1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Regular moderate exercise log

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by RuthW, Sep 12, 2015.

1. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Last nights deadlift session was definitely one to forget. after last weeks nightmare of a horrible 180kg 5x3, I thought I would drop the weight down a little and do 140kg 5x5, wrong!! felt like it was glued to the floor, and my form was absolutely terrible. I don't think I am capable of pulling the skin off a rice pudding, let alone pull 200kg off the floor!!!! But it's never easy sometimes, so back to basics and reset, and push on. Its what can make or break you and make you despondent. Not me I worked myself into the ground to nearly qualify for Britain's Strongest Man, to then have to retire due to injury. And after having a small stroke, make it back onto the platform. So I see this set back as a mere blip. Makes me stronger mentally. I apologise for the rant, I think I needed it.
    Take care everyone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No exercise today as feeling under the weather will have managed to saunter for about 7k steps by bedtime. Hope everyone else has good days.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

15,150. Thanks to some frantic catching up tonight- it was my last X-PERT Diabetes course today- half a day at my desk trying to get as much work as **** done before I left and 3 hours sitting in the course- had a lot of stepping to make up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flexi06

Hope u feel better Ian, take care.

5. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, I’m back from my couple of days away, no formal exercise but a lot of walking around, sightseeing and shopping. Unfortunately a lot of sitting in tea shops too.

@flexi06 you are doing really well with great walking results.

@ianpspurs you sound really down in the dumps, are you feeling physically unwell or just out of sorts? I hope it passes soon, it’s not like the you I have come to know on here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. DJC3

This made me laugh

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No training last night as for some reason I feel like death, unexplained lethargy so decided to listen to my body and just rest up. will be back tonight though.

Take care everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  8. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just a swim for me yesterday, with child so around 30 lengths, mainly breaststroke and in 2 and 4 length sets as child currently won't put the work in :( which makes me grumpy as I load the carbs a bit and came out of the pool at 11.3.

Legs today, with a bit of luck :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ianpspurs

@DJC3 I hope I just copped a virus. Sunday I ate and rank close to my perfect diet long term. Monday I nailed it all with outside exercise and 2 "proper" meals plus learning how to make toffee bars coated in chocolate. Hope it is a virus but fasting has worked well and I can now make bone broth starting with frozen ingredients.
    Today will be more sport watching, dozing plus gentle dog walking and maybe lawn mowing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DJC3

Sounds like the perfect tonic, hope it does the trick.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DJC3

My daughter bought me a skipping rope and I’ve just had a go. Good God! I managed 10 skips!
    I used to skip all the time as a little girl, when did gravity get so strong and how do boxers manage that effortless little movement when training with a skipping rope?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ianpspurs

All good @DJC3 That's 10 skips more than yesterday and a baseline to judge progression. Would your nearest and dearest have envisaged you skipping and cycling 6 months ago??

• Like Like x 2
  13. kev-w

Todays swim was for 30.09 minutes swimming 1175m mostly breaststroke, with half a dozen lengths or so of crawl thrown in when overtaking was needed then into the gym for legs, they were tired and managed 110kg squats x6 on the heaviest set, with sets of leg curls & extensions and calf raises. I'd had to eat a tube of Glucogel between the pool and the gym as I'd dropped to 4.3 and spiked to 9.9 but have dropped back to 8 when I got home.

Tired now :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #1813 kev-w, May 17, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  14. ianpspurs

My efforts don't even seem worthy of mention after Kev's above. Recovery day today so gentle dog walk, 90 or so minutes lawn mowing split into 3 with sport watching in between. Will end up with 18K steps on fitbit but easing back to life gently.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Still officially in rest mode but have clocked up 15,959 steps today - to and from home/work and respective stations, lunchtime walk to M&S Food Hall and a post dinner walk to Waitrose to stock up on cream and then on to Asda. Both clean out of clotted cream!

Musculoskeletal appointment on Tuesday morning.

@ianpspurs how did your appointment go yesterday?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Work is being a bit more active than usual... which is great for my total step counts but useless for the continuous walking at a brisk pace for 10 minutes or more step count. Telling myself I will catch up on that one over half term is not really working, right now! Neither is trying to talk myself into another 4000 steps. Indecisiveness usually means a rest is a Good Idea!

• Like Like x 5
  17. flexi06

Japes, did I miss the update on ur apt? @ianpspurs hope ur feeling better. @DJC3

• Like Like x 1
  18. flexi06

Oh and 19,360 steps today. night gang x

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. kev-w

Don't mind me at all :) I was into sport as a kid and having got T1 at 17 found keep fit kept my meal plates reasonably full, and in later life helps me maintain a degree of sanity keeping the meal plates full still, it helps that the local council leisure centre is less than 5 minutes walk away, and that there's a pool and gym under the same roof.

Exercise: as long as you enjoy it, it raises your heartbeat and you keep it up you're on the right track and it really doesn't matter what the next guy/gal is doing....

Edit. I just re-read that, "in later life" I'm only 51 and going to go have a long serious word with myself about what "in later life" means, :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1819 kev-w, May 17, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  20. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Thank you for asking, @flexi06 , but I've not had any booked appointments recently and next one is the end of June. But I think @ianpspurs had one yesterday?

However, if I don't get the insulin/exercise timings a bit better in the evenings soon, I may be demanding an appointment sooner. to re-adjust things. I'm used to a walk as soon as I've eaten in the evenings, often to one of the supermarkets in walking distance (not a car owner) which no longer seems a good idea and I may need to change that routine.

Mind you, I've been well and truly attacked by some midgies as I walked by the reservoir and maybe they've eaten all the blood glucose which I was wanting to use up on the walk. The cheek of them!

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook