Regular moderate exercise log

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I skipped my swim due to a sore back (lifted my old mum earlier in the week and goosed it) so went in the gym for a light upper back session, dead lifts were out, sit ups too but I managed 3 sets x 60 rope crunches but with a lighter weight than normal, 5 sets each of wide & close grip pull downs, to the point my lower back hurt, and another 5 sets on a cable row machine, all starting at 25 reps working to 15 on the heaviest set, glad I went but my back's still sore, hoping to get 30 minutes in the pool tomorrow after work, before legs which will be fun

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of walking today - by my standards anyhow! 50 mins before breakfast. Wander around local market and shops. Dog walk - 15000 steps. The lawnmower repair man has fixed my mower - (missing limb really) - so I am like a pig in whatsit!:woot: Only £20!:woot: Have cut 2 lawns for 30 mins exercise. Fitbit goes all doolallly tap with lawn mowing and racks up mahoosive steps but records it as outdoor bike! Will aim to do another 50 mins walk this evening and play with lawnmower some more tomorrow along with new boys toys to deal with banks and hills which caused the problem. Step counts will exceed 30k easily - need to find my simple pedometer to see what actual steps are. I will probably end up with 3 hrs lawn mowing, strimming, "special forces" tool and raking.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sitting down with a cuppa now feeling whacked after gardening all afternoon. Hoeing, digging and finally planting out. Looks good though, ready for our first propective house buyers tomorrow.
Started the day with 25mins on static cycle keeping a moderate heart rate, went 8.6 virtual Km. the trick for me is to find an engrossing tv prog. If I listen to music I’m still thinking about the time too much and it is a chore. I’m therefore recording programs I want to watch that keep me hooked, and not thinking about my poor legs.
Took dog out for 40min trot afterwards.
I’ve done a bit more than 11,000 steps so far but still have evening dog walk to do.
Note to self: climb more stairs. My phone step counter says I’ve only climbed 5 flights today. I think 10 must be a minimum.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A measly 8,437 steps today. Still nursing sore shins - worrying about a stress fracture - so easing back off the walking for a few days. Not happy as really enjoy walking everywhere. Have a hospitality appointment with the musculoskeletal folks in a couple of weeks.

Will continue with gym and Pilates in the meantime.

@DJC3 my phone counts standing on an escalator - either up or down - as a flight climbed!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not happy as really enjoy walking everywhere. Have appointment with the musculoskeletal folks in a couple of weeks. Will continue with gym and Pilates in the meantime.
@Goonergal hope the medics sort things so you can resume walking. Not fun being in limbo waiting for medics to sort things so we can get on with well loved activities. Take care in the meantime .

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooohhh u lot make me feel bad, ur so active. I think I should do more, in time maybe I will. Well 18,800 steps today but I tip my hat to you gym goers and gardeners. C u 2 Moro xx

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooohhh u lot make me feel bad, ur so active. I think I should do more, in time maybe I will. Well 18,800 steps today but I tip my hat to you gym goers and gardeners. C u 2 Moro xx

>18,000 steps is a tremendous effort, don’t sell yourself short x

Reactions: flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@flexi06 Your 18000 steps is a great effort. My assumption is that you work as well. I at least have all day to use for exercise without all the hassle of commuting and sitting in meetings losing the will to carry on!

Reactions: flexi06

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of hours tidying up the edges of the garden is remarkably effective for blood sugar levels, if less effective for the garden looking as if I've worked in it at all!

After the unfortunate episode with the post-hypo chips and everything BS wise ricocheting all over the place for the following 36 hours (I tell you, my splendidly vigilant students were very strict with me on Friday when it came to Chips at lunchtime. We agreed I could have just one small scoop of them after we'd studied all the numbers on the meter for those 36 hours.) I'm off out to test my newest theory for a longish walk. Will report back later.

Reactions: flexi06 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Front loaded exercise day today due to rain. 80/90 mins lawn mowing; 20m mins strimming; 45 mins dog walking; 15200 steps by 18.30 so will end up about 16000 by bedtime. Did 30 mins on static bike as wife and guest started watching euro song contest and football was on!

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of hours tidying up the edges of the garden is remarkably effective for blood sugar levels, if less effective for the garden looking as if I've worked in it at.

I concur with all of this Japes.

Was up v early cleaning like a woman posessed for house viewings. By 10:30 I’d walked the dog and everything was spotless and I was exhausted.
Noone was allowed a cuppa or anything to eat as I’d polished the sink and didn’t wan’t cups ruining the effect. And woe betide anyone who needed the loo!

I did 20mins on static bike to try and relieve some of the stress I was feeling but then we just decided to go out, the estate agent was arriving at 1pm and we promised to be out of the way by then.
A local club allows dogs so we ate lunch there but then had to walk for an hour in the rain until we were allowed back in our own home.

Around 14,000 steps ( thought it’d be more to be honest but I think we were just trudging, not striding)

Not doing anything else today, will just sit and enjoy the novelty of a pristine house.

Reactions: flexi06 and Japes

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another lazy day aside from 2.5 hours cleaning from about 6.30am.

Shins still sore - although seems to be only when not moving. Very little pain when walking. Odd. About 5,800 steps getting to and from shops.

Hope to be more energetic tomorrow - out of sorts today (dizzy/low blood pressure/sleepy) so early bed for me.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another lazy day aside from 2.5 hours cleaning from about 6.30am.

Shins still sore - although seems to be only when not moving. Very little pain when walking. Odd. About 5,800 steps getting to and from shops.

Hope to be more energetic tomorrow - out of sorts today (dizzy/low blood pressure/sleepy) so early bed for me.
I did leave a reply about this in what have you eaten thread,

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well 18,500 today - not bad for a non work day. I find it easier with structure. I’m a lazy little beast but my lovely boyf encouraged me to walk with him to town and see him off to the train station for his footy so that helped.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well 18,500 today - not bad for a non work day. I find it easier with structure. I’m a lazy little beast but my lovely boyf encouraged me to walk with him to town and see him off to the train station for his footy so that helped.
You are really going for this @flexi06 bg should be doing well on all this walking :) I have been on an "active rest day" so will end up around 11500 steps.

Reactions: DJC3 and flexi06

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes Ian I am. Not sure it’s intense enough for long term but as I lose weight- if my knees hold out that long lol♀️- then I will try to do more. But yes during the day I am finally in 5’s and 6’s and even starting to get the odd 4 ( I heard angels singing lol) I have high hopes for my hba1c

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3