Regular moderate exercise log

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal a crocus????? And what kind of tree is that -- it looks like someone sanded and hand-rubbed a finish into the wood! Also I am confused by your last two pics...is the sailing ship real, or part of a building, and is it related (and how) to the final pic?
I walked up the street two houses to look a someone's horror-movie inflatable ghost. Not family friendly. Yuk. One more day of rain, then none til Friday!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal a crocus????? And what kind of tree is that -- it looks like someone sanded and hand-rubbed a finish into the wood! Also I am confused by your last two pics...is the sailing ship real, or part of a building, and is it related (and how) to the final pic?

Yes, a crocus. Unfortunately I don’t know what type of tree. Suspect some of the ‘colouring’ was to do with the light. Next time I’m at Kew I’ll check - should be a note on the tree to say what species.

The ship is real it’s the Cutty Sark: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutty_Sark it has that funny ‘base’ due to fire damage - when I was younger it was more traditionally ‘set’ so you could see the underside of the ship while walking past.

No relation to the final picture, which was taken on the opposite side of the Thames, and a few miles along. That is a view of the 02 (same side as Cutty Sark, but further east) viewed from East India Dock Basin, a small nature reserve.

Reactions: zauberflote

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That crocus is more likely a colchicum. They flower in autumn and the flowers come before the leaves

Just a gentle mixed exercise zoom class today. Pulled muscles in hip still hurting

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal and @MrsA2 I was wondering where the leaves were! I wonder if I can grow them here. Are they bulbs?
MrsA2 I'm sorry your hip is still hurting! Kind of spoils every movement, doesn't it. Hope it heals up quickly for you.
Barre class in which I excelled in inventing options. Balance a teeny bit steadier today-- it has lots to do with the weather I think.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote they are corms, which are like bulbs
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/4190/Colchicum-autumnale/Details
Not sure where you are as to whether they'd grow. I like their common name of "Naked Ladies"

Keep up the barre inventions and options, you never know what benefits it may have. My new physio today was impressed with my balance and let me off a range of exercises - result!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@MrsA2 I can see and feel the results, plus which it really is fun even when I get depressed! Thanks for the Naked Ladies I found an article from the state university one state to the south of us, also an ad from Walmart-- so it might grow here. See how I pretend I am going to love gardening in my old age!
A barre class which attacked everything in the front/side core that was exhausted yesterday but didn't hurt yet. NOW it hurts to breathe!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A barre class, in which I again excelled at innovative options. Balance not there-- a cold front is coming through and that sets off the vestibular stuff.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Canal walk today - a stretch of the Coventry canal. That plus general getting about totalled 12.1 miles.

All being well a long walk tomorrow.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last 2 days did the stretch and short exercise routine the physio gave me. Takes a full 40 minutes to do. Aiming to stretch and strengthen hamstrings as apparently its the very tops of my hamstrings that are causing the pain in my lower back

Today actually went to yoga class in a hall :woot:. Only 8 out of possible 12 attendees plenty of space. Was good to do it with others.
Then tonight went line dancing in a hall too. Thats better live too, much easier to follow a life size instructor than one only 8" high perched on my kitchen work top

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Completed a decent canal walk today. Train to Wilnecote early on, then onto the Birmingham and Fazeley canal at Fazeley and walked back into Brum. Stunning sunrises. Sun was so impressed with itself that it promptly hid behind clouds for the rector of the day.

Attachments

• E0BE5AFD-0FC8-469C-9868-E53685D5948E.jpeg
    E0BE5AFD-0FC8-469C-9868-E53685D5948E.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 231
  • B7E3379A-4814-455C-B5F5-A1AD917AE1F7.jpeg
    B7E3379A-4814-455C-B5F5-A1AD917AE1F7.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 218
  • E40105A4-7E19-4514-9B39-7477AA128940.jpeg
    E40105A4-7E19-4514-9B39-7477AA128940.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 0F24C87A-F1F1-43EA-B92C-D3A558BC92C2.jpeg
    0F24C87A-F1F1-43EA-B92C-D3A558BC92C2.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 232
  • B9684F50-EBE9-4CF1-92EB-002D7E66F00B.jpeg
    B9684F50-EBE9-4CF1-92EB-002D7E66F00B.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 219
  • B78DA0CE-4B86-472C-9916-B86076772B24.jpeg
    B78DA0CE-4B86-472C-9916-B86076772B24.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 221

