1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Regular moderate exercise log

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by RuthW, Sep 12, 2015.

1. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2 hrs walking this afternoon

• Like Like x 2
  2. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My walking targets (according to my fitness monitor) are still 8,000-and-something. I'm sure I'll not hit 10,000 till the spring! This weather is really knocking my walking. Some of my regular walks are along riverside paths which are either under water or just deep, deep mud, so I'm having to re-think routines that were developing. And I just do not like all this cold rain!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think you are doing well. Most of my walking is town walking as even the local park has some of it's paths under water or really muddy, I have invested in water proof clothing and boots and that has helped but am really hoping for better weather soon, I have been keeping up my usual walking.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Spent Friday in bed sick, weekend full of family stuff and today meetings all day so no lunchbreak. Exercise fail here. Hope to get back on track this week.

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. mekalu2k4

mekalu2k4 Parent · Well-Known Member

Ok, I started my week on a satisfactory note. 16 minutes of running, followed by 35 minutes of resistance workouts.

Dec0341.png

So total is 41 minutes, 490 calories spent.

You can also see yesterday's 5k details.

6. Bebo321

Bebo321 Family member · Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Sorry for butting in here, but I thought I would just make you aware of a thread I posted earlier on today about exercise intensity and fitness. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-and-exciting-information.92345/#post-1057205
    Basically I spotted a study in which walking was tested for effectiveness at managing diabetes (BG levels, weight, %fat, aerobic fitness et). The study compared the benefits of continuous walking, vs intermittent intensive and slow recovery walking (3 mins of each). The results showed an amazing difference, with vastly greater improvements for the combination intensive/recovery form of the exercise.
    Anyway, I just thought I would pop my head in to say that if you're out walking, swimming, or whatever you're doing, try mixing it up a bit. Vary the pace - fast then slow and the results from the study suggest you'll get far more benefits.:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Diakat

Staff Member

Gym today, treadmill, rowing and weights.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 4ratbags

3 hrs walking today.

9. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cycle to work everyday ~ 28 km in total. Tuesday 09/02/16 was the worst conditions I've ever cycled in , torrential rain and westerly 60 km gusts of winds. I was blown off my bike twice , no injuries luckily. Nothing will stop me exercising, it is essential to my T1 management plan :-0

• Like Like x 2
  10. JenniferW

I think I'd read the same reports, and realise when I walk longer distances in the countryside, this comes built in! Paths and gradients aren't even, and nor is my pace. With cycling, it varies even more.

• Like Like x 4
  11. JenniferW

You have my utmost respect! As a child I cycled to school every day, regardless of the weather - there was no alternative. And if it was all too rough, we just got off and pushed our bikes. Now, I let the bad weather put me off even walking!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Diakat

Staff Member

Used to cycle to the station, became too scared while pregnant! Once child arrived the extra half hour journey was too much in the bedtime routine.
    Gym today, cycling in the mix for a change.

• Like Like x 2
  13. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

1 x 30 and 1 x 24 minute walks trialling using 3 Minute intervals Fast Walking/Strolling as per @Bebo321 earlier post

• Like Like x 6
  14. 4ratbags

3 hrs walking today.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Bebo321

Bebo321 Family member · Well-Known Member

Fantastic! - keep us posted on progress. Let's see if this makes a real difference in 'free living conditions':)

16. Mackempaul

Mackempaul Type 2 · Active Member

I'm back with my PT after a knee operation, my eating is now very healthy and I've not had a reading over 7 for 2 months. It's given me a massive boost and I feel absolutely amazing

• Like Like x 4
  17. JenniferW

First walk for ages where I've gone way over my target number of steps for the day! I'm sure the sunshine and bright blue skies had something to do with it.

• Like Like x 6
  18. LucySW

LucySW Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

What a brilliant idea this thread, @RuthW. I'm going to join you guys. One-hour walk down to the sea and along the beach yesterday in brilliant sun and cold. And four sets of interval training on the cross-trainer - max 18 seconds! But I have to start somewhere.

I overdid some lunges and a warrior pose two weeks ago and hurt my knee, so being very very careful as I work up to things again.

19. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had to pull the pin on my half hour walks yesterday due to some knee soreness. Will start again tomorrow

20. Diakat

Staff Member

Tue 3hrs walking. Today gym.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook