker....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to rest Achilles for a couple of days. 9.3k steps accumulated taking a couple of things back for refunds, buying up plentiful supplies of meat at the butcher and getting to and from the swimming pool early this morning. First swim in months. Managed to get through the initial feeling puffed and complaints from arms and did 30 lengths. About half what I got up to when swimming regularly, but managed to avoid cramp. Partly helped by my new water socks which help prevent toes getting too cold.

Reactions: DJC3 and Japes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Partly helped by my new water socks which help prevent toes getting too cold.
@Goonergal, I'm very interested to read about your socks, as I suffer from really serious circulation problems in my feet, and especially my hands. Are you using wet-socks (as in wet-suit)? I would like to do some swimming but am afraid of getting my extremities too cold. Do you know if wet-gloves as well as wet-socks might be an option? Do you get funny looks wearing them? (Not that I'd really fuss about that.)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal, I'm very interested to read about your socks, as I suffer from really serious circulation problems in my feet, and especially my hands. Are you using wet-socks (as in wet-suit)? I would like to do some swimming but am afraid of getting my extremities too cold. Do you know if wet-gloves as well as wet-socks might be an option? Do you get funny looks wearing them? (Not that I'd really fuss about that.)

Hi. These are the socks I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Socks-Women-Volleyball-Snorkeling/dp/B07B8KBHGS

Yesterday was the first time I used them and they worked well. They were suggested by someone on here - will try and find the thread. No idea about wet gloves, but probably worth a look.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy New Year. What are you doing up so early - you still can't believe a home surrender to Chel*** either, eh? Takes time to come to terms with:angelic:

The less said about that the better! Up early as in bed early - totally wore myself out yesterday. Should never have gone swimming really - was still sore from the gym, tired and hungry, but had made a commitment to myself so ploughed on. Was shattered! You were up early too. What’s your excuse?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The less said about that the better! Up early as in bed early - totally wore myself out yesterday. Should never have gone swimming really - was still sore from the gym, tired and hungry, but had made a commitment to myself so ploughed on. Was shattered! You were up early too. What’s your excuse?
No excuse, just what LC does to me it seems. OMAD yesterday. My theory is LC leaves me pretty hungry most of the time so my body wakes me up to go looking for food but I have taught myself to guzzle tea instead.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday, again not much walking but joined in with daughter’s daily 7 min Hiit session. Her phone emits a shrill whistle at 7pm from an app called 7. Then it gives you 7 mins of pure hell! Yesterday included 4 rounds of wall sits, side to side jumping, Sipder man push ups and mountain climber.
Also did plank challenge - Side plank. Only managed 30 secs instead of 45 per round though, but tbh I’m amazed I managed at all.
Hope you’ve recovered from the swimming marathon yesterday @Goonergal