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@MrsA2 I'm glad the physio pinpointed your pain! Here's hoping you get relief. I have exercises for neck and spine that I was given over 30 years ago-- still do most of them daily. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the 8" high instructor except mine is about 6", and I have to cart her around from place to place depending if we're standing or on the floor! She has so much presence that she appears life size in my eye though. And MrZF says she sounds like a drill sergeant! Not really, but indeed she never stops talking very animatedly.
One mile stroller walk with a sleep-resistant baby. He's trying to switch to only one nap each, morning and afternoon, but given how late the morning one is getting, he should soon end up at one nap, period!

Reactions: Goonergal

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Drum roll, if you please.

Not only am I back on pre-March levels of walking, today's walk took place in my pre-lockdown favourite jeans!! First time they have fitted comfortably enough since about mid-April. I should've walked on a different section of West Midlands canals (I was briefly on the Birmingham - Worcester bit south of Cadbury World, but there were too many people around so I changed my plan) and met @Goonergal to celebrate.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drum roll, if you please.

Not only am I back on pre-March levels of walking, today's walk took place in my pre-lockdown favourite jeans!! First time they have fitted comfortably enough since about mid-April. I should've walked on a different section of West Midlands canals (I was briefly on the Birmingham - Worcester bit south of Cadbury World, but there were too many people around so I changed my plan) and met @Goonergal to celebrate.

Not many people at all on my route. Starting early helps! Good news on the jeans.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not many people at all on my route. Starting early helps! Good news on the jeans.

It certainly does help! This I know. Also, with students back, the Birmingham-Worcester canal is a favourite training route for many of their runners/cyclists. I had forgotten that!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Japes loud congratulations and confetti for the jeans! I am still hoping to lose some June post-op chub. Couldn't even try my barre classes for 4 weeks, and was going very easy until 8 weeks. Umbilical hernia (3 little incisional hernias courtesy of a pair of GYN peeks 40+ years ago) mesh repair is No Joke! Far more painful recovery than total hip replacement!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Walked around gardens by the bay, daughter decided to join me. Didn’t measure the distance, at least 2 hours though

Attachments

• 06ADB517-9300-4BF2-8B71-058474D73A49.jpeg
    06ADB517-9300-4BF2-8B71-058474D73A49.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 228
  • C96C1AA9-0539-4F96-8A79-5C67372D46A8.jpeg
    C96C1AA9-0539-4F96-8A79-5C67372D46A8.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 234
  • D3FEE9E6-B14A-49DD-A390-E1BA89E9A31D.jpeg
    D3FEE9E6-B14A-49DD-A390-E1BA89E9A31D.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 30A73BB9-75C9-4770-A01E-7D83BFB0AA37.jpeg
    30A73BB9-75C9-4770-A01E-7D83BFB0AA37.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 6CC4F457-2527-48C5-8F3D-89786102BC91.jpeg
    6CC4F457-2527-48C5-8F3D-89786102BC91.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 225

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A barre class, pre-recorded as teacher out of town on richly deserved vacation

Reactions: Goonergal

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked around gardens by the bay, daughter decided to join me. Didn’t measure the distance, at least 2 hours though
We had a quick visit there back in February, intending to spend longer when staying longe In Singapore on our way back in March.... then got rerouted by Covid, via Bangkok! The gardens were stunning

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tuesday a re-take of that pre-recorded barre class. Wasn't going to waste the 24 hours my free pass gave me!
Thursday barre class again, live.
I had wanted to walk Wednesday; it was a gorgeous day, but too much other stuff got accomplished instead. It always comes down to the flute vs the walk, and the flute has to win currently.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just yoga for me today, but at one point we did tie ourselves in a knot. Was pleased with my knot....until she said now balance on one leg while staying knotted! :woot: