Regular moderate exercise log

S

Sean01

Hola @RuthW

What's moderate about 90 mins of brisk walking? Perfect. Go gal. I enjoy running but the most beneficial exercise mentally and physically is a brisk walk with the dog and not even an hour and a half. 20 mins clears the cobwebs marvellously.
Hola @RuthW

What's moderate about 90 mins of brisk walking? Perfect. Go gal. I enjoy running but the most beneficial exercise mentally and physically is a brisk walk with the dog and not even an hour and a half. 20 mins clears the cobwebs marvellously.
Good luck with the London to Brighton - it's a tough one. I walked the Loch Ness marathon in 7 hrs 25 and was planning on doing the London to Brighton a few years ago - when gout struck!! It's going to take a lot of training - The strain on your body from just walking is going to be huge. The running magazines are full of tips but here's a few to get you started:
  • Don't train for speed - train for distance
  • sort out your hydration and blood sugar requirements and get your body used to what you are planning to do on the day
  • Music is vital - I arranged mine to go with the pace. The rhythm will carry you.
  • Toughen up your feet especially your toes. Use lots of vaseline and get the right trainers
  • Get a few pairs of the right trainers and get them broken in.
  • get organised.
  • Part of my training included a long walk every week - around 18-20 miles - that takes 5-6 hours on top of the twice daily sessions.

I had a friend who thought he was fit and didn't prepare - it's just walking!!!! He got about half way - that's too far to walk without getting a medal. Train to finish and good luck.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did the four intervals on the cross-trainer today. Truly horrid !

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a brilliant idea this thread, @RuthW. I'm going to join you guys. One-hour walk down to the sea and along the beach yesterday in brilliant sun and cold. And four sets of interval training on the cross-trainer - max 18 seconds! But I have to start somewhere.

I overdid some lunges and a warrior pose two weeks ago and hurt my knee, so being very very careful as I work up to things again.
Who me? The absentee OP? Yes, I'm back home in Istanbul now, so I will try to reestablish a routine again and login and post. I have remained more active than before I started the thread, but too busy to drop in. Good to see lots more faces and activity types!

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Swimming yesterday. And does playing musical statues and musical bumps at a kid's party count? If so that's my excercise for today.:happy:

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to ballet class after injured knee recovered. And cycled an hour there and back! Feel a but wiped out thus morning.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did one of my longest walks so far yesterday - on a combination of a day out being a tourist with lots of shopping included! You don't see that in the suggestions for increasing your exercise normally, do you!

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No ex yesterday except cycling to work and back. After the day before's labours, it was agony !

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Gym today, just weights. I shall ache like LucySW tomorrow!

Reactions: 4 people

andyolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors telling me to take tablets
I hit the gym for approx 1hr aday, cardio and weights. The equipment uses Smart Cards so I can tell how many calories I burn. Most days it's 400/500. Don't start thinking I'm an athlete. I control my friend with diet and exercise after completing low calorie diet. It is getting better and I don't see my friend misbehave too much.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Still aching, Diakat! Couldn't face getting on my bike and pedalling back into town for dance tonight. Skulked and websurfed instead. Shame.

andyolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors telling me to take tablets
I've started getting a train at lunch time to 1station back up the line then walk back to the office, most of it is a gradual incline. 2.2 miles in 35mins, beats sitting in the canteen.

Reactions: 8 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Still aching, Diakat! Couldn't face getting on my bike and pedalling back into town for dance tonight. Skulked and websurfed instead. Shame.
Oh no! Hang on in there, it will get better. X

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi All

I am trying to build an exercise habit from a low base from the start of the year. My starting guideline was to meet the 10000 steps a day goal. As I have a sedentary job to do this I walk 30 minutes treadmill each morning (3 minute intervals of 5kmh and 6kmh burning 242 cals) and 30 minutes at morning and afternoon tea again at 3 min intervals of Strolling/Moderate walk. I have been maintaining this for quite a while but changed to the interval stuff a couple of weeks ago after reading a post on here by @Bebo321 about the benefits of interval training for walkers. This is about the max for my knee right now but am looking to include a strength session every second morning starting next week

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello all, gym today cardio and weights. Cardio took me from 1.9 to 6.4 and after the weights and a cool down on the bike I was a lovely 5.8.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have managed to do some interval training every day this week. Very modest - I can only keep it up for about 15 seconds. But it EXHAUSTS me and I feel very weak the next day. Even my normal biking to work is hard. So I think it must be doing me some good. Also, my BG has PLUMMETED this week, about 1 mmol lower. I like that very much.

Reactions: 8 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have been moving, just not posting (had girl) so we have a four mile country walk, some cross London matching between meetings and a nice long weights session today. Yesterday a friend told me that my arms are looking great

Reactions: 6 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I now count myself as an exerciser, so hi all - can I join the party?

Yesterday was my 'rest' day but I did have a lovely walk for an hour just round and about locally - finishing at the pub mid afternoon - shhhhhh...

This morning I am v proud, having done the first of 3 podcasts of week 2 of the 'couch to 5k'. LOVED it - a small step up from week 1 last week (last week was 1 min running, 90 secs walking, this week it's 90 secs running, 2 mins walking). Building up to a 5k race in August - starting slow but I will get there.

Just about to make our picnic lunch for our bike ride later!

Hope to report in after my planned swim tomorrow.

All of this is only suddenly possible thanks to my new-found confidence since going on a pump, AND thanks to my Libre - it's a Godsend!

Have a great (and active, if you're up for it!) day!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I now count myself as an exerciser, so hi all - can I join the party?

Yesterday was my 'rest' day but I did have a lovely walk for an hour just round and about locally - finishing at the pub mid afternoon - shhhhhh...

This morning I am v proud, having done the first of 3 podcasts of week 2 of the 'couch to 5k'. LOVED it - a small step up from week 1 last week (last week was 1 min running, 90 secs walking, this week it's 90 secs running, 2 mins walking). Building up to a 5k race in August - starting slow but I will get there.

Just about to make our picnic lunch for our bike ride later!

Hope to report in after my planned swim tomorrow.

All of this is only suddenly possible thanks to my new-found confidence since going on a pump, AND thanks to my Libre - it's a Godsend!

Have a great (and active, if you're up for it!) day!
Hello and welcome. Well done on pump, libre and getting moving. Sounds like you are doing really well.